Class Impact: Justin Hodges to Miami

What happened to those fast DBs in South Florida? because they're all running 4.8s
I see your point and it's a good one. As fans I think it's easy to get sucked into the insane hype concerning measurables not the least of which is speed. We start throwing around times like 4.3 and 4.4 sec 40's and forget just how rare it is to legitimately have that type of speed especially in HS.

This is most likely one of those times for me. I see a 4.9 and automatically think that the kid must be slow without stopping to think that these times can and are greatly improved upon with proper training. Does this mean that I think that Hodges can be a speed merchant in college and improve to a 4.4? No but it means that in many instances these high school 40 times are not nearly as representative of the athlete in question and his potential and ultimate ceiling.

Advertisement
I see your point and it's a good one. As fans I think it's easy to get sucked into the insane hype concerning measurables not the least of which is speed. We start throwing around times like 4.3 and 4.4 sec 40's and forget just how rare it is to legitimately have that type of speed especially in HS.

This is most likely one of those times for me. I see a 4.9 and automatically think that the kid must be slow without stopping to think that these times can and are greatly improved upon with proper training. Does this mean that I think that Hodges can be a speed merchant in college and improve to a 4.4? No but it means that in many instances these high school 40 times are not nearly as representative of the athlete in question and his potential and ultimate ceiling.
This is spot on. If he’s got that length, his playing weight becomes 190+, and he’s running low 4.6s, I’d expect him to at worst be a very solid #4 corner.

I don’t get “overly concerned” with 40 times, but I do pay very close attention to times that are exceptionally bad for a skill position. A 4.9 at CB is almost, on its face, a disqualifier. Some positions absolutely require a certain baseline level of speed to have success, and I think CB is one of those.

I don’t get “overly concerned” with 40 times, but I do pay very close attention to times that are exceptionally bad for a skill position. A 4.9 at CB is almost, on its face, a disqualifier. Some positions absolutely require a certain baseline level of speed to have success, and I think CB is one of those.
This is what scares me... Maybe he had a bad day.. 4.9 is horrible absolutely no way to spin this

There aren't enough people that are putting time into these metrics at the high school level to start understanding who the outliers are and what disqualifying times, metrics are...from college to pro, there is a strong foundation, but maybe its because there is a lack of trustworthy times...but from HS to college, I am sure there are very good indicators of success that just haven't been mined yet.

Would wager a 4.9 time for a CB would ultimately be a disqualifying time, but I wish I had some data to support that.

Advertisement
This is what scares me... Maybe he had a bad day.. 4.9 is horrible absolutely no way to spin this
The only way you take his commitment is if he ran it in front of you and it was faster.
4.9 skill position at the u? I like the kids film and he covers well but 4.9 even in high school down here will get you smoked. Too much speed down here for you not to get mossed on the reg if your covering dudes in sofla.
especially on the 7v7 circuit.

Those times are rare in college and not exactly common in the NFL. That said, I'm not convinced on Hodges. If he ran a 4.9 once on a slow turf, it wouldn't be a big deal, but his reported times in track season are just as disappointing. His shuttle isn't that great and his vertical leap isn't that great. I hope I'm wrong and the kid is great.

What about his best official 11.99--100 meter time in running track this year? Bad day there? Appears Rump is enamored with this guys personality rather than having the ability/tools to play at a high level against top collegiate talent.

Advertisement
Facts

Yup. It would be one thing if the kid had other track times that would indicate the 4.9 was an aberration. Some times, tracks/turf can be slow causing everyone to have a bad time. But the thing is ,this kid has run track and his times are every bit as ugly as the 4.9.

I really hope I'm wrong and the kid ends up being a stud.

There aren't enough people that are putting time into these metrics at the high school level to start understanding who the outliers are and what disqualifying times, metrics are...from college to pro, there is a strong foundation, but maybe its because there is a lack of trustworthy times...but from HS to college, I am sure there are very good indicators of success that just haven't been mined yet.

Would wager a 4.9 time for a CB would ultimately be a disqualifying time, but I wish I had some data to support that.
I think the times are getting more reliable with the laser timing at the big combine events. That’s why we’re seeing more slow times for skill guys instead of everyone just claiming they’re a 4.21 forty guy.

4.9 for a 160 pound kid should, at the very least, be a major concern to any program looking to compete for championships. It could be fine for Duke or Vanderbilt. But it should be a monster concern for UM.

What about his best official 11.99--100 meter time in running track this year? Bad day there? Appears Rump is enamored with this guys personality rather than having the ability/tools to play at a high level against top collegiate talent.
Unfortunately, some coaches recruit kids who remind them of themselves. Rump was a tall, cerebral CB who couldn’t run. Shannon made a habit of it especially at LB.

Advertisement
I think the times are getting more reliable with the laser timing at the big combine events. That’s why we’re seeing more slow times for skill guys instead of everyone just claiming they’re a 4.21 forty guy.

4.9 for a 160 pound kid should, at the very least, be a major concern to any program looking to compete for championships. It could be fine for Duke or Vanderbilt. But it should be a monster concern for UM.

Does such a human even exist?

Unfortunately, some coaches recruit kids who remind them of themselves. Rump was a tall, cerebral CB who couldn’t run. Shannon made a habit of it especially at LB.

I gotta think Rumph was faster than this kid.

Advertisement
The time is bad. It's disqualifying. It's also why people shouldn't hold that time as what he really runs. Critical thinking will tell you that's not his real time.

Rumph has seen him live several times and wouldnt take his commitment until he saw him practice.

I'd say he knows more about what type of athlete he is than posters whose knowledge of him is hudl clips and reported track/40 times.

You probably hated Redwine too. He ran a reported 4.79. Then down to a 4.44 at the combine. So there's zero reason Hodges cant take that 4.89 down to the 4.5s with actual S&C.

Advertisement
Back