Clive Walford

ThaiCane

Freshman
I just saw an interesting stat in which the 15 out of the last 16 touches for Clive Walford have either gone for a touchdown or a first down. He's coming into his own as a TE and obviously we need to give him the ball more.

Advertisement
TE is a quarterback's best friend.

We need to get our TEs more involved in the passing game.

We need to start using the TE's in the middle of the field more as well. We have Sandland and Warlord who can press the seam routes and open things up underneath.

I like how we used him against Florida in the flats. Happy to see him actually holding onto the ball this year.

Remember that our last really good offenses with Fancy Boy Dorsey used the TE extensively. When you have weapons like the big Brit Clive and Sandland you have to use them. Opens up the whole offense.

Advertisement
His blocking has also gotten pretty darn good. He is an NFL talent.

Quote from Golden:

"We should be getting him (Walford) the ball more," Golden said."I think he's more mature now. We're going to keep pushing him. ... he's a guy that we have to get involved more."

Remember that our last really good offenses with Fancy Boy Dorsey used the TE extensively. When you have weapons like the big Brit Clive and Sandland you have to use them. Opens up the whole offense.

Remember Dorsey had shockey and Winslow
Two of the QBs best friends
Haven't seen this collection of TEs being comparable
Even still, using them more just gives the defenses more fits and allows Morris another option other than fly patters, posts and incomplete short and intermediate throws

Advertisement
Walford is a proven commodity.

Sandland has done nothing. Cleveland is a good blocker I guess. Would actually like to see Stan Dobard get in the mix.

Sandland hasnt actually been given any opportunities to shine. Its game 2, buddy. Lets not label him Chase Ford just yet. He might not be Shockey. But he doesnt need to be. Just get open and catch whatever comes your way. Thats it. Doesnt even need to be a great blocker. These next few games against low level comp should give him enough confidence for back end of the schedule when we will really need him and Warlord.

Advertisement

Sandland has done nothing. Cleveland is a good blocker I guess. Would actually like to see Stan Dobard get in the mix.

I think Sandland deserves a chance to do something. He is in good shape, give him a chance.

Sandland will be fine but if Dobard isn't going to redshirt then I'd like to see him get a couple looks in the passing game. Asante is the guy that needs to get out of my sight.

Advertisement
Dobard has been in, but they should try to redshirt him. Walford and Sandland need to splitting defenses straight up the seam, not just running in the flats.

Remember Dorsey had shockey and Winslow
Two of the QBs best friends
Haven't seen this collection of TEs being comparable
Even still, using them more just gives the defenses more fits and allows Morris another option other than fly patters, posts and incomplete short and intermediate throws

We have a couple of great weapons at TE. Remember they don't have to be NFL Hall of Famers to be very productive at this level.

Dobard, that kid definitely has my eye. Not sure he's ready yet but he will be so I wouldn't be surprised to see Golden use the same tactics with him as we have seen from numerous other young guys.

I'm a huge Sandland fan so these next few weeks should give us a glimpse if he's a guy that will be a factor down the stretch or not.

Most underrated player on the team. He's a huge mismatch and he we are severely underusing him.

Advertisement
Back