CIS D-Day - February 17, 2023 - “Meat” at the Titanic!

You don't have to explain this to me, I worked for ISC/NASCAR for years. I was there for many a SpeedWeeks timeframe.

Bottom line, he could have been at Titanic, had the fight, and then driven back to Daytona to catch the second half of the Truck race.

Sorry, @gordonsolie is a puzzy.
He posted that thread on the WEZ at 3:00 PM Friday. He knew he had no intention of going.

An adult would've apologized for saying something out of line about his GF.

Advertisement
You ungrateful son of a *****!

I’d kill for a Publix. The Northeast grocery chains like Stop &Shop, Big Y, Shop Rite, etc all suck ***. I love when I come to FL and get to go to a Publix. Haha.

But I get it. When you have it every day it loses its luster. I’ve never been in a Wegmans so can’t compare it to that. Stew Leonards and Whole Foods are pretty good up here.
Haha. I'm not an ingrate, I just know better! Florida obviously suffers from real supermarket competition so that's why the best Publix in Lauderdale today is about on par with a good supermarket in Pennsylvania....when Butch Davis was our head coach.

I feel ya though in relation to some areas of the northeast- ESPECIALLY those places where godforsaken bodegas and chain pharmacies serve as the main "grocers". It's seriously one of my main aversions about NYC living.

I've actually been to Stew Leonard's in Connecticut. Not bad at all.

Haha. I'm not an ingrate, I just know better! Florida obviously suffers from real supermarket competition so that's why the best Publix in Lauderdale today is about on par with a good supermarket in Pennsylvania....when Butch Davis was our head coach.

I feel ya though in relation to some areas of the northeast- ESPECIALLY those places where godforsaken bodegas and chain pharmacies serve as the main "grocers". It's seriously one of my main aversions about NYC living.

There is a Stew Leonards in Yonkers and a Wegmans in Harrison (White Plains).

I do the bulk of my food shopping at Shop Rite (Stamford). This specific location is YUGE and has everything I need.

Advertisement

What in holy wholes are you talking about, compadre?

NYC has Whole Foods (18 in NYC alone including 14 in Manhattan), a Wegmans in BK (and a Manhattan one coming this year), Fairway, Trader Joe's, Costco when you need it, more large groceries, and more specialty shops where you can get the best of what the world offers in every decent neighborhood. Just walk Bleecker Street alone west of 6th and pop into Faicco’s Italian Specialties, Magnolia Bakery, Murray’s Cheese Shop, and Ottomanelli's Butcher Shop.

Not to mention gourmet shops like Dean & Deluca, Cittarella, the Greenmarkets (especially Union Square), Gourmet Garage, Grand Central Market...

I could go on.

Last edited:

NYC has Whole Foods (18 in NYC alone including 14 in Manhattan), a Wegmans in BK (and a Manhattan once coming this year), Fairway, Trader Joe's, and more specialty shops where you can get the best of what the world offers in every decent neighborhood. Just walk Bleecker Street alone west of 6th and pop into Faicco’s Italian Specialties, Magnolia Bakery, Murray’s Cheese Shop, and Ottomanelli's Butcher Shop.

Not to mention places like gourmet shops like Dean & Deluca, Cittarella, the Greenmarkets (especially Union Square), Gourmet Garage, Grand Central Market...

I could go on.
This thread is delivering in ways we never could have imagined from the first porst.

NYC has Whole Foods (18 in NYC alone including 14 in Manhattan), a Wegmans in BK (and a Manhattan one coming this year), Fairway, Trader Joe's, Costco when you need it, more large groceries, and more specialty shops where you can get the best of what the world offers in every decent neighborhood. Just walk Bleecker Street alone west of 6th and pop into Faicco’s Italian Specialties, Magnolia Bakery, Murray’s Cheese Shop, and Ottomanelli's Butcher Shop.

Not to mention gourmet shops like Dean & Deluca, Cittarella, the Greenmarkets (especially Union Square), Gourmet Garage, Grand Central Market...

I could go on.
If you were planning on going to Alleva Dairy, you might want to do so before Mar. 1st. They're closing after 100+ years.

Advertisement
If you were planning on going to Alleva Dairy, you might want to do so before Mar. 1st. They're closing after 100+ years.

Ugh, that's awful. 130+ years. Little Italy is disappearing inch by inch. We're not in NYC often this time of year so won't make it back. A lot of the old guard are disappearing. I recently saw that Cowgirl Creamery is closing their Point Reyes, CA shop after 25 years too. Not the same, but always a stop when we are up there.

Thankfully, this old girl is going nowhere:

Edit re: Alleva, UGH:

I could go on.
I don't deny any of that but what you're describing is also what is supposed to service 8 million people. If there were adequate full-size supermarket options in NYC then the bazillion bodegas and Duane Reades wouldn't exist.

And nothing says NYC-livin' like paying $14 for a box of Raisin Bran that expired in 2006 at the corner bodega but pretending like the egg & cheese sandwich they make somehow makes up for it because you're living in center of the universe, baby! Throw me on some Francesa and the Doggy and let's scream a little about the Mets!

Ugh, that's awful. Little Italy is disappearing inch by inch. We're not in NYC often this time of year so won't make it back. A lot of the old guard are disappearing. I recently saw that Cowgirl Creamery is closing their Point Reyes, CA shop after 25 years too. Not the same, but always a stop when we are up there.

Times change, demographics change. It's the nature of diaspora. My last visit to Little Italy, almost the entire wait staff had Russian/Eastern European accents.

Kum & Go in Missouri

Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA

Advertisement
Ugh, that's awful. 130+ years. Little Italy is disappearing inch by inch. We're not in NYC often this time of year so won't make it back. A lot of the old guard are disappearing. I recently saw that Cowgirl Creamery is closing their Point Reyes, CA shop after 25 years too. Not the same, but always a stop when we are up there.

Little Italy is uptown in the BX, bub.

Chazz Palminteri GIF by Eric

Since our off season **** already has had tours of the butter and supermarket rings, I'd thought I start more ****...

Wawa is where it's at.

Sheets is the Wegmans of gas stations. Take your broke *** AMC Pacer elselsewhere.
Hahahaha!

Brother, this thread can't handle that Sheetz vs Wawa fire. THAT might end up in a real-life fight actually materializing. Not to get political but trying to balance THAT line actually caused John Fetterman to stroke out and end up in a subsequent depression.

I don't deny any of that but what you're describing is also what is supposed to service 8 million people. If there were adequate full-size supermarket options in NYC then the bazillion bodegas and Duane Reades wouldn't exist.

And nothing says NYC-livin' like paying $14 for a box of Raisin Bran that expired in 2006 at the corner bodega but pretending like the egg & cheese sandwich they make somehow makes up for it because you're living in center of the universe, baby! Throw me on some Francesa and the Doggy and let's scream a little about the Mets!

Haha. Good **** lol.

The bodegas and drug stores are for convenience. You walk 20 feet from your place and get the 5 things you need and be home in 10 minutes. If you choose to. But if you want to go shopping, the same way people all across the country leave their house and drive (or whatever) to their big supermarket to load up, the options in NYC are (probably) unparalleled. It's possibly a reason TO live in NYC, let alone avoid it! And btw every Wallgreens/CVS etc in America is the same as the ones in NYC. Except probably not stocked as well.

And these supermarkets will mostly deliver as well. You don't even have to carry your stuff home!

Advertisement
Little Italy is uptown in the BX, bub.

Chazz Palminteri GIF by Eric

It's not, but lol anyway. Little Italy is literally a designated neighborhood in NYC, bordering chinatown. Now if you want to say its become a shell of itself and Arthur Avenue is the better spot for Italian, I will not object : ).

BTW many prefer the Chinese restaurants in Flushing and Sunset Park over Chinatown.

It's not, but lol anyway. Little Italy is literally a designated neighborhood in NYC, bordering chinatown. Now if you want to say its become a shell of itself and Arthur Avenue is the better spot for Italian, I will not object : ).

BTW many prefer the Chinese restaurants in Flushing and Sunset Park over Chinatown.
The China Town I remember as a kid in NY, isn't anything like it is today unfortunately.

I could go on.
My buddy's roommate used to manage Murray's. I spent a few afternoons at the Blind Tiger, a slice or two at Bleecker Pizza, and then top it off with a tour of Murray's.

Advertisement
Back