Clyde Pinder Jr.

You win in the trenches.

Outside of Willis. Our DT play has been been avg at best.

Snatch as many of these guys as you can. If they can't cut it. They can always transfer out.

Remember when we couldn't even get a DT too even look at us. We still ain't out of the woods. To be turning down DT because of height.

Advertisement
Height is not nearly as important for DTs. It actually helps with pad level and getting underneath Interior Olinemen Honestly if they are shorter, more twitchy, and have long arms, that would be ideal.
I disagree. That statement makes sense in your heard but when your going up against a 6'4 o linemen which isnt even very big and you are 5'10 no matter how low u get it wont matter. You wont reach his body. He gets his hands on you and its over.

You win in the trenches.

Snatch as many of these guys as you can. If they can't cut it. They can always transfer out.

Remember when we couldn't even get a DT too even look at us. We still ain't out of the woods. To be turning down DT because of height.

I wont be good until we are processing guys at DT. I'm in agreement with you. Keep bringing them in by the boatloads.

Lol Jon Richt was a um coach and a decision maker...settle yourself down.
I still like Baby Richt over you....again...and baby richt has nothing to do with your statement...you liking his talent means what exactly? lololo...come on fam.

What does Nesta being short have to do with Hodges being short for his position?. Don't see the comparison at all. Like at all its two different positions.

Are you retarded? You don't see it bc you're a biased homer...it's really simple...Nesta is undersized for his position as like Hodges for his yet you're fine with nesta bc as you stated "you know him personally".

Like you really out here looking bad...and I cant wait either. I wont be sick of flaming you still.

Looking bad to who? You? The same dude that wrote this dumb ****?
I want Pinder...of course im bias he is bahamian. But i want Pinder as the "smaller " type dt or 1 tech.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fool you're trying way too hard and look like a football ****** with this statement. Football 101: .Smaller type DT and 1 tech are exact OPPOSITES of each other so how in the world can you want Pinder as both? Clueless

Mr Hodges you don't have to be in your feelings this bad. I think he is a nice player man lol

Nah you're so badly uninformed on this particular player that it made me realize you don't know **** about anyone.

Advertisement
You win in the trenches.

McIntosh didn't have an average year as a junior and didn't play average imho

I disagree. That statement makes sense in your heard but when your going up against a 6'4 o linemen which isnt even very big and you are 5'10 no matter how low u get it wont matter. You wont reach his body. He gets his hands on you and its over.

Thank you.

Advertisement
I think he measured 6'1" at the combine.

He definitely wasn't mistaken for Pat Riley (6'5") when they were both playing DT at Miami.

Maybe the best DT I've seen at the college and pro level at getting in the backfield - for sure in the top tier.

Big-time DT.

So Sapp went to the actual NFL combine and measured in a 6'2 but these dudes say he's 6'0....oh my gawd LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yall keep bringing up D tackles from 20 years ago. This is a different era the game keeps getting bigger and bigger. Its what separates Alabama and Clemson from others including us. The shortest D lineman at this years national championship was 6'3 with the average height of starting d linemen between both teams being 6'4.71. Gerald Willis our best and most dominant D tackle in the last like 10 years is 6'4. Obviously height does matter! Wake up!! Stop bringing up guys from the past as if its more relevant than the info availabke to you now. And stop bringing up NFL guys!! Those guys are skilled the most skilled in the world at what they do thats another level! They can get away with being small.

Advertisement
Yall keep bringing up D tackles from 20 years ago. This is a different era the game keeps getting bigger and bigger. Its what separates Alabama and Clemson from others including us. The shortest D lineman at this years national championship was 6'3 with the average height of starting d linemen between both teams being 6'4.71. Gerald Willis our best and most dominant D tackle in the last like 10 years is 6'4. Obviously height does matter! Wake up!! Stop bringing up guys from the past as if its more relevant than the info availabke to you now. And stop bringing up NFL guys!! Those guys are skilled the most skilled in the world at what they do thats another level! They can get away with being small.

A poster e said a 6'0 DT gives them an advantage...it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen...

2020 DT Jalen Carter would like a word, the 6'4" 300lbs DT/SDE/TE offers un parallel flexibility. An this is what Manny wants in his dline; big long athletic types that get into the backfield quickly while playing the run on the way or stop an have the length to knock down a pass.

Big Long athletic is great at EDGE. Being tall isn't all that important for DTs. I'd rather have a 6'3" DT than a 6'6" DT. That's what I'm saying.. If the average height is 6'4", I'd rather stay average or go shorter, than go taller, ESPECIALLY for 3tech DTs.
In fact I think theres only like 2 DTs in this upcoming draft class that will be drafted super highly that are even taller than 6'4" - Tillery who is 6'6", and Rashan Gary who is 6'4". Guys like Quinnen Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, ED Oliver (6'2"), Christian Wilkins, Gerald Willis, Dremont Jones (6'2"), Terry Beckner, etc, are mostly listed at 6'3" ( I doubt Willis is gunna be 6'4", but who knows). In the 2018 draft, there were literally 3 DTs that were 6'4" or taller that were drafted in the first 5 rounds- Vita Vea who was Exactly 6'4", Taven Bryan was 6'5", and Rj McIntosh was 6'4.5". Every other DT was shorter.

Advertisement
Did you even read what I said?
First of all, I never said I'd want a DT to be 5'11", now did I. No, I just said shorter. Shorter as opposed to taller. As in I'd rather a 6'2-6'4" DT than a 6'5+ Dt.
Secondly 6'4" Interior OLineman absolutely ARE big. OG/OC are generally on the shorter side compared to OTs.
Also, if you are 6'1" and have 34" arms, you probably will have a longer reach than a guy that is 6'4" with 29" arms. So this idea in your head that just because a guy is taller means that once he gets his hands on the shorter guy, it's over....pure stupidity.

Lastly, yall acting like a 17-18 yr old can't grow 2 inches by the time he graduates college?

Bingo. People love pointing to the outliers (donald, sapp, brees, wilson, et al), but there's a reason they are outliers.

Nesta is talented and I think he can be a fine starter at 6-1 (or whatever height he is), but I'm not seeing the disruptor/dominator just yet. He needs a moose next to him. That said, we're talking CFB impact guy, not a "how does he translate to the pros" guy.

FWIW, average DT height at last year's NFL combines was around 6025.

I actually heard Todd Mcshay interview other day and he was talking about “ prototypical “ and how it’s dying. From heights and sizes, if you can play , you can play. They were discussing Murray being 5’9, and Todd said he’ll be a top 5-10 pick when it’s all said and done.

He also talked up Donald , mentioned that scouts are more ok now with shorter DL for leverage purposes , they can get under the OL and then use quickness.

Pretty good listen , the prototypical stuff has always been overrated , except OL of course.

Ballers can ball.

I actually heard Todd Mcshay interview other day and he was talking about “ prototypical “ and how it’s dying. From heights and sizes, if you can play , you can play. They were discussing Murray being 5’9, and Todd said he’ll be a top 5-10 pick when it’s all said and done.

He also talked up Donald , mentioned that scouts are ok with shorter DL for leverage purposes , they can get under the OL and then use quickness.

Pretty good listen , the prototypical stuff has always been overrated . Ballers can ball.

I generally despise McShay - never hear him offer much of anything in his in-depth "analysis" as a scout.

All that said, sure, the age of 6-5 drop back QB has died out - nothing new here. But, you're still hard pressed to find successful QBs < 5-11/6'. Sure, there are the freak outliers like Murray, Wilson, et al, but to assume they all will turn out successful based on a certain model is silly.

Same goes for DT. 6-1/6-2 guys who can get leverage are just as effective as 6-5 monsters in the middle. Nothing new here. But a guy like Donald who can outquick and outpower anyone is hardly the norm. He is a freak of a player.

I generally despise McShay - never hear him offer much of anything in his in-depth "analysis" as a scout.

All that said, sure, the age of 6-5 drop back QB has died out - nothing new here. But, you're still hard pressed to find successful QBs < 5-11/6'. Sure, there are the freak outliers like Murray, Wilson, et al, but to assume they all will turn out successful based on a certain model is silly.

Same goes for DT. 6-1/6-2 guys who can get leverage are just as effective as 6-5 monsters in the middle. Nothing new here. But a guy like Donald who can outquick and outpower anyone is hardly the norm. He is a freak of a player.

Qb height has always been overrated , always. They never gave dudes a shot for decades and now they’re finally seeing how dumb it really is. Hand size is more important than a dudes height.

Especially in today’s offenses , spread offenses with wider splits giving easy throwing windows.

And DL height is even funnier , like a QBs hand size being more important a dl arm length is far more important than height.

Like I said “ if you can play , you can play”. No matter if you’re 6’0 or 6’5

As for mcshay he knows his stuff and I always enjoy his segments.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back