Class Impact: Xavier Restrepo to Miami

Advertisement
I like this kid. Although he may not have all of that physical gifts that other WRs have, his work ethic is what will separate him from his competition and hopefully gain respect from his teammates.

It’s really weird how deep some of the idiotic stereotypes run. They see white skin and automatically think the guy plays Special Olympics football.

In this case the stereotypes actually have benefited us greatly. Clemson or Bama aren't going to drop bags for a white athlete from Deerfield Beach. So we got a super talented kid who is probably not going to suddenly get a 4th star after committing then have the bag dropping schools after him.

He also got offers from Brown, Harvard, and Cornell- kid has some smarts too. I think he must feel he has a legit chance of being a starter and making it to the NFL, because he's turning down a Golden Ticket for life in a free ride to Harvard (education really isn't much better than any place else, but the networking and status will open doors in the corporate world that are closed to everyone else)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like this kid. Although he may not have all of that physical gifts that other WRs have, his work ethic is what will separate him from his competition and hopefully gain respect from his teammates.
What athletic gifts is he lacking? Mans is more well-built than almost anyone at his position at this stage.

He also ran an absolutely elite shuttle time, and if just improves his 40 time of 4.58 by .1 by the time he declares for the draft, then it’s the same as Christian McCaffrey’s or Antonio Brown’s. His vertical is also the same as Ezekiel Elliot’s at the NFL COMBINE.

Stop looking at his skin color and look at the numbers and it’ll be quite obvious he’s got the “athletic gifts.”

Thanks. I never understood how the **** the kids down there were transferring constantly. It's just not a thing whatsoever up here other than as you said public to private, but even that is very rare.
There is no longer anything to understand, 'parental choice' transfer is high school version of free agency - go where you want, when you want
as long as you have not practiced.

Advertisement
What athletic gifts is he lacking? Mans is more well-built than almost anyone at his position at this stage.

He also ran an absolutely elite shuttle time, and if just improves his 40 time of 4.58 by .1 by the time he declares for the draft, then it’s the same as Christian McCaffrey’s or Antonio Brown’s. His vertical is also the same as Ezekiel Elliot’s at the NFL COMBINE.

Stop looking at his skin color and look at the numbers and it’ll be quite obvious he’s got the “athletic gifts.”

Good points, although he's pretty small (if you can call that an athletic trait). About same size as Berrios -- if he ends up being that good, Id be delighted.

Good points, although he's pretty small (if you can call that an athletic trait). About same size as Berrios -- if he ends up being that good, Id be delighted.
He’s slightly short, there’s no denying that. Macho obviously knows better but I understand him to be around 5’10”.

That’s not the end of the world though as we’ve seen Jaquan, Braxton, Trajan and others succeed and make that irrelevant. His lack of ideal height is the only knock on him.

Catches everything with his hands. Is always open. Excellent change of direction.

Kid made a sick one handed grab, too. What more do the doubters want to see?

This gets overlooked at times, but this is a vital skill for a WR, and it's not always that easily learned. Once a kid has a habit of catching the ball with his body, it can be hard to change that habit.

Yes, I know he's not for sure a WR.

Advertisement
If that new shuttle time real of a 3.84 verifiable? Restrepo's burst is ridiculous, so it wouldn't surprise me. But this puts him in a whole new level. Berrios' 3.81 was best in the nation for his class year according to Lance.

The transfer to STA is commonplace in any state. It's going from a public to private school. The transfer to Deerfield while living in the Monarch district is another story. In Florida, you can get a transfer voucher from one public school to another if your local school scores poorly on FCAT standardized tests. You can transfer to any higher scoring public school that isn't at or near capacity as long as you supply your own transportation. They call it "school choice" and it's supposed to give parents who can't afford a private school an opportunity to send their kid to a better performing public school. It's a huge mixed bag and I won't get into the details here as there's positives and negatives. You can also just lie and say you moved if school choice isn't an option. It doesn't really take much to fake a residence in a different school's district if you want to transfer there. All you need is to know somebody with an address in that area. The school system is probably too lax on that type of thing because it happens all the time.

I don’t think they need to go through that anymore. I don’t believe students are restricted by districts any more.

Advertisement
I don’t think they need to go through that anymore. I don’t believe students are restricted by districts any more.
If your address is in a certain school's area, you're required to go to that school. Unless that school is a failing school, in which you have the option of transferring to a "choice school" provided you provide your own transportation to and from school. That's the only legal way to transfer from one public school to another without a special provision. It's not uncommon for athletes to use fake addresses to transfer though. A few years ago, when Flanagan was competing for state titles under Devin Bush, half the football team had an address in one apartment complex in Pembroke Pines. Everyone knew **** well none of those kids lived in Pines. The school board, at least in Broward county is very lax on making sure these kids actually live at the addresses provided. Every football team that's a playoff contender has kids from out of area on their squad. It's not just the private schools and it's not just the powerhouse public schools anymore either. Schools like Western and Plantation who are decent but not great recruit kids from out of area.

Yeah he is athletic but he's not an elite athlete. What puts him on the same level as elite athletes is his fundamentals and field IQ. But no one can say he is an elite athlete doesn't matter if he was black or green.

This is an elite athlete

If your address is in a certain school's area, you're required to go to that school. Unless that school is a failing school, in which you have the option of transferring to a "choice school" provided you provide your own transportation to and from school. That's the only legal way to transfer from one public school to another without a special provision. It's not uncommon for athletes to use fake addresses to transfer though. A few years ago, when Flanagan was competing for state titles under Devin Bush, half the football team had an address in one apartment complex in Pembroke Pines. Everyone knew **** well none of those kids lived in Pines. The school board, at least in Broward county is very lax on making sure these kids actually live at the addresses provided. Every football team that's a playoff contender has kids from out of area on their squad. It's not just the private schools and it's not just the powerhouse public schools anymore either. Schools like Western and Plantation who are decent but not great recruit kids from out of area.

I know what all that means but I’m saying that hasn’t been the case no for about 2 years now. Rick Scott signed a bill that includes practically erasing the school zones. The state is an open enrollment state. HB7029 unless something happened between 2016 and now. Kids no longer have to lie about their addresses.

Off topic but Plantation has always been a good school since the 90’s with a few exceptions during Steve Davis first few years at Plantation.

If that new shuttle time real of a 3.84 verifiable? Restrepo's burst is ridiculous, so it wouldn't surprise me. But this puts him in a whole new level. Berrios' 3.81 was best in the nation for his class year according to Lance.

What new shuttle time?

Advertisement
Back