Clemson Series

animated_broom.gif~c200

Advertisement
Great weekend sweep! Haven't felt this good about our baseball team in a lot of years. I think this team might have something special in the works.

I ask this as a fringe college baseball fan, is our pitching good enough to win in Omaha? It seems to me that we lack a power arm or two.

Those of us who attended the game, and stayed until the end received a commerative bat celebrating Morris's 1000th win.

Did it include instructions that if there is a runner on first or second with no outs said bat must be used only for bunting?

Trust me I feel you, quite annoying that every time someone got on base we would automatically bunt.

Advertisement
I will take a sweep against a ranked team but this team still has a couple serious issues. Most will think I'm just trying to be negative but I'm trying to see whole picture. We need someone that can hit behind Collins. Heyward belongs to be playing but should not be hitting 4th. Wish we had someone outside of Collins & Abreu who could hit with some power.

Our bullpen is somewhat thin and majority of our starters throw way too many pitches. A little worried what happens as the season goes on.

We had 2 walk off wins against a team with 3 guys hitting under 200.

I will take a sweep against a ranked team but this team still has a couple serious issues. Most will think I'm just trying to be negative but I'm trying to see whole picture. We need someone that can hit behind Collins. Heyward belongs to be playing but should not be hitting 4th. Wish we had someone outside of Collins & Abreu who could hit with some power.

Our bullpen is somewhat thin and majority of our starters throw way too many pitches. A little worried what happens as the season goes on.

Oh, another negative poster. We sweep a ranked ACC opponent and we have "serious issues".

Shocking.

Sorry we didn't win 50-0 in all 3 games dude

A fan can be happy about the wins and still criticize the team's weaknesses. Not mutually exclusive concepts.

Advertisement

Oh, another negative poster. We sweep a ranked ACC opponent and we have "serious issues".

Shocking.

Sorry we didn't win 50-0 in all 3 games dude

Another Pollyanna. Shocking.

Unfortunately, the Jim Morris Fan Club will continue to praise all things UM until we get pummeled by a real team in the post-season. At that point they will respond with "BUT WE WERE #7 IN THE RPI!!! IT WAS A GREAT YEAR!!"

"Until we get pummeled by a real team in the postseason"

Kinda like our basketball coach.

It's not much different if you only look at it from a current perspective. The difference is that baseball used to win championships and basketball was completely dropped at one point. Getting to the Sweet 16 in basketball is an accomplishment at UM. Getting to the Sweet 16 (Super Regional Round) in baseball used to be an expectation, but now it gets extensions and promises of future jobs.

Unfortunately, the Jim Morris Fan Club will continue to praise all things UM until we get pummeled by a real team in the post-season.

Unfortunately for you this Jim Morris coached team will probably keep winning.

But make no mistake. If we had lost to Clemson you wouldn't need to wait until the postseason. You'd be ripping them right now. Funny how that works. If they win it's no big deal. If they lose then you told us so.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, the Jim Morris Fan Club will continue to praise all things UM until we get pummeled by a real team in the post-season.

But make no mistake. If we had lost to Clemson you wouldn't need to wait until the postseason. You'd be ripping them right now. Funny how that works. If they win it's no big deal. If they lose then you told us so.

Yep. This is exactly what losers like TCgrad and Tampacane are doing. They just highlight the negatives, and it's no big deal that we won.

Sweeping a Clemson team that has the best hitter in college baseball is a big deal.

I swear, the expectations on here are ridiculous. People think we should win a national title in every sport, and anything less is a failure. Guess what, making the Sweet 16 is a huge success, making the CWS is a huge success. If you disagree, you really need to get some perspective on life.

Yep. This is exactly what losers like TCgrad and Tampacane are doing. They just highlight the negatives, and it's no big deal that we won.

Sweeping a Clemson team that has the best hitter in college baseball is a big deal.

I swear, the expectations on here are ridiculous. People think we should win a national title in every sport, and anything less is a failure. Guess what, making the Sweet 16 is a huge success, making the CWS is a huge success. If you disagree, you really need to get some perspective on life.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Yes Clemson does have the best player in college baseball but he killed us. We have to be a better overall team to make serious run. IMO we need a 4th hitter who can protect Collins and our pitchers have to learn to make less pitches.

I get some people only see the results and I'm not saying that's bad but I look a little deeper. Doing this off memory but the 3 best teams we've played have all been home series and IMO I'm a little worried about the depth of this team. If we had another power hitter behind Collins and a true dominate #1 then it would be easier to overlook some of the other faults.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Yes Clemson does have the best player in college baseball but he killed us. We have to be a better overall team to make serious run. IMO we need a 4th hitter who can protect Collins and our pitchers have to learn to make less pitches.

I get some people only see the results and I'm not saying that's bad but I look a little deeper. Doing this off memory but the 3 best teams we've played have all been home series and IMO I'm a little worried about the depth of this team. If we had another power hitter behind Collins and a true dominate #1 then it would be easier to overlook some of the other faults.

The team definitely has holes. Starting pitching has not been great and doesnt go deep into games. We need Cooper Hammond back big time. We play very good D, draw a lot of walks which makes up for the lack of power on the team.

I don't think Tampacane21 has said anything that isnt correct but Antwan/Jagr is a joke and should be on everyone's ignore list.

Advertisement

Oh, trust me, I'm telling you in advance what is going to happen in the post-season. There is no need for me to wait and see when Jim Morris is the head coach. The funny thing is that deep down inside you agree with me. You know with absolute certainty that this team will do nothing in May and June. But I get the need to be a March cheerleader and hope you have a strong RPI to fall back on when describing this season.

Me in June: "We fizzled out in the post-season again."

You in September, when you come out of hiding: "Quit being negative!! We had an RPI of 9 and swept Clemson!!"

Such a bad post.

No, it's not a "big deal" that we swept Clemson, just like it wasn't a "big deal" when we got swept by Fullerton in 2001. It's so sad how we used to be the ones who laughed at Florida for their regular season trophies. Now our fans do the same thing. Why? Because post-season success is a thing of the past around here. We either lose in a regional or get our doors blown off in Omaha and we have people celebrating March victories and regular season RPI finishes. It's tragic.

And quit being the imbecile who thinks that everyone demands a championship every year. Our athletic teams are a thousand miles from winning championships. What we would like is to at least be in the conversation every now and then.

The team definitely has holes. Starting pitching has not been great and doesnt go deep into games. We need Cooper Hammond back big time. We play very good D, draw a lot of walks which makes up for the lack of power on the team.

I don't think Tampacane21 has said anything that isnt correct but Antwan/Jagr is a joke and should be on everyone's ignore list.

The defense and patience at the plate have been pleasant surprises.

Advertisement
Back