Chris Lykes enters the Portal

Advertisement
Why are some of you acting surprised? It's been pretty common knowledge that Lykes was looking to leave the program. No one, not even the coaches at UM, should be surprised or mad that Chris Lykes or any other player for that matter has chosen to move on. Program has been doing a lot of losing lately and has been on a downward spiral for 3 years with no end in sight. I'm surprised some of these players stuck around for as long as they did.

Advertisement
Lol at L looking like a fool declaring Lykes had gone pro.
I think Lykes initially had intentions of going pro, but word got back to him that he wasn't going to get a draftable NBA grade. Staying in school and transferring seems like a no-brainer to me. Hope the change of scenery does him good and everything goes well for him.

Did Lykes run off Matt Cross? I feel like that was insinuated by someone on this board?

We can’t have nice things.

Couldn’t get a year with Lonnie, Bruce, Dewan all together.

Thus years team had slot of good players too, we never got to see them play together really.

Shame

Advertisement
University of Miami joining the ACC is like a gorgeous 22yo girl who marries a rich guy, proceeds to immediately let herself go, gain 50 pounds, develop bad acne, and show no interest in reverting back to her prior hotness; all while continuing to spend his money.

Even though he wakes up every day regretting his decision and wanting to dump her, there's no prenup so he's screwed for life. He still holds out hope that she'll get back her hotness, but as more years go by, it becomes increasingly unlikely to happen.

It’s never been more clear and obvious that it’s time to part ways with L.

Yet here we are sitting on our hands while we watch this program spiral further and further out of control and down the drain. Shameful.
There is no reasonable justification for retaining ANY of the head coaches for football (unqualified) baseball (blatant nepotism) or basketball (game clearly past him by years ago) other than total apathy.

Advertisement
Not too much of a loss in my opinion, he has been here for 3 straight losing seasons. He doesn’t get his teammates involved much, isn’t an efficient shooter or ball handler and gives up a lot of size there’s a reason why we’ve been bad with him on the court or without him the last 3 years.

University of Miami joining the ACC is like a gorgeous 22yo girl who marries a rich guy, proceeds to immediately let herself go, gain 50 pounds, develop bad acne, and show no interest in reverting back to her prior hotness; all while continuing to spend his money.

Even though he wakes up every day regretting his decision and wanting to dump her, there's no prenup so he's screwed for life. He still holds out hope that she'll get back her hotness, but as more years go by, it becomes increasingly unlikely to happen.

Gotta buy this bish a Peloton.

So:

Wong (maybe)
Beverly
Walker
Sam
Gak
McGusty (maybe)
Robinson
Poplar
Joseph

That's 7-9 (best case) scholarship players and 1 true big. Team won't be good regardless so not understanding why Coach L would want to endure another extremely frustrating year at the bottom of the conference barrel.

Advertisement
I think Lykes initially had intentions of going pro, but word got back to him that he wasn't going to get a draftable NBA grade. Staying in school and transferring seems like a no-brainer to me. Hope the change of scenery does him good and everything goes well for him.
As a fellow DMV resident who has followed HS ball in and around the District pretty closely for 50 years, I touted Chris's abilities to the max. When he signed here, I really foresaw a great "marriage" -- for him personally, and for the UM program. After his UM career to date, though, I have to admit to being disappointed, despite some great individual games and wins.

Why disappointed? His 3 point shooting was not close to what I expected (and that, really, was always his game; at 5'7, he wasn't gonna be a force taking the ball inside). His shot selection left a lot to be desired. Also, I thought he'd be a pest defensively, and a terror with steals. We saw a bit of that but, on the whole, that aspect of his game was overshadowed by defensive minuses created by his short stature.

It'll be interested to see where he ends up. It's hard for me to envision, though, a better situation for him than to have stayed at UM. As a guaranteed starter, if he was healthy, he certainly could have felt assured of playing a MAJOR offensive role. Will that be that case where he ends up? Who knows, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
So:

Wong (maybe)
Beverly
Walker
Sam
Gak
McGusty (maybe)
Robinson
Poplar
Joseph

That's 7-9 (best case) scholarship players and 1 true big. Team won't be good regardless so not understanding why Coach L would want to endure another extremely frustrating year at the bottom of the conference barrel.
Pride. His contract. Doesn’t want to retire. Doesn’t give up easily.

So:

Wong (maybe)
Beverly
Walker
Sam
Gak
McGusty (maybe)
Robinson
Poplar
Joseph

I can give you +2 million reasons why. Plus, his ego thinks he can turn it around. He had 2 losing seasons in a row at Bowling Green. He has probably convinced himself that were it not for injuries, which might be true to a certain extent but irrelevant. If one of his assistants departs for that basketball juggernaut, Penn State, then you know the boat that has been taking on water for 3 years is about to go completely under.

As a fellow DMV resident who has followed HS ball in and around the District pretty closely for 50 years, I touted Chris's abilities to the max. When he signed here, I really foresaw a great "marriage" -- for him personally, and for the UM program. After his UM career to date, though, I have to admit to being disappointed, despite some great individual games and wins.

Why disappointed? His 3 point shooting was not close to what I expected (and that, really, was always his game; at 5'7, he wasn't gonna be a force taking the ball inside). His shot selection left a lot to be desired. Also, I thought he'd be a pest defensively, and a terror with steals. We saw a bit of that but, on the whole, that aspect of his game was overshadowed by defensive minuses created by his short stature.

It'll be interested to see where he ends up. It's hard for me to envision, though, a better situation for him than to have stayed at UM. As a guaranted starter, if he was healthy, he certainly could have felt assured of playing a MAJOR offensive role. Will that be that case where he ends up? Who knows, but I doubt it.
Spot on. His tenure reminds me of Kevin Norris. Norris had 2 inches on Lykes. Fun to watching when they get going. Problem is also frustrating as ****. Not sure what Power 5 school takes him or he improves his situation minutes-wise. Maybe he ends up at American or Mason.

Advertisement
Back