Class of 2024 Defensive Back Ryan Mack Commits to Miami Hurricanes

View as article
I think passing on Moore was a bad eval but what real ****ed us wasn’t that but rather the inability to develop what we did get. Evals, recruiting and development are three factors that are so closely intertwined yet independent and separate of each other. Based on what I have seen wherever Mario goes he is an elite recruiter. I still think the jury is still out on where exactly he sits as a developer and evaluator.
I'd say the current coaching staff is more than capable of doing that compared to what we had prior.

Advertisement
Are these the whales?
Please don’t get your panties in a twist. Are we satisfied with this projected HS DB class?

Commits
Ryan Mack - ⭐⭐⭐️ .8858, 50th safety
**Cameron Pruitt - ⭐⭐⭐️ .8859, 49 Safety
Isaiah Thomas - ⭐⭐⭐️, .8825, 57th safety
Dylan Day - ⭐⭐⭐️, .8769, 66th safety

Projected
Zaquan Patterson - ⭐⭐⭐⭐️, 96.1231, 4th safety
Romanas Frederique - ⭐⭐⭐️, .86268, 82nd CB

2024 DB avg prospect rank: .892
2023 DB avg prospect rank: .933
2022 DB avg prospect rank: .917
2021 DB avg prospect rank: .917
2020 DB avg prospect rank: .900

** projected LBer

The projections are based off who we have been told we have a good shot with, especially from the most recent bank update. Our highest projected DB (pending Zaquan coming) is likely going to be a LBer here…

Is this a championship caliber room? This class on paper is worse than any class Manny had, and we ripped that thing to shreds in real time. Just being fair. One (possible) top 5 player and multiple kids in the 50-70 range of their position? Especially where we are likely going to have a first round Safety and possibly another top 3 round pick in the secondary? Thoughts?
PATTERSON IS A 5*. DONT do him like that.

For sure. Not to make too many blanket statements as some guys are a bit different than others, but follow the offers and the highlight tapes. A lot of these guys have been evaluated in person several times by the staff as well, just going by the info being reported

This isn’t just people trying to justify everything, though that happens as well

It’s different subjects imo. The staffs actions in evaluating the kids committed, multiple times and in person, justifies their takes. It doesn’t justify if they become all of the takes without high 4-5 stars added later. But again, none of the whales we’re after have announced so any concern there is premature. How are we supposed to expect a class full of kids that haven’t set to announce yet? This isn’t me justifying it in my head, it’s just logic.

Especially when last year was the same. There’s a clear MO here.

This isn’t Golden or Manny taking any whishy washy blue chip commit as a placeholder to get embarrassed by Saban et al later on.

Advertisement
Trust the staff or not, in the end, no coach has outperformed the recruiting service rankings to create a legit national title contending team.

If your class isn’t high ranking, you have no chance at a national title. That’s just the reality of it.
True, but TCU made the CFP and championship game. Yes they were THRASHED mightily, but they also weren’t a high ranking class.

Seems this is just how Mario recruits. Gets all of the lower ranked guys first. Then goes for the whales to close everything out.

Yea some guys will get bumped to 4* but not enough. It’s funny bc this cycle it seems we’re only going for overlooked diamonds in the rough or straight top 100 guys.

I think the next week will alleviate some worries when a couple bigger fish pull the trigger.

I think this conversation needs to be had in its own thread bc of all the 3* players committed Im probably the happiest so far with Ryan Mack.

You can tell he’s a coaches son. His technique in coverage seems pretty elite and paired w/ his speed, lineage, and who he can bring with him he’s a no brainer. His film is **** good. You can tell he’s got all the confidence.

Seems this is just how Mario recruits. Gets all of the lower ranked guys first. Then goes for the whales to close everything out.

Yea some guys will get bumped to 4* but not enough. It’s funny bc this cycle it seems we’re only going for overlooked diamonds in the rough or straight top 100 guys.

I think the next week will alleviate some worries when a couple bigger fish pull the trigger.

I think this conversation needs to be had in its own thread bc of all the 3* players committed Im probably the happiest so far with Ryan Mack.

You can tell he’s a coaches son. His technique in coverage seems pretty elite and paired w/ his speed, lineage, and who he can bring with him he’s a no brainer. His film is **** good. You can tell he’s got all the confidence.
I know Chance and JoJo are two that could/will come with him. Who are the others?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't have a problem with anyone who is hoping for a higher rated CB/DB position group. My problem is that this is a commitment announcement thread and should celebratory about Ryan Mack.

The kid is a known baller, a legacy, plays at a powerhouse high school and wants to be a CANE. He's exactly the type of player we want on this roster. On this thread, at this moment in time, IDGAF who else is committed or not. We have a CANE in the house.

Welcome home Ryan Mack. You will be great!!!!

:stormwarningflag-sm: :stormwarningflag-sm: :stormwarningflag-sm: :stormwarningflag-sm:

Advertisement
True, but TCU made the CFP and championship game. Yes they were THRASHED mightily, but they also weren’t a high ranking class.

Sure, but the only high ranking recruiting classes they played all year were Texas, OU, Michigan, and UGA. And even with that they basically played a one score game in every game during the regulation season.

Texas and OU were down, otherwise OU usually just put talents TCU, even during their good years under Patterson.

Michigan they needed a horrible TD overturn, two pick sixes, and Harbaugh to artificially limit the amount of snaps run in the game, just yo hold on to win.

And then UGA murdered them.

Look at the offer lists and not the stars, fellas. Not all 3-stars are created equal.

The guys who extend the offers are far more qualified to judge talent than the fat nerds who make the rankings.

The difference between Manny's 3-stars and Mario's 3-stars, is the offer lists. Manny was signing kids whose other offers were from schools like Akron.
[BGCOLOR=initial]You would look at their offer lists and see Miami sitting in the company of schools like Akron, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, etc.[/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]The difference between a low-end 3-star and a high-end 3-star is vast IMO. Some of these guys are on the fringe. Wheatley ain't no **** 3-star. [/BGCOLOR]
Mario is a great judge of talent. he doesnt take charity cases. Manny was a VERY lazy recruiter and gave offers to kids who didnt have big offers because he hated recruiting. he was crying to people how hard Franklin pushed him to zoom with kids.

We’re going to need a lot of blue chips, in fact mostly blue chips, the rest of the way. For 3-star guys, I agree there are a lot right now; I don’t think anyone in their right mind should be jumping for joy considering 10 of our 13 commits are 3 stars. That’s not what we hired Mario for.

Good thing is it’s still relatively early. As for the 3-star commits, I like looking at the offer list. For some of the guys, I didn’t list all their offers (but did list their best ones).

Daylen Russell - claims offers from Miami, FSU, Louisville, Nebraska, West Virginia, Central Michigan, UCF, FIU. Was underwhelmed when we took his commitment considering how deep this DL class is locally and nationally. I stand by it.

Judd Anderson - claims offers from Miami, Ole Miss, Pitt, Georgia Tech, UConn, Middle Tennessee St, Eastern Michigan, Memphis, Toledo, Western Michigan, Penn, Wofford. I think his film aligns with his offer list - G5 to low end P5 QB, we’re reaching in terms of a QB1 but it’s been beaten to nauseam on here.

Juan Minaya - claims offers from the likes of Miami, UF, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Michigan St, Penn St, Pitt, BC, Maryland, Duke, Syracuse, West Virginia, etc. OL is the hardest to judge but he has a solid base offer list and I like his frame.

Vincent Shavers - claims offers from Miami, UGA, UF, Tennessee, FSU, Ole Miss, Maryland, Michigan St, Louisville, Kentucky, Illinois, UCF, etc. Good offer list

Chris Wheatley-Humphrey - claims offers from Miami, Cinci, Ole Miss, Louisville, FSU, GT, Ole Miss, Maryland, Syracuse, UCF, Marshall, SMU, Tulane, FIU. Would be shocked if he didn’t get some bigger offers but he’s an RB2.

Dylan Day - claims offers from Miami, Ole Miss, West Virginia, Baylor, GT, Maryland, Miss St, Tulane, Arkansas St, Arizona St. Baylor offer is solid but the rest is pretty mid to be perfectly honest.

Isaiah Thomas - claims offers from Miami, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn St, Missouri, UF, FSU, Auburn, Boston College, Maryland, Pitt, NC State, Maryland, Minnesota, etc.
Solid offer list.

Ryan Mack - claims offers from Miami, Alabama, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Purdue, FSU, Colorado, Louisville, Marshall, GT, FAU, Akron, Temole, etc. Pretty solid offer list (pleasantly surprised) and I think teams are seeing the speed as a malleable tool.

Cameron Pruitt - claims offers from Miami, Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M, UF, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Penn St, Tennessee, LSU, Michigan St, Maryland, Missouri, Ole Miss, Purdue, etc. Elite offer list

Kicker I’m not going into too much depth. Miami and Arkansas only offers he claims.

Some of these guys will get more offers later, some will shoot up recruiting boards. Some won’t, and some (in my eyes) will be drop candidates should bigger fish want in.
Thanks for the detail.

Is Mack a Safety or Corner? 247 lists him as a Safety. And is Day and Mack much of the same with Mack having a higher ceiling? I don't quite get the Day commit.

Another is D. Russell. Is this guy really 6'1" 235lbs? He's one of the lower ranked recruits we have and just screams project all over the place. with this player.

I guess of all the 3 STARS, Day and Russell to me seem to be major reaches...

Advertisement
Back