CMR on Joe Rose right now on the freshmen QB

Advertisement
Even as a true Fresh. If he is that bad that Rosier, the worst D1 QB I have ever seen, is still starting over him then we have problems. We would be better off with whatever tiny bit of playbook Jarren knows over Malik with the whole playbook if he can't throw the ball even close to the player.

Yeah. A guy who doesn't know what plays we're calling, who has what responsibility on the play, what route choices are available would obviously have much more success than a guy with 48 TDs in his last 16 games. Rosier has averaged 3 TDs per game since the beginning of last season. You're certain that a guy who's never played and has not demonstrated the ability to climb up from 4th on the depth chart could do no worse?

Yeah. A guy who doesn't know what plays we're calling, who has what responsibility on the play, what route choices are available would obviously have much more success than a guy with 48 TDs in his last 16 games. Rosier has averaged 3 TDs per game since the beginning of last season. You're certain that a guy who's never played and has not demonstrated the ability to climb up from 4th on the depth chart could do no worse?

No I am not certain, but if he would do worse then he should not be on scholarship.

Advertisement
No I am not certain, but if he would do worse then he should not be on scholarship.
Really? A QB who's good for 21 points per game at Miami over a 16 game stretch, without even factoring in any scores from the running backs, defense, or special teams, isn't worth a scholarship?

Really? A QB who's good for 21 points per game at Miami over a 16 game stretch, without even factoring in any scores from the running backs, defense, or special teams, isn't worth a scholarship?

LMAO you are back to pulling stats out without context again. The only P5 teams he scored 3 TDs against were Duke(7-6 who let Northen Illinois hang 14 on their defense), FSU(the second worst FSU team in 40 years and allowed the Gators trash QB to throw all over them), UNC with more injuries then I have ever seen in my life and finished 3-9, 6-7 VA who let Indiana hang 34 on them, and VA Tech who ended up being extremely overrated and he still needed 4 turnovers to score those TDs.

Advertisement
LMAO you are back to pulling stats out without context again. The only P5 teams he scored 3 TDs against were Duke(7-6 who let Northen Illinois hang 14 on their defense), FSU(the second worst FSU team in 40 years and allowed the Gators trash QB to throw all over them), UNC with more injuries then I have ever seen in my life and finished 3-9, 6-7 VA who let Indiana hang 34 on them, and VA Tech who ended up being extremely overrated and he still needed 4 turnovers to score those TDs.
He’s averaged 3 TDs for 16 games. Even in the games we lost, he scored every TD except for 2 against Wisconsin.

No hard feelings OGH. Shlts broke and I want it fixed too. I’m mostly playing devil’s advocate here trying to show that there’s a reason he’s still the starter. He sucks as a passer. No denying that.

He’s averaged 3 TDs for 16 games. Even in the games we lost, he scored every TD except for 2 against Wisconsin.

No hard feelings OGH. Shlts broke and I want it fixed too. I’m mostly playing devil’s advocate here trying to show that there’s a reason he’s still the starter. He sucks as a passer. No denying that.

He averaged 3 TDs, but that was because he padded his stats with the Bethune Cookman, Toledo, etc. games. Against P5 teams he only scored 3 TDs against 5 teams and they were all teams that had absolute terrible passing defense. vs va Tech was the only one that was decent and he still needed turnovers to get the great field position for him. I know your just playing devils advocate. I also am just breaking your balls lol. I know you are a good poster, but I just like ribbing you a bit after all of our debates last year about Rosier vs Kaaya. I just get so frusturated seeing how good our recievers are, but we have no one that can hit them.

Advertisement
This year, if Fromm is injured, guess what, they have the #1 Dual-Threat QB. They'll probably be fine.

We do not have that level of talent on our bench to just plug a guy in there and see what happens.
We do at qb... I'm sorry but if you limit our gameplan the way it already is than its physically impossible to get any worse with any of the three. I would say with augie dibiase too but that MAY be pushing it. What is the downfall if all you ask ot of the position is the **** you ask of malik?

there's a difference between being up 25 with 8 minutes to go and being up 25 with 48 minutes to go.
All the more reason to get your QB some passing reps. Perry is one injury away from being the starter. You need to get your backup QB reps. Forget worrying about the appearance of running up the score. The opposing coaches understand. Especially early in the season.

Perry not throwing the ball in the Toledo game did a disservice to the team. I guess he improved at handing the ball off.

This year, if Fromm is injured, guess what, they have the #1 Dual-Threat QB. They'll probably be fine.

We do not have that level of talent on our bench to just plug a guy in there and see what happens.
So now it’s a talent argument and not necessarily experience or this drifting line of being “ready?” Do you think Rosier is more talented than the backups?

Advertisement
So now it’s a talent argument and not necessarily experience or this drifting line of being “ready?” Do you think Rosier is more talented than the backups?
I believe I have repeatedly and unequivocally stated, no. And as I stated, if Fromm were to get injured, UGA would probably be okay with Fields. I think it's clear that if they would be definitely better, Fields would be starting regardless of the health of Fromm.

My main point is that even though several people have rightly pointed that freshman starting QBs are becoming increasingly less rare, some teams do it because they have an elite talent that's just ready to play and compete after a camp or two, and some teams do it out of sheer necessity. Those elite QBs that are ready to play right away are usually the ones rated in the top 2 or 3 Pro or Duel. Guys who are in the 5-10 rank are there usually because although they may be highly talented, there's certain aspects of their game that still needs to be developed before they are fully ready to compete at the DI level.

When I say experience, that's not really what I mean, because not all experience is good experience, and the past has shown that bad experiences can really stunt development. It's just more convenient to just say experience than to explain the following:

Experience isn't just a clock that starts at one point and continues to tick towards a positive direction unimpeded. It's simply one factor that goes into the bucket of preparedness. Maturity and confidence are other factors that can increase preparedness, along with experience and grit.

So, in essence, you have two buckets: Talent, and Preparedness. The talent bucket has a lid on it, and you can't add or subtract from it. Some folks have a full bucket, some folks an empty bucket, but most folks are in between those two extremes.

The preparedness bucket is wide open. You can fill it with film study, maturity, confidence, proper conditioning, mechanical development, and grit. Conversely, you can spill from it. Poor coaching, diet, strength and conditioning, loafing in practice, off field distractions, and--for QBs especially--bad experiences, are like shooting holes in the preparedness bucket. These holes have to be patched by the coaching staff or they'll just leak until that bucket is empty, and all you're left with is whatever you have in the talent bucket.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that all of our backup QBs have more in the talent bucket than Rosier, but they all have far less in the preparedness bucket, and the coaching staff has the job of filling their preparedness buckets and patching holes.

None of this is new information to most posters here. I'm just offering up how I have come to understand it and some of the reasoning behind where I think the QBs are in their development and why.

Jarren Williams probably has the most in his preparedness next to Rosier, more in his talent bucket than Cade, and only slightly less in the talent bucket than N'kosi.

Cade missing most of spring put a big ole hole in his preparedness bucket that's still being patched. His talent bucket is less than N'kosi, and Williams, but more than Rosier.

N'kosi's talent bucket was pretty **** full when he got here, but his HS system left his preparedness bucket **** near empty, but he's done the most to add to his preparedness bucket.

If all Rosier had was a talent bucket, he'd never have been able to play here at all. Luckily, His preparedness bucket had big brass balls in it, and he's worked hard in practices, improved his film study, follows his coaching instructions, and improved his body to the point where's he's able to get by for now. But with little in the talent bucket, there's obvious limitations on what he can do, and I just hope it's enough to get us as many wins as possible while the backups can continue to fill their preparedness buckets.

All the more reason to get your QB some passing reps. Perry is one injury away from being the starter. You need to get your backup QB reps. Forget worrying about the appearance of running up the score. The opposing coaches understand. Especially early in the season.

Perry not throwing the ball in the Toledo game did a disservice to the team. I guess he improved at handing the ball off.

Here you go....18:55 mark.

Clemson just had a 33 yard run play. Dabo calls a pass for his 1b starter on 2nd & 5 @ Ga. Southern's 37 with 2:30 left in the game and a 24pt lead.

enjoy...

Last edited:
Here you go....18:55 mark.

Clemson just had a 33 yard run play. Dabo calls a pass for his 1b starter on 2nd & 5 @ Ga. Southern's 37 with 2:30 left in the game and a 24pt lead.

enjoy...

Coach CMR absolutely TRIES NOT to " run up the score " on inferior opponents. Whereas your Dabo's, Urban's, Jimbo's Frost's and like-minded ilk DON'T have a problem with kicking an inferior opponent in the balls, when he's down on the ground ( I call this the good ol' boy mentality of death and destruction. :youre-nuts:). dUh.

Coach CMR absolutely TRIES NOT to " run up the score " on inferior opponents. Whereas your Dabo's, Urban's, Jimbo's Frost's and like-minded ilk DON'T have a problem with kicking an inferior opponent in the balls, when he's down on the ground ( I call this the good ol' boy mentality of death and destruction. :youre-nuts:). dUh.

Didn't we just beat a team 77-0?

Advertisement
Back