Clyde Pinder Jr.

I think we're all saying the same thing, TBH. Yes, height is overrated but until what point? 6-2? 6-1? 6-0? I think there's a point where height does start to become relevant. I'm sure that number has gone down over the decades.

As for DL, height is part of it. More importantly to me is quickness, strength, reach, etc. Not all 6-4 dudes are built the same. Let's put it this way

My big gripe on McShay is that he's the master of the obvious mostly and I'll take Mel and Mayock any day of the week over McShay. :)

Advertisement
IDGAF what his height is. He is good and worth a scholarship. Same listed height as Nesta. This whole discussion is pointless.

A poster e said a 6'0 DT gives them an advantage...it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen...

You're getting too caught up in height. Give me a 6'2" DT who is fast as fvck coming off that snap, hits the chest pads of a OL like a freight train, and can move and change directions with good feet. I'll take that any day over a big *** 6'5" DT who looks good but has zero low leverage and gets pushed around because he's too upright and stiff.

That's my number 1 concern with Jon Ford. Dude is too tall and upright. Just don't think he is twitchy enough to be a Miami DT. I hope I'm wrong about him.

You and Cuban Cane are correct about the arm length and reach advantage that a tall OL would have on a shorter DT. BUT - That's only true if the OL guy has good hands and can get his hands on the DT to neutralize him.

You're better than this, Tee. I know you've seen plenty 'shorter' DTs with burst like a mother fvcker who know how to get an OL guy off balance, get under his pads and then knock him back 5 yards. ****, shorter DTs have feasted on our sorry *** OL for the past 7 years doing this exact thing.

You're getting too caught up in height.
who exactly is getting caught up height?

Give me a 6'2" DT who is fast as fvck coming off that snap, hits the chest pads of a OL like a freight train, and can move and change directions with good feet. I'll take that any day over a big *** 6'5" DT who looks good but has zero low leverage and gets pushed around because he's too upright and stiff.
Everyone wants that regardless of height...again...who is getting caught up in height?

That's my number 1 concern with Jon Ford. Dude is too tall and upright. Just don't think he is twitchy enough to be a Miami DT. I hope I'm wrong about him.
imho it has nothing to do with his god given height and everything to do with how he plays and practices....

You and Cuban Cane are correct about the arm length and reach advantage that a tall OL would have on a shorter DT. BUT - That's only true if the OL guy has good hands and can get his hands on the DT to neutralize him.

Most starting OL have good hands which is why a short DT (Under 6'2) is few & far between on the D1 and NFL level.

I know you've seen plenty 'shorter' DTs with burst like a mother fvcker who know how to get an OL guy off balance, get under his pads and then knock him back 5 yards. ****, shorter DTs have feasted on our sorry *** OL for the past 7 years doing this exact thing.

Name those guys at the University of Miami that fit that bill..now from our rivals? what about Bama, what about Clemson? OSU? Pro Bowlers, NFL HOF......John Randle and Aaron Donald are the only guys that come to mind.

Nevertheless...I love Pinder...I want him badly.

Everyone wants that regardless of height...again...who is getting caught up in height?

imho it has nothing to do with his god given height and everything to do with how he plays and practices....

Most starting OL have good hands which is why a short DT (Under 6'2) is few & far between on the D1 and NFL level.

Name those guys at the University of Miami that fit that bill..now from our rivals? what about Bama, what about Clemson? OSU? Pro Bowlers, NFL HOF......John Randle and Aaron Donald are the only guys that come to mind.

Thank you. All I wanted to hear from you was that last line.

Advertisement
I still like Baby Richt over you....again...and baby richt has nothing to do with your statement...you liking his talent means what exactly? lololo...come on fam.

Are you retarded? You don't see it bc you're a biased homer...it's really simple...Nesta is undersized for his position as like Hodges for his yet you're fine with nesta bc as you stated "you know him personally".

Looking bad to who? You? The same dude that wrote this dumb ****?

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fool you're trying way too hard and look like a football ****** with this statement. Football 101: .Smaller type DT and 1 tech are exact OPPOSITES of each other so how in the world can you want Pinder as both? Clueless

Nah you're so badly uninformed on this particular player that it made me realize you don't know **** about anyone.

Where does Baby Richt coach?.

-Nesta plays a position where height ISNT a premium. Nesta is another atmosphere at his position coming in as a freshman as compared to Hodges. I'm fine with Nesta because he is a much better player. But it isnt an either or considering they play two total different positions with no correlation ...and they are both CANES.

Pinder isnt SMALL...He is smaller in height but not WEIGHT....,dude is 300 pounds...not sure where that is considered small. He can play the 1tech ..HERE for us...considering our current guy manning that spot is PAT BETHEL who isnt BIG if you are going by the standards.

Badly uninformed on which player?. You are stillc arrying feelings for me because i called Hodges short months ago.. *Newsflash...HE IS ...and everybody feels the same way other than You for whatever reason.

I dont know how much times i gotta say he looks to be a good player for you to get it?. I feel he has a place here as a move te...and i feel he can be productive. You know him cool...

sh*t im there with you i wanted your player Dixon more than most of the dbs we were after...i dont know why you think you got smoke with me? lol

You suppose to be my Tampa Plug on recruits

Last edited:
It makes absolutely no sense. Its like boxing. If you can't reach you can't do anything. Imagine a 5'11 dlineman arm fighting a 6'5 o lineman. Clamps.

Toughest dend i had to block...Elvis Dumervil...tell me what height he was please?. Height and reach are 2 different things. My college roomate was 6'4+ and made it to the nfl as well...but Dumervil was a task.

Preferably i want my dt's around 6'1-6'4

I generally despise McShay - never hear him offer much of anything in his in-depth "analysis" as a scout.

All that said, sure, the age of 6-5 drop back QB has died out - nothing new here. But, you're still hard pressed to find successful QBs < 5-11/6'. Sure, there are the freak outliers like Murray, Wilson, et al, but to assume they all will turn out successful based on a certain model is silly.

Same goes for DT. 6-1/6-2 guys who can get leverage are just as effective as 6-5 monsters in the middle. Nothing new here. But a guy like Donald who can outquick and outpower anyone is hardly the norm. He is a freak of a player.

There isnt much Aaron Donald's walking around thats for sure.

**** Pitt is trying to reproduce him with the kid they took out of MNW Kincey who we thought was too small.
Aaron Donald is a definite outlier. Completely agree with you AUCANE.

Bama typically runs a 3-4..but have cartainly moved to multiple so they wouldnt be on the list for the smaller/shorter dt types as Saban.

FSU- Off head i think FSU has quite a bit i could remember Corey Simon being a smaller (height wise) dt. They just had Derek Nnadi in last year's draft. (I see Pinder being somewhat like him in play style. Jernigan was on the cusp, Broderick Brunkley, Fluellan. They pretty much recruit DL similar to us...and their DL coach likes guys in the 6'1-6'3 range.

Advertisement
Aaron Donald ran a 4.69 forty.

I'm curious to see the testing numbers for all of these guys. As it stands, a DT class of Elijah Roberts and Willie Moise would be excellent. If we add another guy, it would ideally be a freak like Jalen Carter.

Pinder is legit, though, and I'm definitely keeping an eye on him. He dominated on Sunday.

I think we're all saying the same thing, TBH. Yes, height is overrated but until what point? 6-2? 6-1? 6-0? I think there's a point where height does start to become relevant. I'm sure that number has gone down over the decades.

As for DL, height is part of it. More importantly to me is quickness, strength, reach, etc. Not all 6-4 dudes are built the same. Let's put it this way

My big gripe on McShay is that he's the master of the obvious mostly and I'll take Mel and Mayock any day of the week over McShay. :)

Russell Maryland - 6'1
Vince Wilfork - 6'2
Jerome Brown - 6'2
Warren Sapp - 6'2

I'm good with 6 foot and over. Its all about the leverage with DT's...I honestly sometimes worry more about the guys stepping in there at 6'4 and above..

UM

Russell Maryland - 6'1
Vince Wilfork - 6'2
Jerome Brown - 6'2
Warren Sapp - 6'2

I'm good with 6 foot and over. Its all about the leverage with DT's...I honestly sometimes worry more about the guys stepping in there at 6'4 and above..

UM

Bingo

Russell Maryland - 6'1
Vince Wilfork - 6'2
Jerome Brown - 6'2
Warren Sapp - 6'2

UM

Gotta read fam. None of those guy the bill of a short DT outside of Maryland... under 6’2

Advertisement
Bama typically runs a 3-4..but have cartainly moved to multiple so they wouldnt be on the list for the smaller/shorter dt types as Saban.

FSU- Off head i think FSU has quite a bit i could remember Corey Simon being a smaller (height wise) dt. They just had Derek Nnadi in last year's draft. (I see Pinder being somewhat like him in play style. Jernigan was on the cusp, Broderick Brunkley, Fluellan. They pretty much recruit DL similar to us...and their DL coach likes guys in the 6'1-6'3 range.

I said under 6’2

Grady Jarrett is listed at 6’0 305. Dominated at Clemson and was drafted late by the Falcons because of his height. How many sacks did he have against the GOAT in the Super Bowl. He’s a Free Agent about to make a big pay day.

Where does Baby Richt coach?.

-Nesta plays a position where height ISNT a premium. Nesta is another atmosphere at his position coming in as a freshman as compared to Hodges. I'm fine with Nesta because he is a much better player. But it isnt an either or considering they play two total different positions with no correlation ...and they are both CANES.

Pinder isnt SMALL...He is smaller in height but not WEIGHT....,dude is 300 pounds...not sure where that is considered small. He can play the 1tech ..HERE for us...considering our current guy manning that spot is PAT BETHEL who isnt BIG if you are going by the standards.

Badly uninformed on which player?. You are stillc arrying feelings for me because i called Hodges short months ago.. *Newsflash...HE IS ...and everybody feels the same way other than You for whatever reason.

I dont know how much times i gotta say he looks to be a good player for you to get it?. I feel he has a place here as a move te...and i feel he can be productive. You know him cool...

sh*t im there with you i wanted your player Dixon more than most of the dbs we were after...i dont know why you think you got smoke with me? lol

You suppose to be my Tampa Plug on recruits

🤣🤣🤣 my brother brother you know I respects ya...just checking your temperature. We good.

Advertisement
Aaron Donald ran a 4.69 forty.

I'm curious to see the testing numbers for all of these guys. As it stands, a DT class of Elijah Roberts and Willie Moise would be excellent. If we add another guy, it would ideally be a freak like Jalen Carter.

Pinder is legit, though, and I'm definitely keeping an eye on him. He dominated on Sunday.

Riggins an attrition candidate?

Advertisement
Back