Chris Lykes enters the Portal

Lykes is looking to improve his resume in order to make himself a more appealing prospect for the pro leagues overseas. A good year of college ball could play a big role in Chris making 6 figures in Europe or $1,500 a week in Latin America. Right now, he's just a 5'7" JAG coming off an injury shortened season. Not very appealing to say the least.

Advertisement

Former Miami star and Maryland native Chris Lykes was considering Maryland and has been in contact with coach Mark Turgeon, but will instead head elsewhere after the Terps landed another point guard.

Lykes, who scored 2,266 points at Gonzaga, earning Washington Catholic Athletic Conference player of the year honors as a junior and senior, is down to two schools: Arkansas and Southern California. He said he plans to make a decision by this Wednesday.

On Arkansas: "They have a good coaching staff and they made a great run in the tournament this year. I like how they play and the coaching staff. They also have Earl Boykins on their staff, so I feel like he could teach me a lot of things."

On USC: "I just feel like they've always been there. I think being the point guard with the athletes that they have would be a great opportunity."

Just a few highlights from the article.

I'm with the camp here who thinks, at this point, that's an excuse that no longer plays (if it ever did, after the immediate impact).
This isn't an excuse. It is a fact. Coach L was destroyed by that scandal and hasn't recovered. He's running a terrible ship these days.

Former Miami star and Maryland native Chris Lykes was considering Maryland and has been in contact with coach Mark Turgeon, but will instead head elsewhere after the Terps landed another point guard.

Lykes, who scored 2,266 points at Gonzaga, earning Washington Catholic Athletic Conference player of the year honors as a junior and senior, is down to two schools: Arkansas and Southern California. He said he plans to make a decision by this Wednesday.

On Arkansas: "They have a good coaching staff and they made a great run in the tournament this year. I like how they play and the coaching staff. They also have Earl Boykins on their staff, so I feel like he could teach me a lot of things."

On USC: "I just feel like they've always been there. I think being the point guard with the athletes that they have would be a great opportunity."

Just a few highlights from the article.

I think he’d fit in well at USC.

Chris makes it sound like he was prevented from being a PG here. I call BS. Had L "suggested" that to Chris a few years ago, Chris would likely have transferred then and there. He liked taking those 3's waay too much!

Advertisement
Chris makes it sound like he was prevented from being a PG here. I call BS. Had L "suggested" that to Chris a few years ago, Chris would likely have transferred then and there. He liked taking those 3's waay too much!
Despite his height, Chris was never a point guard. I know most point guards in today's game look to score, but Lykes was a a bit of a ballhog who rarely looked to distribute and get others involved. He averaged just 2.7 assists per game in his 92 games at Miami.

Despite his height, Chris was never a point guard. I know most point guards in today's game look to score, but Lykes was a a bit of a ballhog who rarely looked to distribute and get others involved. He averaged just 2.7 assists per game in his 92 games at Miami.
Comical stat given his quickness and ability to blow by people. Even as a score first dude, that’s still unbelievable. Just shows how many contested jumpers he would take a game

Comical stat given his quickness and ability to blow by people. Even as a score first dude, that’s still unbelievable. Just shows how many contested jumpers he would take a game
His shot selection was never good. But I also blame some of this on our offense. No matter the personnel, it's been too stagnant and slow paced for quite a few seasons now. The ball sticks, there's little purposeful movement. Our offense relies on a lot of individual play making to manufacture points.

His shot selection was never good. But I also blame some of this on our offense. No matter the personnel, it's been too stagnant and slow paced for quite a few seasons now. The ball sticks, there's little purposeful movement. Our offense relies on a lot of individual play making to manufacture points.
Completely agree.

The offensive system known as “hero ball”

Advertisement
It's been this way for quite some time now. Compare our stagnant offense to a program like Gonzaga. They average 20+ assists a game, they push the tempo, they cut to the basket, set excellent screens, and the ball never sticks.
It has, only difference is he had years of big time shot makers who could mask the system inefficiencies like Kadji, Angel, Shane, and even Sheldon. That system fell on its face when Lonnie and company came to town because that was not a system that matched their strengths.

It has, only difference is he had years of big time shot makers who could mask the system inefficiencies like Kadji, Angel, Shane, and even Sheldon. That system fell on its face when Lonnie and company came to town because that was not a system that matched their strengths.
Yup. Even that 12-13 team did not have high assist numbers and wasn't a particularly efficient offensive team. That team won because it was excellent defensively and shot well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
sesame street k GIF

I'd really be interested in an honest answer from Chris or L as to what happened. I mean, what opportunity is available at Arkansas that was/is not available at UM? Wants to play PG (no player blocking him from doing that at UM), doesn't want to expend all his energy on defense (that's OK at UM for all players, from what I've seen over the years). Wants to be "top dog" on the squad (much better odds here at UM as I see it).

If the reasoning was/is that Chris wanted to be assured of playing in the NCAAT, well ... the SEC will likely be very tough in 2021-22. While the odds are better on Arkansas making the Tourney than UM, I don't see Arkansas being a lock to do so.

Advertisement
Back