CIS Burger Wars

Define Brit food. I've never had fish and chips that was anywhere near as good as a little place called Fisherman's Cottage in Reading or anywhere near as bad as Mr. Cod also in Reading.
Fish and Chips, Mushy Peas, Shephard Pie...etc...nothing to talk about. But I do love Fish & Chips...Crazy about Malt Vinegar. If you're in Orlando, I highly recommend the Celt & Harp Downtown. @TheOriginalCane will attest. Crazy Good Fish & Chips.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lee’s was dat thang back it the day. Big pause
Once upon a time back in Davie there was a place called Char Hut that had burgers with salsa. Loved those as a senior in high school.

Out here in Austin they had a legendary place, now closed, called Hutts Burger House. I went there with my family before seeing an Austin Toros (now the Austin Spurs) game and had a Wolfman Jack Burger (jalapeños, sour cream, quacamole). Delicious.

Fish and Chips, Mushy Peas, Shephard Pie...etc...nothing to talk about. But I do love Fish & Chips...Crazy about Malt Vinegar. If you're in Orlando, I highly recommend the Celt & Harp Downtown. @TheOriginalCane will attest. Crazy Good Fish & Chips.

Absolutely true. For @JD08 , there are a couple of places I would consider if you are up in Orlando (and I'll drive down from ATL to meet up with you)...

In downtown Orlando, @SWFLHurricane mentions the Harp & Celt (SW got the order reversed). I think The Harp is the restaurant and The Celt is the bar, or something like that. It's on Magnolia Avenue, one block east of Orange Avenue. When I worked downtown, we used to go over there nearly every Wednesday for bangers & mash, which they flew in from Ireland.

Another great place (though it's in Disney Springs) is Raglan Road. The place is legit for the food, one of the primary owners is also involved with Tottenham Hotspur. There's a group of guys who have various investments in Orlando, they used to be a client group for whom I did US tax work. Raglan Road usually has good crowds and entertainment (bands, Irish dancing, etc.).

Absolutely true. For @JD08 , there are a couple of places I would consider if you are up in Orlando (and I'll drive down from ATL to meet up with you)...

In downtown Orlando, @SWFLHurricane mentions the Harp & Celt (SW got the order reversed). I think The Harp is the restaurant and The Celt is the bar, or something like that. It's on Magnolia Avenue, one block east of Orange Avenue. When I worked downtown, we used to go over there nearly every Wednesday for bangers & mash, which they flew in from Ireland.

Another great place (though it's in Disney Springs) is Raglan Road. The place is legit for the food, one of the primary owners is also involved with Tottenham Hotspur. There's a group of guys who have various investments in Orlando, they used to be a client group for whom I did US tax work. Raglan Road usually has good crowds and entertainment (bands, Irish dancing, etc.).
I've been to Raglan Road a few times. It's one of my BIL's favorites when they're down on vacation.

Bangers and mash is one of those hit or miss things. They can be fantastic or just edible. I mentioned Fisherman's Cottage in a previous post. They'd have different bangers each time we'd go. It's amazing the varieties that are out there.

I have to make an Orlando trip next month. I might try Harp and Celt for lunch.

Once upon a time back in Davie there was a place called Char Hut that had burgers with salsa. Loved those as a senior in high school.

Out here in Austin they had a legendary place, now closed, called Hutts Burger House. I went there with my family before seeing an Austin Toros (now the Austin Spurs) game and had a Wolfman Jack Burger (jalapeños, sour cream, quacamole). Delicious.
char hut still exists.

Advertisement
The best burger I’ve ever had is Peter Lugar’s in NY. Yes it’s a well known steakhouse but the move is to go there for lunch and get their $10 burgers. They use the same meat as they use for their top notch steak. Also with thick cut 1lb bacon for appetizer.

It's fantastic! Nice call. And their porterhouse is my favorite porterhouse still.

But Minetta Tavern Black Label Burger >>>>>> Lugar's burger. Please try it sometime when in the city. And you can get in there for lunch pretty easily if you make a res.

Also the Lugar burger is like $20 now fyi.

Burger Fi is pretty darn good. The onion rings are a key differentiator between Shake Shack/Five Guys. The rings, and the sauces too.

I think Burger Fi has a bit more variety too on their toppings. They also have a "secret menu" (yes, even more than the "secret menu" that is now on the app), so do your research before you start warming up your lips. I usually get the fries "limp", I am fine with "crispy" for smaller fries (McDonald's, Steak & Shake), but for a larger fry I like less crispiness.

And with all due respect to the Shack, Burger Fi comes CLOSE on shakes. A close second-place.
i represent some insiders of Burger Fi and i follow their business, the good and the bad. the product is superior to shake shack and their margins/sales are better.

Shadow Wagyu on LeJeune Rd just north of the intersection with US1 is the best burger i've had in a long while. $20.00 with fries, but worth every penny.

Had a burger sunday at the new Capital Burgers (capital grill protege) in coral gables and it was very good. recommended.

i represent some insiders of Burger Fi and i follow their business, the good and the bad. the product is superior to shake shack and their margins/sales are better.

Shadow Wagyu on LeJeune Rd just north of the intersection with US1 is the best burger i've had in a long while. $20.00 with fries, but worth every penny.

Had a burger sunday at the new Capital Burgers (capital grill protege) in coral gables and it was very good. recommended.

There is no way Burger Fi is superior to shake shack. Shake shack is the best fast food burger bar none.

Advertisement
I'll add BGR The Burger Joint to the mix here. Their southernmost location is in NW Atlanta though.

Advertisement

There's still a couple Char-Huts around including one in Davie. Although it's not the original location that was on University Drive. They were the original fast-casual burger place here. I haven't been in years but I always liked their stuff back in the day.

Advertisement
Back