Cleveland Reed hits the Portal

Reed won’t be the first or last to leave. Clemson and Alabaga have guys leaving. It’s happening everywhere. I just can’t live like some of you guys do.

To each his own, but I can’t go through life taking a negative approach all the time. The U is in my blood and I love it too much to be so negative about it all the time. Fck Quitland Reed. Ive got no love or empathy for a punk who quits on his teammates midseason or a couple days before the season. It’s feeble and weak and I’ve got no place for guys like that. So fck him. This program will survive a 3rd team Guard with quitting in his blood.

I’ve said this before, but if you guys who follow the team as a hobby are so miserable with your hobby, then it might be time to find a new one. Life’s too short to be so miserable and negative about everything.

And forgive me if I don’t put any stock in the doomsday musings of some anonymous guy calling himself 99cane who seems like a jilted guy.

No cap, Chise, but here, here. Chit is just annoying when we’re trying to rebuild. It’s like we can never get the quality depth that’s needed either due to attrition or players we are recruiting. Regardless, Manny said he has a vision and if players that don’t want to be here can leave. So b it. Let’s just get this dub today and move towards getting better as a team now.

Advertisement
Get used to it. This is the new normal for college football. Its everyone's problem now including all the top teams.

The unintended consequences.

Listen, I ain’t got no problems w kids transferring; but, The NCAA granting immediate eligibility has to simmer down. Even when we benefited from it, I didn’t feel it was right. These jits know chit about commitment or loyalty. If they wanna transfer, then there should be some sort of penalty that comes along w it to slow this chit down. Schools are investing a lot of time & resources in to these kids w the assumption that they will be apart of their program.

I feel based upon when you leave, w/o probable cause (e.g kicked off team, racial injustice) there should be a scholarship penalty (i.e leave after 1st year: 85% school, 15% you. 2nd yr: 90% school, 10% you. 3rd yr: 95% school, 5% you. 4th yr: Scholly maintained 100% funded ), and there should def not be immediate eligibility unless it’s w/ probable cause of you leaving.

This system is flawed and has made these kids more entitled than ever before w no consequence. Again, I’m not just suggesting this b/c of Reed, but Saban for all the bull chit he says does have a point regarding this whole transfer situation. Kids r just leaving just to leave now.

right. He can’t take another red shirt so why not play through the year.

If he had not redshirted, ok, I get it. Don't take the chance of being wasted in games if you truly don't want to be here. But he's already redshirted! Kids getting bad advice. Guarantee he's not thinking about this stuff on his own. He should have left at the end of august, not end of sept.

More transfers to come then you guys will understand what’s going on wish he had stayed the entire semester. Same reason D. Smith transfered but its life no one is bitter **** happens

Are you implying issues at the player level or at the coach level?

Whenever you have a coaching change, you will have transfers. The ease of transfer in 2019 might exacerbate the problem.

But...

All I need to know about Cleveland Reed is that the young man had a one year head start and couldn't beat out Zion Nelson or Jakai Clark (two very low rated three-star players) to enter our top five linemen. As someone else made note of in this thread, he wasn't even the 6th lineman on the roster, as John Campbell got in when an injury occurred. If there was another injury...would he have even got burn on the interior? I don't know.

He was a good prospect and likely would have eventually played here, but once again, we need to stop overrating our players. How may transfers from Miami have balled out as high end P5 players? Sometimes, things are obvious, but you all overvalue our players and as a result think losing a player like Reed is important in the grand scheme of things.

Advertisement
Reed won’t be the first or last to leave. Clemson and Alabaga have guys leaving. It’s happening everywhere. I just can’t live like some of you guys do.

To each his own, but I can’t go through life taking a negative approach all the time. The U is in my blood and I love it too much to be so negative about it all the time. Fck Quitland Reed. Ive got no love or empathy for a punk who quits on his teammates midseason or a couple days before the season. It’s feeble and weak and I’ve got no place for guys like that. So fck him. This program will survive a 3rd team Guard with quitting in his blood.

I’ve said this before, but if you guys who follow the team as a hobby are so miserable with your hobby, then it might be time to find a new one. Life’s too short to be so miserable and negative about everything.

And forgive me if I don’t put any stock in the doomsday musings of some anonymous guy calling himself 99cane who seems like a jilted guy.

blood in, blood out

Its why I have an appreciation for guys like Knowles.

Everyone's situation is different. I am not here to bash the kid. However, this move appears to be weak as f'uck. N'Kosi and Martell both just got passed up in a high profile battle, by a freshman, and yet they both stayed. ****, Martell even switched positions, which in essence shows that he is not afraid to compete. Reed would have a much better chance of seeing the field as a backup O-Lineman than Nkosi will being the backup QB, yet Kosi is still here.

Work your *** off, compete, and be there for your brothers. Reed getting passed on the depth chart by a true freshman (Clarke) is a reason for him to worker harder and fight like **** to regain his place on the depth chart. That shows character. That shows a "dog mentality." That shows perseverance and resilience. Leaving just shows you probably should not have been here in the first place, because that is just some weak *** s'hit!
Hoping for Perry’s sake that he’s matured and is committed to learning the finer points of playing quarterback. I believe in this present environment (unlike with Jon Richt) our backup quarterbacks truly have an opportunity to develop despite a lack of playing time. If he has/is then he will will have another Power Five school seeking his services as a starter as a GT when the time comes.

Play the younger guy who is more talented over the more senior player, the more senior player may leave.
Play the more experienced, older player over the younger, more talented player, the younger player may leave.
Either way, you have a chance someone gets in their feelings and leaves. But at least with the former, the more talented player stays. Hopefully the coaches are right about that.

And, of course, fvck Quitland Bleeds.

Alabama has lost 3 5 star players to the transfer portal this year. Well, 2 and one who hasn't officially transferred but has been AWOL for a few weeks.

Clearly Miami has an attrition problem.

Advertisement
Dam days of developing players and having depth are dam near over.. no immediate pt and they bouncing.. hard to build a program like that.. communication is gonna have to be key and that might not help with outside noise..
The portal giveth and taketh away. What's fair is fair.

I hope Manny realizes that there is going to be a handful of transfers a year, no matter if we’re winning or not. It’s imperative you sign a full class every year with no off years to keep the numbers up. No more 22 man classes.

The unintended consequences.

Listen, I ain’t got no problems w kids transferring; but, The NCAA granting immediate eligibility has to simmer down. Even when we benefited from it, I didn’t feel it was right. These jits know chit about commitment or loyalty. If they wanna transfer, then there should be some sort of penalty that comes along w it to slow this chit down. Schools are investing a lot of time & resources in to these kids w the assumption that they will be apart of their program.

I feel based upon when you leave, w/o probable cause (e.g kicked off team, racial injustice) there should be a scholarship penalty (i.e leave after 1st year: 85% school, 15% you. 2nd yr: 90% school, 10% you. 3rd yr: 95% school, 5% you. 4th yr: Scholly maintained 100% funded ), and there should def not be immediate eligibility unless it’s w/ probable cause of you leaving.

This system is flawed and has made these kids more entitled than ever before w no consequence. Again, I’m not just suggesting this b/c of Reed, but Saban for all the bull chit he says does have a point regarding this whole transfer situation. Kids r just leaving just to leave now.

Absolutely

Advertisement
If he had not redshirted, ok, I get it. Don't take the chance of being wasted in games if you truly don't want to be here. But he's already redshirted! Kids getting bad advice. Guarantee he's not thinking about this stuff on his own. He should have left at the end of august, not end of sept.
Why not get every player to graduate in 3 years so they can transfer straight up after their redshirt soph year? If I were running a program, I'd try and emphasize programs were a bachelors in 3 years & high level football is possible.

Hoping for Perry’s sake that he’s matured and is committed to learning the finer points of playing quarterback. I believe in this present environment (unlike with Jon Richt) our backup quarterbacks truly have an opportunity to develop despite a lack of playing time. If he has/is then he will will have another Power Five school seeking his services as a starter as a GT when the time comes.
I'm not sure if you have been following the team closely since Diaz has become the HC, but Perry has done nothing but show that he has vastly matured since the days of his past transgressions; both Daiz and Enos, as well as Perry's teammates have all voiced the pleasures regarding Perry's maturity. Even in losing the QB battle, he has exemplified a high level of maturity. I don't think the "immaturity" stamp is no longer applicable for Nkosi.

yeah, if he redshirted last year then he can’t do that. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him at UCF with the sick family member excuse as he’s from an area near Lakeland.
Yeah you can always find a sick family member....or even your dog.

Advertisement
Maybe Tommy Kennedy will get to wear pads this week.
He hasn't even been dressing out?

Even I was skeptical Kennedy was ready to step in when I saw his video and I'm neither an X and O's guy or personnel expert. I could see enough to lead me to question his readiness to step in at our level.

UCLA lost like 15 players. Virginia Tech lost about that much as well
Doesn't trouble me. Anyone who cares to become informed should know we underachieved last year and this is part of the recovery process. Can anyone truly say we're weakened at RB or WR by these losses? We've got a lot of talent in both areas.

Were Martin, Ezzard and Cager due for a lot of playing time?

Last edited:
Pope and Jeff Thomas wanted out because they didn't want to play in the 115th ranked passing offense in the nation. Those coaches are all gone now. Smith left because he kept getting bumped in the depth chart. That's going to happen. Reed is leaving because???? As far as development and or evaluations, there isn't a single member of our offensive staff that's been here over 7 months. Maybe it's a bit early to jump off a cliff regarding their evals and/or development.

Guys leave. Especially when a new staff takes over and doesn't think as highly of them as the old coaches did. There isn't some conspiracy for players to have some kind of exodus. The only thing odd about Reed transferring is that he's doing it right now when it doesn't benefit him. Had he transferred after the season, nobody would have thought much about it.
This sounds more like an emotional decision rather than a rational one. Kids will be kids.

Advertisement
Back