Chris Lykes enters the Portal

I'd really be interested in an honest answer from Chris or L as to what happened. I mean, what opportunity is available at Arkansas that was/is not available at UM? Wants to play PG (no player blocking him from doing that at UM), doesn't want to expend all his energy on defense (that's OK at UM for all players, from what I've seen over the years). Wants to be "top dog" on the squad (much better odds here at UM as I see it).

If the reasoning was/is that Chris wanted to be assured of playing in the NCAAT, well ... the SEC will likely be very tough in 2021-22. While the odds are better on Arkansas making the Tourney than UM, I don't see Arkansas being a lock to do so.

Arkansas was just a 3 seed in the tournament and Miami wouldn't have been the 3 seed if they played in a tournament of just basketball teams in Dade county.

Advertisement
I'd really be interested in an honest answer from Chris or L as to what happened.
Don't expect such an answer if it involves politics, T-shirts and labels, Matt Cross, and whatever else we probably cannot even comfortably discuss on this board (or many other places) including how the ethnicity and politics of the HC and assistants figure in to many of the personnel decisions in basketball these days (and fun times.)

What a crap show.

Lykes, Cross, Timberlake, Olayni, and Brooks all gone.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

I'd really be interested in an honest answer from Chris or L as to what happened. I mean, what opportunity is available at Arkansas that was/is not available at UM? Wants to play PG (no player blocking him from doing that at UM), doesn't want to expend all his energy on defense (that's OK at UM for all players, from what I've seen over the years). Wants to be "top dog" on the squad (much better odds here at UM as I see it).

If the reasoning was/is that Chris wanted to be assured of playing in the NCAAT, well ... the SEC will likely be very tough in 2021-22. While the odds are better on Arkansas making the Tourney than UM, I don't see Arkansas being a lock to do so.
One coach is closer to the NCAA mountain top and the other is closer to retirement. I don't blame him for not wanting to play for the latter. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Advertisement
One coach is closer to the NCAA mountain top and the other is closer to retirement. I don't blame him for not wanting to play for the latter. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
True, but is that REALLY enough to make a kid brought up in an urban, cosmopolitan environment, and who lived and played in Miami, to want to uproot his life to spend one freakin' year in the hills and backwoods of Arkansas?

If he had, as reported, an offer from Southern Cal and wanted to go live/play ball in LA, I would've understood immediately. Looks to me like he left UM with no real plan of where he wanted to transfer to. Apparently, just wanted to be anywhere but here.

True, but is that REALLY enough to make a kid brought up in an urban, cosmopolitan environment, and who lived and played in Miami, to want to uproot his life to spend one freakin' year in the hills and backwoods of Arkansas?

If he had, as reported, an offer from Southern Cal and wanted to go live/play ball in LA, I would've understood immediately. Looks to me like he left UM with no real plan of where he wanted to transfer to. Apparently, just wanted to be anywhere but here.

Either that, or both the schools he wanted to transfer to ended up going in different directions - Maryland took Fats Russell and Georgetown couldn't promise him a spot in the starting lineup.

Either that, or both the schools he wanted to transfer to ended up going in different directions - Maryland took Fats Russell and Georgetown couldn't promise him a spot in the starting lineup.
I wonder if Arkansas can/did promise him that? Aren't Moses Moody (Montverde) and Devante Davis both Freshmen? And, Notae and Sills rising Seniors? All four, if returning, are excellent Guards. Gotta think there was more 2021-22 PT for him at UM.

I wonder if Arkansas can/did promise him that? Aren't Moses Moody (Montverde) and Devante Davis both Freshmen? And, Notae and Sills rising Seniors? All four, if returning, are excellent Guards. Gotta think there was more 2021-22 PT for him at UM.

Moody will probably be a top 15 pick in the draft this year, but you're right about the others. Maybe they're planning on going 4 guards, or there's another shoe to drop. They also just got Audiese Toney.

Advertisement
He doesn’t belong in any big time programs starting 5. He is a spark off the bench that can log major minutes if he has it going. Anything more and your asking too much out of the young man

He doesn’t belong in any big time programs starting 5. He is a spark off the bench that can log major minutes if he has it going. Anything more and your asking too much out of the young man
I don't know about that one. It's tough to say that about someone who was voted preseason All-ACC 1st Team prior to this season. I think Chris is good enough to start for anyone. Just don't think he's good enough to lead a team to the promise land on his own. If he's the best player on your team, chances are your team isn't very good. However, I do think he's good enough to be the 2nd-3rd-4th option on any team and if that's the case, chances are the team is doing a lot of winning. Chris Lykes at peak performance has the ability to be an all-conference player anywhere in the country.

Advertisement
I don't know about that one. It's tough to say that about someone who was voted preseason All-ACC 1st Team prior to this season. I think Chris is good enough to start for anyone. Just don't think he's good enough to lead a team to the promise land on his own. If he's the best player on your team, chances are your team isn't very good. However, I do think he's good enough to be the 2nd-3rd-4th option on any team and if that's the case, chances are the team is doing a lot of winning. Chris Lykes at peak performance has the ability to be an all-conference player anywhere in the country.
Agree to disagree. Talent is most certainly there. But he plays out of control a lot, turns the ball over, and has bad shot selelction. I don’t personally think he plays winning basketball so I would utilize him more off the bench as a spark like we did his freshman year

Chris Lykes at peak performance has the ability to be an all-conference player anywhere in the country.
Exactly why a program like UM was a great choice out of HS for a player like Chris to get the opportunity to shine. Where you have a bunch of NBA prospects (the "blue blood" schools), not so much.

Moody will probably be a top 15 pick in the draft this year, but you're right about the others. Maybe they're planning on going 4 guards, or there's another shoe to drop. They also just got Audiese Toney.
Devonte Davis, their 6'3 freshman G, impressed the heck out of me during the Tourney. Kid is athletic as ****, with major hops.

Advertisement

Better coach, better staff, better team etc.

Our program is a mess and we’re coming off three straight losing seasons.

Maybe you should consider that our environment is “toxic” and a “mess”.

Maybe you should consider that our environment is “toxic” and a “mess”.
If it's all about a one-year "showcase" of your skills, I'm not sure how that comes into play. He'd be a guaranteed starter for UM this coming season, maybe the 4th guard at Arkansas. How does that help set you up for the professional ranks, overseas or in this country?

Advertisement
Back