Closer look at our OL play

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
This group was a bit disappointing vs FAU when I saw the game, and a closer look verified how sloppy they were.

Henderson has very sloppy footwork on half the plays as he struggles to keep his feet while run blocking , and our Center doesn't get any push at the point of attack. Overall this group needs to hold their blocks alot longer.

There were several plays when Duke should have had some easy runs, but due to poor OL execution he only managed to get minimal yardage.

In my opinion, id slide Feliciano over to Tackle and place Henderson at Guard. Still wouldn't mind Linder at Center.

This OL needs to step it up!! Hopefully they were just rusty and will play alot better this week!!

[video=youtube;8_BLti2jqiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BLti2jqiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sure, it's clear that his pass blocking is better than his run blocking, but you want to take him off of RT? You realize the video you are using to backup your claim starts with a big Duke run being made in Seantrel's hole?

Seantrel has never been a great run blocker and McDermott struggles against bigger, stronger DTs. Nothing Kehoe can really do to alleviate this if it hasn't been fixed by now.

henderson graded well IMO.his guy was always away from the play...
On some of those runs, Stephen should see they stacked that side and he still ran into it....

You can clearly see few DL and LBs making tackles mostly DBs...that is why the chucnks of yards..

SM even points out the SAM and then runs right into the blitz...this bother me

This group was a bit disappointing vs FAU when I saw the game, and a closer look verified how sloppy they were.

Henderson has very sloppy footwork on half the plays as he struggles to keep his feet while run blocking , and our Center doesn't get any push at the point of attack. Overall this group needs to hold their blocks alot longer.

There were several plays when Duke should have had some easy runs, but due to poor OL execution he only managed to get positive yardage.

In my opinion, id slide Feliciano over to Tackle and place Henderson at Guard.

This OL needs to step it up!! Hopefully they were just rusty and will play alot better this week!!

[video=youtube;8_BLti2jqiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BLti2jqiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Didn't see one pass play where Seantrel didn't stonewall hiss guy.
He was on the ground a few times because the run was away from his side and he's diving to cut someone.
If he's "not good" I'll take 5 just like him and win the national championship.

Advertisement
I also noticed that Henderson was the only lineman running full speed down the field at the end of water's long run.

So you want to move Henderson to a spot he's never played and a nasty left guard to RT permanently?

While I agree that the OL played poorly, your solution is ridiculous.

Just line up (left to right) Flowers, Feliciano, McDermott, Linder, Henderson every snaps and go to work. Can't stand all the substitutions, it doesn't work on the OL. Bunche can play if someone gets hurt or really needs a rest. 4 of those 5 are 3rd round or better guys, the line should be dominant in CFB

Advertisement
So you want to move Henderson to a spot he's never played and a nasty left guard to RT permanently?

Just line up (left to right) Flowers, Feliciano, McDermott, Linder, Henderson every snaps and go to work. Can't stand all the substitutions, it doesn't work on the OL. Bunche can play if someone gets hurt or really needs a rest. 4 of those 5 are 3rd round or better guys, the line should be dominant in CFB

It's common to place the guy with better feet at Tackle. Bad feet is the very reason why Bunche was placed at Guard as well, if you didn't know.. .

It's common to place the guy with better feet at Tackle. Bad feet is the very reason why Bunche was placed at Guard as well, if you didn't know.. .

Seantrel's feet can't be that bad if he's excellent in pass protection at the tackle position. So Bunche's bad feet aren't equalievent to Seantrel's "bad feet". I do wish we would go with a permanent 5 on the line as well instead of all of the mix matching and subs as well.

Last edited:
Except Henderson isn't Bunche and doesnt have bad feet. Take a look at Henderson vs Warner last year and tell me he can't play OT.

Your suggestion places a dominant LG and puts him at a position he is weaker at. And puts a RT at a position he has never played. And you suggest doing this before the biggest game in 5+ years. Like I said completely ridiculous.

BigSonny,

He looked pretty **** good in pass-pro. You're not going to have a guy slide inside when his pass-pro is that solid.

Anyway, some observations:

- He seemed to have some lapses. While he did very well kicking out, there were 1 or two snaps when a guy got underneath him on the edge. I think that's less of a problem this week and against the type of guys he'll face from UF. It'll actually be more of a problem when he faces some quicker guys who'll bend underneath him.

- He seemed to have a rough time cut blocking. I don't know if it was laziness or just rust, but he missed a handful of them.

- I agree he needs to lock in better when on the move and hold his block.

- * Let me add that he has to be careful going low when someone is engaged up top. Don't need one of those 15 yarders.

I'm going to watch the rest of them individually now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Golden said a few of the olineman went back to old habits vs fau. I think linder and mcdermott are good pass blockers but are not very physical run blocking.

Erek Flowers

- Started out rough

- Seemed off-balance early in the game against the edge rush, but got better

- Hustles his *** off nearly every play

- Works the backside zone blocking with Feliciano pretty well. At one point, they wiped out 3 guys between them. Would like to see Duke cutback to that side.

- Still leans a little at LT. I'm sure they'll be working him on bending at the knees against the shorter DL. Again, he'll be facing plus-sized DL this week, so I like the matchup better.

- Feliciano got in at LT with Bunche at LG. I'm not a fan of that lineup at all.

Advertisement
- Feliciano got in at LT with Bunche at LG. I'm not a fan of that lineup at all.

Are you freaking kidding me? Man, this OL situation is maddening. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the fans would rather we just pick 5 guys and be done with it. This mixing and matching is for the birds.

Erek Flowers

- Started out rough

- Seemed off-balance early in the game against the edge rush, but got better

- Hustles his *** off nearly every play

- Works the backside zone blocking with Feliciano pretty well. At one point, they wiped out 3 guys between them. Would like to see Duke cutback to that side.

- Still leans a little at LT. I'm sure they'll be working him on bending at the knees against the shorter DL. Again, he'll be facing plus-sized DL this week, so I like the matchup better.

I mentioned most of this in another post, but I am not as good as you at explaining. Appreciate it.

Ereck was reaching wayyy too much against their pass rushers, not sure if FAU has any standouts but hope he gets that under control.

We moved Feliciano from RT, to LG, to LT and back. I sure hope the musical chairs was a one game thing. I can understand building depth but moving guys around every series doesnt seem to make sense

Are you freaking kidding me? Man, this OL situation is maddening. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the fans would rather we just pick 5 guys and be done with it. This mixing and matching is for the birds.

It's scary to me because it indicates the coaches are still searching. And, they apparently think Feliciano is this year's Brandon Washington - most dependable, etc. Over the long haul, I rather Feliciano inside where he can consistently do work. I watched Feliciano snap by snap and he missed a couple early on as well. Like I said earlier to WildCat, it's a bunch of good players without that consistent, collective end result. Something is always *slightly* off.

Not to turn this into another kind of thread, but in this game, Morris had a couple instances where he made the OL look worse.

It's bull****. As a former OL myself, you need to gel as a unit. These kids have been hamstrung by coaching. First, Fisch never really established the run. These kids never ever get a chance to get in a groove, wear down a defense and then dominate. Secondly, these kids are rotatin on the OL waaaaaaaay too much. Wtf are these coaches thinking?!?!? Bye bye chemistry....

Advertisement
Back