CIS D-Day - February 17, 2023 - “Meat” at the Titanic!

The **** with all that. Go to Wal-Mart.

Save money. Live better.
iu

Advertisement
Haha. I'm not an ingrate, I just know better! Florida obviously suffers from real supermarket competition so that's why the best Publix in Lauderdale today is about on par with a good supermarket in Pennsylvania....when Butch Davis was our head coach.

I feel ya though in relation to some areas of the northeast- ESPECIALLY those places where godforsaken bodegas and chain pharmacies serve as the main "grocers". It's seriously one of my main aversions about NYC living.

I've actually been to Stew Leonard's in Connecticut. Not bad at all.

I'm not arguing Wegman's. And I'm not arguing some of the higher-end specialty joints.

But for a MASSIVE supermarket chain, one that spans Virginia to Florida (and which is not public-traded, so it grows its store-count organically), Publix is Top 3 to 5 in the market.

There are a number of stores in Central Florida where they are trying new things with the fresh food areas, to compete with the "Fresh Markets" and "Whole Foods" of the world.

Publix is god**** good. Fancy? Maybe not as much. And I can't speak for SoFla, where the locations make it hard to renovate or rebuild.

But I can tell you about multiple Central Florida locations where they are rebuilding the entire store. There's a location in Altamonte right by my old high school where they are building a brand-new location across the street from a very old-fashioned Publix, when there are FOUR OTHER Publix locations in Altamonte within a couple of miles.

Hahahaha!

Brother, this thread can't handle that Sheetz vs Wawa fire. THAT might end up in a real-life fight actually materializing. Not to get political but trying to balance THAT line actually caused John Fetterman to stroke out and end up in a subsequent depression.

images

Advertisement

Where are you at Tony? There is a Bucees in Ormond Beach (north of Daytona) and one in St. Augustine (south of Jax). There's also a Bucees south of Atlanta (Warner-Robins, south of Macon) and north of Atlanta.

I only recently found out about the Texas history of kolaches, which were adapted into a Texas staple using spicy sausage & cheese. They have the entire jerky section. The entire BBQ brisket/pork section. The entire bakery area. The entire fudge area. The place is INSANE.

Do yourself a favor next time you are driving, find a Bucees. The gas is cheaper too. When you first pull in, you will be shocked how big the place is. About 200 gas pumps.

Times change, demographics change. It's the nature of diaspora. My last visit to Little Italy, almost the entire wait staff had Russian/Eastern European accents.
Certainly is an interesting aspect of NYC and the 5 boroughs. My aunt lived in Sunnyside Queens for 40 years after WWII (Army nurse) and worked at Sloan Kettering. That neighborhood at one time was mostly Irish immigrants, then morphed through a variety of different ethnic changes. Believe it was heavily Vietnamese and Asian the last time I visited her. And now that area ... especially the areas closer to the river that were industrial ... are now upscale chic loft condos. NYC has gotten crazy expensive. Makes Miami look like a village in the midwest.

Advertisement
Where are you at Tony? There is a Bucees in Ormond Beach (north of Daytona) and one in St. Augustine (south of Jax). There's also a Bucees south of Atlanta (Warner-Robins, south of Macon) and north of Atlanta.

I only recently found out about the Texas history of kolaches, which were adapted into a Texas staple using spicy sausage & cheese. They have the entire jerky section. The entire BBQ brisket/pork section. The entire bakery area. The entire fudge area. The place is INSANE.

Do yourself a favor next time you are driving, find a Bucees. The gas is cheaper too. When you first pull in, you will be shocked how big the place is. About 200 gas pumps.
OH so no Wawa either

Read they plan on entering OH market in next few years but probably no where near me

Advertisement
My buddy's roommate used to manage Murray's. I spent a few afternoons at the Blind Tiger, a slice or two at Bleecker Pizza, and then top it off with a tour of Murray's.

Nice! I spent many an afternoon at the Blind Tiger. But more at the original one in the west village before they moved. Bleecker Pizza St. is super solid, better than Joe's IMO, but John's Pizza which is right there is beyond worth the time.

OH so no Wawa either

Read they plan on entering OH market in next few years but probably no where near me

Closest Bucees to you is probably one in Kentucky, off of I-75 in Richmond, south of Lexington. There's one in Tennessee too, between Nashville and Knoxville.

As for Wawa, they have expanded all the way down I-95 on the east coast, and they are now hitting the I-75 corridor, they are supposed to be coming to Atlanta soon. [EDIT: FYI, Wawa does not solely aim for "interstate exit" locations, most of their stores are in local neighborhoods near big road intersections]

Which is weird, because I think Sheetz is more "west Pennsylvania" and Wawa is more "east Pennsylvania" (historically), so you'd think Sheetz would be more established in the midwest.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back