Closer look at our OL play

So this question is for anyone, whether you thought the OL did well, poor, or undetermined: What percentage of plays would the OL player need to do well on for you to consider them to have done a good job? Do they have to be perfect? I'm curious because that won't happen.

If you can't say if they did good because you don't know the play call then how can you say the did bad except for obvious plays?

Why would anyone take out the great, big plays and not take out the brain fart plays?

The concern is that our OL was supposed to be a strength this year, given their experience and talent. If that is true then we should have no problem pushing back a bottom-feeder D1 defensive line on the goalline and other short yardage situations. But we did struggle, and that is cause for concern.

Put another way, I would not expect a Wisky, OSU, Neb, or any other program w/ historically strong OLs to have any difficulty getting two yards against FAU to convert a first down or punch the ball endzone.

So if we struggle against FAU in short yardage then that does not inspire confidence that we will have success in similar situations against top 15 defenses like UF and FSU.

And what is even more troubling is that this inability to push back crappy def lines has been a problem for several years. It's - I believe - the reason Fisch resorted to the stretch plays and trickery last year rather than banging the ball up the middle to get 2 or 3 yards in a critical situation.

Advertisement
Erek Flowers

- Started out rough

- Seemed off-balance early in the game against the edge rush, but got better

- Hustles his *** off nearly every play

- Works the backside zone blocking with Feliciano pretty well. At one point, they wiped out 3 guys between them. Would like to see Duke cutback to that side.

- Still leans a little at LT. I'm sure they'll be working him on bending at the knees against the shorter DL. Again, he'll be facing plus-sized DL this week, so I like the matchup better.

- Feliciano got in at LT with Bunche at LG. I'm not a fan of that lineup at all.

Anyone else you want to comment on?

Henderson was a freshman All American under Stoutland and has regressed under Kehoe, that is the bottom line. If Stoutland could coach him why cant Kehoe? (other than the fact he played football without a helmet too many times)

Scheme was possibly the issue on the first 4th and short play to Duke. For some reason they Bunche pulled on that play opening up the backside. I hope that was a ***** up on Bunche part and not the blocking scheme. On that play every OL does their part except for Bunche because he has no one to block. If not for the backside penetration Duke gets the first easily. A pulling Bunche is a mistake imo and hopefully we never see that again.

Advertisement
This group was a bit disappointing vs FAU when I saw the game, and a closer look verified how sloppy they were.

Henderson has very sloppy footwork on half the plays as he struggles to keep his feet while run blocking , and our Center doesn't get any push at the point of attack. Overall this group needs to hold their blocks alot longer.

There were several plays when Duke should have had some easy runs, but due to poor OL execution he only managed to get minimal yardage.

In my opinion, id slide Feliciano over to Tackle and place Henderson at Guard. Still wouldn't mind Linder at Center.

This OL needs to step it up!! Hopefully they were just rusty and will play alot better this week!!

[video=youtube;8_BLti2jqiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BLti2jqiM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

What I saw. The defense had nothing coming to it when battling Seantrel. He beasted them. He sealed off the edge for Crawford's touchdown, blocked two players on that first Duke run and his pass pro was excellent. Also What I saw. 4 poor cut block attempts (one that should have been called a personal foul on an already engaged defender and one were his missed block lead to the tackle), the aforementioned play where the DE slid under him and he got away with a hold on Gus' run because he was out of position. He does suck a cut blocks though...I saw none that were effective. B+ grade from me.

Our OL looked pretty terrible at getting out on those WR slip screens.

I think I saw 2 or 3 in those clips and it didn't look like our OL blocked anybody on those plays.

It has nothing to do with grading them. It has everything to do with the fact they they did not dominate an inferior line...once again.

They dominated in pass protection and dominated at times in run blocking but was very inconsistent as a unit.....

you are saying the O-line didnt dominate an inferior d-line when that isnt true....... they were just inconsistent at doing so.

Bunche is by far the most overrated.... last year he looked terrible at LT and he doesnt look good this year at Guard either.

Flowers didnt look good either but I've seen him do a good job so i'm going to wait to see if it was just a focus issue w/ him and not something else.

Advertisement
Bunche is #6 and the mere fact that Golden wants to start him tells me a lot about Golden. This year he is on the clock. If Florida comes into NoLife and blows us out. The wheels will begin to turn against him.

Al needs to dig in Coley's *** and Kehoe's too. Sorry line play with this NFL looking OL is unacceptable.

I honestly can't understand the shuffling on the OL.

Does Henderson just not give a **** in practice? That's the only reason I can think for the staff's unwillingness to start him based on his play in actual games.

Our OL looked pretty terrible at getting out on those WR slip screens.

I think I saw 2 or 3 in those clips and it didn't look like our OL blocked anybody on those plays.

Yea I saw that too, but I dont think if we had an Oline full of WRs, that they could have made it out there in time as fast and awkwardly set up those plays were. It was definitely one were I couldnt fault the Olinemen at all

Advertisement

Does Henderson just not give a **** in practice? That's the only reason I can think for the staff's unwillingness to start him based on his play in actual games.

yeah thats a head scratcher b/c Seantrel Henderson is obviously the best offensive tackle on this team and top 3 w/ Linder and Feliciano.

Scheme was possibly the issue on the first 4th and short play to Duke. For some reason they Bunche pulled on that play opening up the backside. I hope that was a ***** up on Bunche part and not the blocking scheme. On that play every OL does their part except for Bunche because he has no one to block. If not for the backside penetration Duke gets the first easily. A pulling Bunche is a mistake imo and hopefully we never see that again.

If Bunche is pulling then he's not back-side pressure is not his concern. That job belongs to whoever is down-blocking.

yeah thats a head scratcher b/c Seantrel Henderson is obviously the best offensive tackle on this team and top 3 w/ Linder and Feliciano.

Call me crazy but I don't think Duke hits that 53 yard touchdown if Henderson is playing RT on that play.

Feliciano was playing RT and he sprung that run with a nice cut block on the LB. I doubt Henderson makes that block.

Advertisement

Call me crazy but I don't think Duke hits that 53 yard touchdown if Henderson is playing RT on that play.

Feliciano was playing RT and he sprung that run with a nice cut block on the LB. I doubt Henderson makes that block.

I don't think I've ever seen you give a full review of Feliciano. Would you be willing? How good do you think he is now and how good do you think he'll be? I guess from both a college production standpoint and as an NFL prospect.

BigSonny,

He looked pretty **** good in pass-pro. You're not going to have a guy slide inside when his pass-pro is that solid.

Anyway, some observations:

- He seemed to have some lapses. While he did very well kicking out, there were 1 or two snaps when a guy got underneath him on the edge. I think that's less of a problem this week and against the type of guys he'll face from UF. It'll actually be more of a problem when he faces some quicker guys who'll bend underneath him.

- He seemed to have a rough time cut blocking. I don't know if it was laziness or just rust, but he missed a handful of them.

- I agree he needs to lock in better when on the move and hold his block.

- * Let me add that he has to be careful going low when someone is engaged up top. Don't need one of those 15 yarders.

I'm going to watch the rest of them individually now.

I agree completely, overall he had a good game. He should have been called for a chop block at least once that I saw.

It has nothing to do with grading them. It has everything to do with the fact they they did not dominate an inferior line...once again.

They dominated in pass protection and dominated at times in run blocking but was very inconsistent as a unit.....

you are saying the O-line didnt dominate an inferior d-line when that isnt true....... they were just inconsistent at doing so.

Fair enough, but that's what troubles me. Miami should dominate a team like FAU.

I don't think I've ever seen you give a full review of Feliciano. Would you be willing? How good do you think he is now and how good do you think he'll be? I guess from both a college production standpoint and as an NFL prospect.

Well I watch him every play cause he's a former player of mine, but without bias, I truly think he's a stud. I always knew he was good but I was pleasantly surprised to see how easily he's been able to bully people at this level.

What can you say about a kid who's been able to start and do well at Guard and Tackle while at Miami?

Personally, I think he's an NFL guard and I'd be surprised if he made it beyond the 3rd round. I don't think he's our most physically gifted lineman, as I believe that title goes to Linder and Henderson, but I definitely feel like he's our biggest bully. I don't see anybody else rolling people like Feliciano does. If you look at alot of Duke or Lamar Miller's big runs you'll notice that often times it's Feliciano who makes the big block to spring it.

The fact that Miami loves to run "Power" to the right side so often says alot about Feliciano's athletic ability in my opinion. You don't often see us running Power to the left and pulling Linder. It's always Power to the right, block down with Henderson, pull Feliciano.

Advertisement
Back