Class Impact: Justin Hodges to Miami

View as article
I don’t get “overly concerned” with 40 times, but I do pay very close attention to times that are exceptionally bad for a skill position. A 4.9 at CB is almost, on its face, a disqualifier. Some positions absolutely require a certain baseline level of speed to have success, and I think CB is one of those.
I agree with you on this. A 4.9 for a CB is atrocious and consequently I am skeptical of the offer. Having said that I realize that Diaz and Baker are much more informed regarding Hodges, his ability/potential and ultimately whether or not he is deserving of an offer/scholarship.

Earlier in this thread, I had posted about how bizarre it seemed to accept the commitment of a CB who ran a 4.9 40 when generally speaking, South Florida is well known for it's speed and athleticism especially at the skill positions. The post you quoted was me trying to reconcile my skepticism with the fact that Diaz accepted his commitment. I was basically trying to say that although Hodges seems to be too slow judging by that 4.9 40, it is entirely possible that the staff believes that the 40 time we have mentioned here is not representative of what the kid is capable of developing into.

There is also the possibility that they are waiting to see how his senior year unfolds then decide whether or not to keep him. The bottom line here to me is that Hodges needs to show much better speed and the ability to run a 40 that is at least respectable. Maybe he already has done this in front of the staff. Who knows? They accepted his commitment so there must be logical reason. At least I would hope there would be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rumph has seen him live several times and wouldnt take his commitment until he saw him practice.

I'd say he knows more about what type of athlete he is than posters whose knowledge of him is hudl clips and reported track/40 times.

You probably hated Redwine too. He ran a reported 4.79. Then down to a 4.44 at the combine. So there's zero reason Hodges cant take that 4.89 down to the 4.5s with actual S&C.
There are all these number slung out about how someone reportedly ran a time some years ago and it was like Hodges, etc.

Here is the fact on Redwine form the Summer Testing by Swasey in 2015 as he just entered from HS:

"Freshman Sheldrick Redwine tested at 365 in the squat, 257 in the power clean, 295 in the bench and had a 35.5-inch vertical. He weighed 196 pounds and his 40 time was 4.64 seconds." {Redwine was far faster in the 40 and about 40 pounds heavier.}

"Sheldrick Redwine, Michael Jackson are very impressive coming in - size and power, acceleration," Swasey said. "We lose (Ladarius Gunter) and Antonio Crawford, and look at what we've gained. So I feel real good."

In addition, Redwine was far faster in the 100 meter dash he ran in the one high school track meet:
Sheldrick Redwine--100 meters---11.30 --- February.. 28 ..Furgerson Invitational. {This is far faster than the 11.99--100m Hodges ran.}

Last edited:
Can he play? I don't care if he ran in the 4.3s. If he can't play all the speed won't matter.

I do understand the debate about if he's fast enough to play CB but if the kid can play he has a chance to succeed here.

Can he play? I don't care if he ran in the 4.3s. If he can't play all the speed won't matter.

I do understand the debate about if he's fast enough to play CB but if the kid can play he has a chance to succeed here.

"...he has a chance to succeed here." Even you are not really convinced.
Reverse your question and ask this:
If you do not possess adequate speed for your position all the technique, desire and ability to play matters little in the top collegiate level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Someone on here said that he was told by his coach that he gain 20lbs and was running a 4.5, obviously that mf lied to u 😂😂😂. Dude has gain tremendous 5lbs, and I can believe a 4.6.

Someone on here said that he was told by his coach that he gain 20lbs and was running a 4.5, obviously that mf lied to u 😂😂😂. Dude has gain tremendous 5lbs, and I can believe a 4.6.
There is so much BS out there and on this kid. I believe the 4.6 if it is hand timed would be about a 4.8 or a little more laser..

"The results showed the hand-timed 40-yard dashes were significantly faster compared to electronic-timed (4.90 ± 0.34 s vs. 5.12 ± 0.35 s, respectively). A difference of 0.22 seconds! The novice coaches produced the fastest sprint times (4.86 ± 0.33 s)."
https://www.naseinc.com/blog/hand-timed-vs-electronic-timed-40-yard-dash/
----------------
According to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the Combine has gone with since 1990, and before.
----------------
Why 0.24 Seconds is Added to Hand Times

Last edited:
"...he has a chance to succeed here." Even you are not really convinced.
Reverse your question and ask this:
If you do not possess adequate speed for your position all the technique, desire and ability to play matters little in the top collegiate level.
Everyone clamored over the kid that picked OSU because he was a super athlete and had top end speed and I asked the same question. I'm not sure why you chose to look at my question as me not being convinced when the truth is that I've been convinced before and the player(s) still turned out to be a bum. I just want to know if the kid can play.

I watched the hudl and it was cool but it didn't wow me. Same as the kid that picked OSU(I can't think of his name) his hudl didn't wow me. So I ask again can Hodges play.

Advertisement
Everyone clamored over the kid that picked OSU because he was a super athlete and had top end speed and I asked the same question. I'm not sure why you chose to look at my question as me not being convinced when the truth is that I've been convinced before and the player(s) still turned out to be a bum. I just want to know if the kid can play.

I watched the hudl and it was cool but it didn't wow me. Same as the kid that picked OSU(I can't think of his name) his hudl didn't wow me. So I ask again can Hodges play.
People are going to read what you write as there in no other way to determine what you meant.

With proper S&C he should get down to a 4.6 maybe 4.5.
Would be nice but I read the research articles and articles by NFL Scouts, trainers, and other collegiate coaches posted here in the article and it definitely appears that if he can get to even the mid to upper 4.6s that is about the max for improvement giving his age and starting point.

Advertisement
6:07Justin Hodges Full Season Highlights 🦇 - Justin Hodges highlights

Don't enjoy bashing recruits and I'm not here to argue whether or not he'll be a decent college CB. But, see 3:23 mark in his hudl. Speed and hips are no doubt a concern here. Good ball skills and pretty good tackler from the small sample size, but not a recruit who's going to help us against the Clemson's of the world.

he also let's the WR run 10 yards in man coverage w/o putting his hands on him, which is something he'll never do at UM. rumph is clearly recruiting to a length/athleticism type that he has had success with before. idk why this is so hard for people to understand.

Last edited:
I agree with you on this. A 4.9 for a CB is atrocious and consequently I am skeptical of the offer. Having said that I realize that Diaz and Baker are much more informed regarding Hodges, his ability/potential and ultimately whether or not he is deserving of an offer/scholarship.

Earlier in this thread, I had posted about how bizarre it seemed to accept the commitment of a CB who ran a 4.9 40 when generally speaking, South Florida is well known for it's speed and athleticism especially at the skill positions. The post you quoted was me trying to reconcile my skepticism with the fact that Diaz accepted his commitment. I was basically trying to say that although Hodges seems to be too slow judging by that 4.9 40, it is entirely possible that the staff believes that the 40 time we have mentioned here is not representative of what the kid is capable of developing into.

There is also the possibility that they are waiting to see how his senior year unfolds then decide whether or not to keep him. The bottom line here to me is that Hodges needs to show much better speed and the ability to run a 40 that is at least respectable. Maybe he already has done this in front of the staff. Who knows? They accepted his commitment so there must be logical reason. At least I would hope there would be.

these posts are cracking me up. maybe consider the fact that no school in the country recruits solely off a single 40 yard dash time posted on 247.

Advertisement
he also let's the WR run 10 yards in man coverage w/o putting his hands on him, which is something he'll never do at UM. rumph is clearly recruiting to a length/athleticism type that he has had success with before. idk why this is so hard for people to understand.

Ok, but not the point. I don’t agree with taking a 4.8 kid from Louisiana this early in the process. Keep proving me wrong manny

Advertisement
Back