Beverly
Walker
Sam
Gak
McGusty (maybe)
Robinson
Poplar
Joseph

That's 7-9 (best case) scholarship players and 1 true big. Team won't be good regardless so not understanding why Coach L would want to endure another extremely frustrating year at the bottom of the conference barrel.
I don’t think Gak is a guarantee to come back

Advertisement
Not too much of a loss in my opinion, he has been here for 3 straight losing seasons. He doesn’t get his teammates involved much, isn’t an efficient shooter or ball handler and gives up a lot of size there’s a reason why we’ve been bad with him on the court or without him the last 3 years.
dude

As a fellow DMV resident who has followed HS ball in and around the District pretty closely for 50 years, I touted Chris's abilities to the max. When he signed here, I really foresaw a great "marriage" -- for him personally, and for the UM program. After his UM career to date, though, I have to admit to being disappointed, despite some great individual games and wins.

Why disappointed? His 3 point shooting was not close to what I expected (and that, really, was always his game; at 5'7, he wasn't gonna be a force taking the ball inside). His shot selection left a lot to be desired. Also, I thought he'd be a pest defensively, and a terror with steals. We saw a bit of that but, on the whole, that aspect of his game was overshadowed by defensive minuses created by his short stature.

It'll be interested to see where he ends up. It's hard for me to envision, though, a better situation for him than to have stayed at UM. As a guaranteed starter, if he was healthy, he certainly could have felt assured of playing a MAJOR offensive role. Will that be that case where he ends up? Who knows, but I doubt it.

Although, Lykes may not have met the lofty goals set by some of us here, make no mistake about it he's got the potential to be an all-conference player wherever he goes. On the other side of things, he could also flop if he doesn't find a school with the right fit. Will be very interesting to see where he lands. I think he needs to go somewhere that will put the ball in his hands to run the offense. A place where he won't be needed to do everything, but relied upon to do some. If you're counting on him to lead your team in scoring then that could be a problem. He's more suited to play a supporting role. Needs to be on a team that has an alpha scorer, where Lykes can put up 15-17ppg, 5-7 assists, and lock up the opposing team's PG without having to worry about doing a bunch of other things.

Early on I too thought this was a great fit for both Lykes and Miami. However, I think the losing and this staff's incompetence took it's toll on him. Looked to me like Lykes' demeanor changed over the course of his time at Miami. It was night and day when you compared his body language and attitude over the last year to his first couple years here. And unfortunately it seems to me that has trickled down to the many of the other players as well. They may like and respect Coach L as a man, but doesn't seem to me they do so as a coach.

Spot on. His tenure reminds me of Kevin Norris. Norris had 2 inches on Lykes. Fun to watching when they get going. Problem is also frustrating as ****. Not sure what Power 5 school takes him or he improves his situation minutes-wise. Maybe he ends up at American or Mason.
Your recalling Kevin Norris brought a smile to my face. Out of Lake Clifton HS in Baltimore. Kevin was not as "hyped" coming out of HS as Lykes was out of Gonzaga HS in DC but he was, as you say, fun to watch. Some of Kevin's long-range shots were literally knuckleballs with zero rotation on the basketball out of his hand. At least, that's my recollection.

I think Lykes will shoot higher than an AU or Mason. Hard to understand the G'town situation -- with Wahab joining the other defectors, that program is in turmoil like UM.

Advertisement
Although, Lykes may not have met the lofty goals set by some of us here, make no mistake about it he's got the potential to be an all-conference player wherever he goes. On the other side of things, he could also flop if he doesn't find a school with the right fit. Will be very interesting to see where he lands. I think he needs to go somewhere that will put the ball in his hands to run the offense. A place where he won't be needed to do everything, but relied upon to do some. If you're counting on him to lead your team in scoring then that could be a problem. He's more suited to play a supporting role. Needs to be on a team that has an alpha scorer, where Lykes can put up 15-17ppg, 5-7 assists, and lock up the opposing team's PG without having to worry about doing a bunch of other things.

Early on I too thought this was a great fit for both Lykes and Miami. However, I think the losing and this staff's incompetence took it's toll on him. Looked to me like Lykes' demeanor changed over the course of his time at Miami. It was night and day when you compared his body language and attitude over the last year to his first couple years here. And unfortunately it seems to me that has trickled down to the many of the other players as well. They may like and respect Coach L as a man, but doesn't seem to me they do so as a coach.
"Running an offense." He's not a PG. Never has been, probably never will be. People see his height and automatically think PG. Not always the case, as we've seen here at UM.

"Running an offense." He's not a PG. Never has been, probably never will be. People see his height and automatically think PG. Not always the case, as we've seen here at UM.
Yes, the game has changed and it's hard to find a throwback PG with a pass first mentality. Since Iverson, it seems PGs are doing alot more scoring than in the past, but IF Lykes is to have a shot at a pro career, he's going to have to do it as a PG. Won't even be able to play pro ball in Latin America if he can't prove to run a team on offense. Doesn't have the size or skill set to be a SG. No one is going to cut him a check to play the 2.

Again, he needs to go somewhere that will put the ball in his hands to run the offense. A place where he won't be needed to do everything, but relied upon to do some. If you're counting on him to lead your team in scoring then that could be a problem. He's more suited to play a supporting role. Needs to be on a team that has an alpha scorer, where Lykes can put up 15-17ppg, 5-7 assists, and lock up the opposing team's PG without having to worry about doing a bunch of other things.

Yes, the game has changed and it's hard to find a throwback PG with a pass first mentality. Since Iverson, it seems PGs are doing alot more scoring than in the past, but IF Lykes is to have a shot at a pro career, he's going to have to do it as a PG. Won't even be able to play pro ball in Latin America if he can't prove to run a team on offense. Doesn't have the size or skill set to be a SG. No one is going to cut him a check to play the 2.

Again, he needs to go somewhere that will put the ball in his hands to run the offense. A place where he won't be needed to do everything, but relied upon to do some. If you're counting on him to lead your team in scoring then that could be a problem. He's more suited to play a supporting role. Needs to be on a team that has an alpha scorer, where Lykes can put up 15-17ppg, 5-7 assists, and lock up the opposing team's PG without having to worry about doing a bunch of other things.
Excellent post. You nailed it

Advertisement

Agreed with nearly everything you said here except I think putting him in a situation with an alpha scorer you're looking more of Lykes being a 12-13 point scorer and a 4-5 assist guy who can create some energy and compete.

What? He'd be a very good complimentary player with a bunch of other really good or great players. But without gaining some big transfers or some 5 star recruit out of nowhere, the difference between having him this coming year or not isn't the difference between making the postseason or not.

Problem is our roster is filled with 6'5" 2s and 3s who cannot shoot beyond 15 feet accurately...lol.
I actually think Lykes handled the ball as well as Angel R and was more accurate from 3 and Hero Ball in general; maybe the same at FTs. Real hard when any bigman underneath is butter fingers as in "hey whats this" when you pass to him. Both seemed to drive in and draw a foul better than most, but somehow it was a bit more frenetic with Lykes. Not sure I will miss him though especially since I believe he was able to chase Matt Cross out but just couldnt get Blake to kick Coach L out, who is looking more and more overdue.

Advertisement

Not to sound bitter here, but I really don't see how Chris can say he's done all he could here. Never even won a single tournament game.

We all know he's leaving because he's tired of being part of the circus. I respect that, I'd even probably do the same if I were him, but don't lie to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not to sound bitter here, but I really don't see how Chris can say he's done all he could here. Never even won a single tournament game.

We all know he's leaving because he's tired of being part of the circus. I respect that, I'd even probably do the same if I were him, but don't lie to me.

He is speaking about personal goals.
Team goals and results are on the coaching staff.

Agree with your pro ball evaluation. As for leading a college team in scoring, he is more than capable of that.

Earl Boykins would be the player comparison.
Good comparison.

Earl seemed to me to be a lot stronger physically, and with his ball handling, than Chris has shown to date. Also Earl was a very good assist man, whereas Chris has always seemed to be "shoot first." Obviously, both have/had big defensive limitations.

Advertisement
Back