Closer look at our OL play

It has nothing to do with grading them. It has everything to do with the fact they they did not dominate an inferior line...once again.

They dominated in pass protection and dominated at times in run blocking but was very inconsistent as a unit.....

you are saying the O-line didnt dominate an inferior d-line when that isnt true....... they were just inconsistent at doing so.

Fair enough, but that's what troubles me. Miami should dominate a team like FAU.

I wish we had more a power running, downhill running scheme. All this east-west makes my brain swell.

Advertisement
Henderson was a freshman All American under Stoutland and has regressed under Kehoe, that is the bottom line. If Stoutland could coach him why cant Kehoe? (other than the fact he played football without a helmet too many times)

Miami nites?? hello

CityBoy, you still talk to Mongo?

You have any insight into the this line shuffling?

It has nothing to do with grading them. It has everything to do with the fact they they did not dominate an inferior line...once again.

They dominated in pass protection and dominated at times in run blocking but was very inconsistent as a unit.....

you are saying the O-line didnt dominate an inferior d-line when that isnt true....... they were just inconsistent at doing so.

Fair enough, but that's what troubles me. Miami should dominate a team like FAU.

I wish we had more a power running, downhill running scheme. All this east-west makes my brain swell.

It's a really interesting spot. Duke is an amazing zone runner. An NFL team will do wonders with him in that scheme. But, some of our OL aren't exceptional zone blockers. So, what do you do?

It's a really interesting spot. Duke is an amazing zone runner. An NFL team will do wonders with him in that scheme. But, some of our OL aren't exceptional zone blockers. So, what do you do?

Exactly. You look at Duke and think zone runner immediately. He has all the qualities, but our line seems to struggle at the scheme, or just isn't flat out dominant. Maybe our line would thrive in a power running scheme, but would Duke? Catch 22

Advertisement
For this week, I think the shuffling might actually be beneficial. It's going to be hot and guys are going to get tired.

LT Flowers - Bunche
LG Bunche - Mongo
C McDermott - Wheeler
RG Linder - Wheeler
RT Mongo - Seantrel

I wonder if 1 single OL criticizer actually knows how to grade OL play, rewatched each play and graded them, or if they just notice the bad plays from memory and random youtube videos?

The problem with grading a film is nobody here knows what their actual assignments are. Most people couldn't tell you what linebacker they are responsible for on a play side double team on 16/17 power O.

For this week, I think the shuffling might actually be beneficial. It's going to be hot and guys are going to get tired.

LT Flowers - Bunche
LG Bunche - Mongo
C McDermott - Wheeler
RG Linder - Wheeler
RT Mongo - Seantrel

I don't want to see Bunch anywhere near LT against Florida d ends.

Advertisement
I wonder if 1 single OL criticizer actually knows how to grade OL play, rewatched each play and graded them, or if they just notice the bad plays from memory and random youtube videos?

The problem with grading a film is nobody here knows what their actual assignments are. Most people couldn't tell you what linebacker they are responsible for on a play side double team on 16/17 power O.

This has been mentioned and acknowledged all over the thread, though. But, let's not get into this back and forth again. It almost completely derailed the thread once.

Except Henderson isn't Bunche and doesnt have bad feet. Take a look at Henderson vs Warner last year and tell me he can't play OT.

Your suggestion places a dominant LG and puts him at a position he is weaker at. And puts a RT at a position he has never played. And you suggest doing this before the biggest game in 5+ years. Like I said completely ridiculous.

A center you don't place at Tackle, but a Tackle should have no problem playing Guard. And if you forgot Feliciano has experience playing Tackle and looked good doing it. I also think Linder would make a better Tackle than Henderson but that's just my opinion.. .ridiculous or not.

I also thought Harland Gunn should have played Center during his time here.. .go figure.

The results were that two runs accounted for 115 yards of the total and they got stuffed on two 4th down plays by FAU!!!
I'm not trying to bash them, but I'm really sick of a line with their size and experience not being able to take over a game.

Well said sir! This OL should have pounded FAU into a pulp. Our fans have their favorite players that can do no wrong so they aren't being realistic. My intent was not to bash the guys, but time pinpoint why we struggled on offense.

My apologies, to the weak minded, for expecting more from such a veteran group.

Take away two big runs, wow where do you fund these porsters? Oldkunt's slimey twaat?

Porsters gonna porst

Advertisement
One thing that i dont think anyone has addressed on this site is what is Art Kehoe's O-line philosophy.... is it zone based like Stoutland and Trickett or is it something else?

B/c if he is trying to do what Stoutland and Trickett does w/ their o-line schemes then he doesnt seem to be doing a good job at it.

It's bull****. As a former OL myself, you need to gel as a unit. These kids have been hamstrung by coaching. First, Fisch never really established the run. These kids never ever get a chance to get in a groove, wear down a defense and then dominate. Secondly, these kids are rotatin on the OL waaaaaaaay too much. Wtf are these coaches thinking?!?!? Bye bye chemistry....

Uh most kids down here in SoFla and most great college players can play any spot on the line. Its not like these kids don't have chemistry. They are one of our more solid units. So shut your ******* mouth and don't post dumb ****.

It's bull****. As a former OL myself, you need to gel as a unit. These kids have been hamstrung by coaching. First, Fisch never really established the run. These kids never ever get a chance to get in a groove, wear down a defense and then dominate. Secondly, these kids are rotatin on the OL waaaaaaaay too much. Wtf are these coaches thinking?!?!? Bye bye chemistry....

Uh most kids down here in SoFla and most great college players can play any spot on the line. Its not like these kids don't have chemistry. They are one of our more solid units. So shut your ******* mouth and don't post dumb ****.

Dude, he's not off-base at all with that comment.

Advertisement
The results were that two runs accounted for 115 yards of the total and they got stuffed on two 4th down plays by FAU!!!
I'm not trying to bash them, but I'm really sick of a line with their size and experience not being able to take over a game.

On the first 4th down play, there were ME's on the backside blocking, where we pulled on the play. On the second 4th down play, that one was clearly on Edwards. If he lowers his pad level he scores easily. I don't care if it was FAU. He's not going to get away with running like that at the Division 1 level. Call it a learning opportunity for the true freshman.

I think our O-Line was hyped up so much coming into the season that anything slightly negative derails their efforts in the mind of some posters.

Some of these same guys fell into that trap with our receiver corps a few years back and called them the best group in the nation. Our offensive line will be above average this year but not anything close to a top unit around the country. It will get us to the ACC title game, which is where this teams true abilities currently reside. I can watch this team and not get caught up in all the hype. Miami will be solid, but not top shelf yet.

The former head coach decided to hire zone blocking OCs like Whipple, but recruited kids on the OL better suited for man blocking. The gift that keeps on giving....

But now that the long-awaited matchup against the Gators looms, Golden says it's time to start working to correct some of the mistakes that didn't hurt against FAU, but could be costly against the 10th-ranked Gators.

One issue? Making sure Miami's offensive line — a unit expected to be one of the Hurricanes strengths this season — plays the way Golden wants. Saturday he said some of those players "reverted back to some old habits."

"We had too many guys freelance," Golden said. "I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. What I mean is you can't abandon your technique and you have to bring your skills to the game…We have to get back to doing the techniques we're teaching, hitting our landmarks as running backs, blocking the proper angles as offensive linemen, have the poise to bring it into the game and just get better this week."

There were some plays where guys basically missed their blocks, which is what i was pointing too in the original post. Half the plays, henderson did not keep his feet in run blocking, and that's not speaking of the plays he flat out missed a guy when he attempted to cut block him. his feet were sloppy, meaning his footwork in regards to his technique.

Funny how we all tend to read something and comprehend it to be something off the wall. I've been sitting back laughing at some of this stuff, but through it all, we manage to learn from each other. I love this board!!

The guys played sloppy, and as I said in my original post, i hope it was just rust.

Advertisement
Back