Class Impact: Justin Hodges to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
The speed thing is still a big question, especially when it come to division 1 ball and the many speedy WRs there. The Combine shows is 40 speed at almost 4.9 (4.89). Many went after Joshua Sanguinetti when he recorded a 4.86 at his combine.

It was posted on another site his coach said he has been running track this year. That is good to hear as he is not a rank beginner when running the sprints.

The draw back there is that in track this year at Western High his best 100 meters in almost 12 seconds (11.99)
https://fl.milesplit.com/athletes/pro/8645432/stats

He is not a freshman or even a sophomore, I assume him to be about appropriate grade level age) where one can expect those times to fall with maturity as they almost always do in that age developmental stage.

Given the official times in the 40m and 100m it definitely appears he does not have long or intermediate speed.

He cannot be left on an island or near island with most any division one WR. Special packages will have to be developed for him in cover schemes, etc. Technique and use of hands, arm length, etc. is great to have in ones ****nal but a basic amount of pure raw speed for the position is necessary as one is not always going to be in perfect position, utilize perfect technique, perfect hand use, etc.

Developing speed is much harder than strength. If it were as easy as some suggest then teams would get guys with heart, determination, toughness and make them all 4.5-40 or 11.0 100 meter sprinters.

My intentions are not to be negative, but question certain abilities based on actual facts, not personal emotions or what one reads into game films, etc.

Last edited:
The speed thing is still a big question, especially when it come to division 1 ball and the many speedy WRs there. The Combine shows is 40 speed at almost 4.9 (4.89). We went after Joshua Sanguinetti when he recorded a 4.86 at his combine.

It was posted on another site his coach said he has been running track this year. That is good to hear as he is not a rank beginner when running the sprints.

The draw back there is that in track this year at Western High his best 100 meters in almost 12 seconds (11.99)

He is not a freshman or even a sophomore )I assume him to be about appropriate grade level age) where one can expect those times to fall with maturity as they almost always do in that age developmental stage.

Given the official times in the 40m and 100m it definitely appears he does not have long or intermediate speed.

He cannot be left on an island or near island with most any division one WR. Special packages will have to be developed for him in cover schemes, etc. Technique and use of hands, arm length, etc. is great to have in ones ****nal but a basic amount of pure raw speed for the position is necessary as one is not always going to be in perfect position, utilize perfect technique, perfect hand use, etc.

Developing speed is much harder than strength. If it were as easy as some suggest then teams would get guys with heart, determination, toughness and make them all 4.5-40 or 11.0 100 meter sprinters.

My intentions are not to be negative but certain the actual facts, not personal emotions or what one reads into game film are there.
Well stated and with real concerns based on real facts.

Advertisement
I’m gonna be honest. I’ve watched every piece of video/film/highlights/tape I can find on this kid. I don’t like the take. Not this early anyways.

What don’t you “like” about his clips? You’re starting to remind me of Peter Arroz. He had a terrible eye for talent, and in my opinion so do you.

Please do NOT get into coaching. I fear for the kids that you would be “coaching.”

This kid has excellent potential and already shows more ball skills and route recognition instincts than some of the CB’s currently on our roster. He also has excellent hips and short area quickness. In our S&C program, he will get much stronger and faster. Kid is gonna be a player for us in a couple of years.

The speed thing is still a big question, especially when it come to division 1 ball and the many speedy WRs there. The Combine shows is 40 speed at almost 4.9 (4.89). Many went after Joshua Sanguinetti when he recorded a 4.86 at his combine.

He is not a freshman or even a sophomore, I assume him to be about appropriate grade level age) where one can expect those times to fall with maturity as they almost always do in that age developmental stage.

He cannot be left on an island or near island with most any division one WR. Special packages will have to be developed for him in cover schemes, etc. Technique and use of hands, arm length, etc. is great to have in ones ****nal but a basic amount of pure raw speed for the position is as one is not always going to be in perfect position, utilize perfect technique, perfect hand use, etc.

My intentions are not to be negative, but question certain abilities based on actual facts, not personal emotions or what one reads into game films, etc.
but thats with him never running track or ever really lifting weights. Though he has been running track he also has been doing 7v7 therefore u don't know when that 11.99 was ran, what if it was ran at the beginning of track season.

I don't know about you, but I cannot find when he specifically ran those times.

Last edited:
but thats with him never running track or ever really lifting weights. Though he has been running track he also has been doing 7v7 therefore u don't know when that 11.99 was ran, what if it was ran at the beginning of track season.

I don't know about you, but I cannot find when he specifically ran those times.

How much could he have really improved from a 12 second 100m? Or almost a 4.9-40? He is not a 9th or 10th grade. The links are posted above just click on them top see the times. Also, go to Florida Runners find Western High and click on the school the track team is in alphabetical order then click on his name and the times appear.
Here is the link--https://fl.milesplit.com/teams/899-western-hs#.XNOHxxRKiM-

Here is a corner commit for 2020 to the U from Louisiana Daran Branch. He is extremely physical and can run. At the New Orleans Opening back in March he posted a laser 4.62 40 yards and he has not run track or lifted much at all in HS as he is 6-2/6-2 and 168 pounds
https://247sports.com/player/daran-branch-46054701/
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7557984/Daran-Branch

I was disappointed when I saw that 100m time. I was hoping for something in the 11.5 range as that can be reduced with a strict training regimen to
the lower 11s. Almost 12 seconds at anytime in the track season is not good at all. A friend as his son running track and has a best of 11.81 at 100m. Thing is his son is 6-3 and about 215-220 pounds as a junior and plays DE.

Advertisement
How much could he have really improved from a 12 second 100m? Or almost a 4.9-40? He is not a 9th or 10th grade. The links are posted above just click on them top see the times. Also, go to Florida Runners find Western High and click on the school the track team is in alphabetical order then click on his name and the times appear.
Here is the link--https://fl.milesplit.com/teams/899-western-hs#.XNOHxxRKiM-

Here is a corner commit for 2020 to the U from Louisiana Daran Branch. He is extremely physical and can run. At the New Orleans Opening back in March he posted a laser 4.62 40 yards and he has not run track or lifted much at all in HS as he is 6-2/6-2 and 168 pounds
https://247sports.com/player/daran-branch-46054701/
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7557984/Daran-Branch

I was disappointed when I saw that 100m time. I was hoping for something in the 11.5 range as that can be reduced with a strict training regimen to
the lower 11s. Almost 12 seconds at anytime in the track season is not good at all. A friend as his son running track and has a best of 11.81 at 100m. Thing is his son is 6-3 and about 215-220 pounds as a junior and plays DE.
That's majority of kids, not every kid develops the same. That being said not only has he never really consistently lift weights, he has never ran track before, if u don't think that plays a big part then I don't know what to say. The beginning of track season always start out as slow then the end of season times are usually .3-.4 times slower. That's why I asked when did he run that, bc it could have literally been his first meet ever and the dudes been on the 7v7 camp circuit throught his entire spring therefore there was probably no time for him to really participate in track.

Hate to say it but you bring up very good points. At best I see him getting to a 4.5 but he won’t be a blazer.

Advertisement
That's majority of kids, not every kid develops the same. That being said not only has he never really consistently lift weights, he has never ran track before, if u don't think that plays a big part then I don't know what to say. The beginning of track season always start out as slow then the end of season times are usually .3-.4 times slower. That's why I asked when did he run that, bc it could have literally been his first meet ever and the dudes been on the 7v7 camp circuit throught his entire spring therefore there was probably no time for him to really participate in track.
Self convincing never really convincing.

He is an example of about maximum speed development from a recent form er player.
Summer UM testing numbers 2015---
"Freshman Sheldrick Redwine tested at 365 in the squat, 257 in the power clean, 295 in the bench and had a 35.5-inch vertical. He weighed 196 pounds and his 40 time was 4.64 seconds."
Redwine gut busted it S&C over 4 years and at the NFL Combine posted a 4.44 which 2-tenths of a second which is about or near the maximum one can realistically expect.

Take 2-tenths off this young fellows time and you have around a 4.69, possibly to a 4.65, a really nice improvement but for a corner in major college football? If he can run those times at say eventually 190 pounds then safety may provide him with a better opportunity to play. I am hoping he can develop into a serviceable backup and a solid special teams performer. The team needs excellent special teams performers. Recall when Travis Homer was playing RB and was also on special teams as others who were designated for special teams did not put out like him.
This kid wants to be here, is a hard worker and will give it his all. I wish him the best.

This Louisiana corner Branch who has committed for 2020 at about six-feet one and 170 pounds ran at the New Orleans Opening a laser 4.62 40 and has never ran high school track. He has the potential to be in the mid 4.4s at worst lower 4.5s.

I have been a professional member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) since 1982. It became an official organization in 1978. I earned my masters degree in exercise physiology and other certificates in S&C, nutrition, and speed development. I still have many of the old NSCA publications with people like Billy Sims, Ron Simmons, etc featured. It is interesting to look back at that time and evolution of training regimens where machines were in vogue then as compared today of much more free weight exercises/movements.

Again these are my personal opinions and I try to base them of actual factual research and what I have seen as a trainer, observer and through interaction with other NSCA coaches. It he could get to sub 4.6 I will be one to congratulate him!

Last edited:
Can you expound on what it is that you don't like?
100% his speed. There’s some kids that run slow and you go back to watch their tape and they seem faster than what they run. I didn’t see that here. He moves slow and struggles to recover when beat because of it. Highlights are great but I didn’t see one great fast reciever that he went up against and dominated in those highlights. In college he will see those all the time.

Advertisement
There is a cb at Saint Thomas and at Norland that are 1000x the player as this kid. Could have got him to commit the day before signing if they wanted
So if a kid names Miami his leader and actually wants to be cane we should say no because we can get him on signing day?

100% his speed. There’s some kids that run slow and you go back to watch their tape and they seem faster than what they run. I didn’t see that here. He moves slow and struggles to recover when beat because of it. Highlights are great but I didn’t see one great fast reciever that he went up against and dominated in those highlights. In college he will see those all the time.
Remember the game films of Joshua Sanguinetti he looked like a 4.5-4.6 at the slowest? He ran picks back for long TDs, punts back for TDs, long receptions as a WR, etc. (see Hudl film below and compare to Hodges). Sanguinetti played much faster. Then his combine testing numbers revealed he ran a 4.86 in the 40 as a junior and most went sour on him. He never ran track in HS just like Hodges, but was slightly faster. I am wondering if the Blades connection played any role here in his offer?

Sanguinetti game film

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back