Cleveland Reed hits the Portal

Advertisement
The discussion is about Reed. That’s the problem with this place. Every discussion turns into a referendum against the coaches.

I’m not sure what these coaches will do with the talent we have because they’ve only been in their spots for 3 games. I don’t care what the previous coaches did and won’t hold that against these guys.

As for “development” it’s way overblown. Recruit great talent, and they’ll develop and go to the NFL. Sabag isn’t some genius developer. He buys the best talent and then wins the most and puts the most guys in the league. There’s no magic potion or secret sauce.

Listen my g, Reed is a bi product of a symptom that’s been plaguing this program. Reed ain’t the first player to bounce from us, and per another poster, supposedly more may follow.

So my issue at this point is why? Everyone can’t simply be a quitter, Chise. That’s not the answer for every player that bounces.

But to answer the last part of your post; u can’t say just recruit great talent and they’ll develop. We’ve had the best collection of talent, by far, in the Coastal, and top 3 in the ACC and what to show for it?

This is not a referendum against the coaches; Reed left, Bon voyage; but this transfer seems innately strange based upon timing.

So let me get this str8; u think our player development have been on par? F Reed for a min, b/c Reed is another casualty of the proverbial, “he suck, that’s y he left” theory. I’m talking about our player development in general...this ain’t the first time a freshman or freshmen have taken over spots previously occupied or in line to be taken by an upper classman.
Well we have a whole new offensive staff so who the **** knows how good they will be developed. But based on initial look it is pretty **** good since we have two true frosh starting and doing ok.

Advertisement
Our big bad always brilliant posters rarely funny dropped the ball and didn't see this coming by a long shot. You all missed this by a Country mile. Guess most of you should do less posting and learn about your team a little better.

Advertisement
Dude is a redshirt freshman....smh. He has no fight in him, best he leaves. We don't want to go to war with a guy like this. If anything, not starting should be a motivator. Make you work hard and so you can take a seat at the table and eat. Decisions like this at an early stage of your career usually don't pan out..it has quitter written all over it.

My real problem is the underlying attrition problem we’ve been experiencing for a while now. What’s really going on, here. It can’t just b playing time.

Happening in both directions, too. We can't hold commitments, and then can't keep them on the roster-- attrition or bonehead departures (e.g. Boulware).

Part of it is generational-- instant gratification. I know people will say, "but Bama." Yeah, well, they pay, plus, they win. The guy ahead of you waited, won and made the NFL. We aren't doing much of that.

Some of them just make flippant decisions too. I am really confident Derrick Smith would have played a lot seeing as Amari Carter can't go three plays without a targeting call, e.g. UNC. He played a lot last year, too.

Reed had a bright future here regardless of who got the nod early this season. Our OL is not deep, and there's nothing but opportunity here.

Happening in both directions, too. We can't hold commitments, and then can't keep them on the roster-- attrition or bonehead departures (e.g. Boulware).

Part of it is generational-- instant gratification. I know people will say, "but Bama." Yeah, well, they pay, plus, they win. The guy ahead of you waited, won and made the NFL. We aren't doing much of that.

Some of them just make flippant decisions too. I am really confident Derrick Smith would have played a lot seeing as Amari Carter can't go three plays without a targeting call, e.g. UNC. He played a lot last year, too.

Reed had a bright future here regardless of who got the nod early this season. Our OL is not deep, and there's nothing but opportunity here.
Let's not make like this isn't happening or won't continue to happen at other places sans Alabama, Clemson, etc. Players like Reed don't have to compete because they know they really don't have to. In years past, a player that gets passed up sticks around, provides depth and waits their turn to contribute. Not anymore. Young kids know there are always other options available, even if it looks like a hasty decision at the time. Champaign, Illinois is a miserable place to spend 4 years and their program is dog**** but Smith will likely start there so why not be impulsive?

I have no idea if Barry is/will be a good OL coach, but I can tell you that he appears to be an upgrade over his predecessor and is recruiting/prioritizing a different type of lineman than Searles did.

Advertisement
Let's not make like this isn't happening or won't continue to happen at other places sans Alabama, Clemson, etc. Players like Reed don't have to compete because they know they really don't have to. In years past, a player that gets passed up sticks around, provides depth and waits their turn to contribute. Not anymore. Young kids know there are always other options available, even if it looks like a hasty decision at the time. Champaign, Illinois is a miserable place to spend 4 years and their program is dog**** but Smith will likely start there so why not be impulsive?

I have no idea if Barry is/will be a good OL coach, but I can tell you that he appears to be an upgrade over his predecessor and is recruiting/prioritizing a different type of lineman than Searles did.

Happening everywhere isn't an argument or rationale that holds a lot of water. We need to figure something out to curb some of this. Operating 10 to 15 below our scholarship limit isn't a recipe for success. That's just probation without probation.

Positively, if Diaz did anything during his tenure here as a coordinator, and then as a head coach, it's make adjustments when necessary. Net-net he still has utilized the portal to benefit the roster more than it's hurt. I suspect he will do the same come this offseason focusing on the offensive line.

The portal has not hit teams like it has us. Teams are losing one to maybe two guys. They are losing graduate transfers. We’ve now lost:
1. Asa Martin
2. Cade Weldon (not tripping off of him)
3. Lawrence Cager
4. Marquez Ezzard
5. Derrick Smith
6. Nigel Bethel
7. Cleveland Reed

That’s all in 2019. Now some of these guys are whatever, but optically its a bad look just simply due to our attrition rate since 2010. We’ve lost more players from recruiting classes than any other school by a far & wide margin. So what’s the problem?

Just an FYI, Clemson has had 6 players hit the portal. Again, it's hitting everyone hard, just our roster composition has a bigger impact on us.

Advertisement
Weird decision. Redshirted last year. On the bench this except for a few snaps against BCC. Will have to sit out next year. So he basically will have gone 3 years without meaningful snaps and will have a chance to play for 2 years if he’s lucky. Odds were way better here if he wanted it enough.

Advertisement
Back