Checklist for our next head coach

Maybe Manny was just trolling us…All the while we thought the Turnover Chain was for defensive takeaways. Perhaps he meant Turnovers in the coaching staff…..if we see him put it on, we’ll know he gone. 🤓

Advertisement
There are so many things we need in a coach but many of them are characteristics most good coaches inherently have.

It is funny and sad where we are because we really should not need a wish list for a coach that will instill discipline. Shouldn't that just come with good coaching?

So Sad.

Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

Here are a few. Add/subtract if you like.

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.

There aren't any sure things out there and we don't have the war chest to outbid a lot of schools for whoever the hottest name is, so whoever we get will probably have some blemishes.

But no more fool's gold, please.

******** up the next hire could potentially be irreversible.

You’ve already done more than Blake.

Advertisement
1) Mario
2) Mario
3) Kellen Moore
4) If you've made it this far, you're fvcked. So just call Urban and let him tell you no.
5) I don't know... call Jimmy Johnson and just let him hire someone for you.

Check List

1.) experience working with the best coach ever
2.) Cuban with attractive wife
3.) ex OL with NC rings
4.) would kick most other coaches ***
5.) Name rhythms with Bario

1. Butch Davis
2. Forget the ethnicity -
3. Coach with UM NC Rings and Superbowl Rings as DC - Butch Davis!
4. Recently kicked Manny's *** with significantly inferior team - Butch Davis.
5. Recruited JJ's teams - handed over to Erickson - Butch Davis
6. Raised UM football from the ashes while suffering 31 scholarships - Butch Davis
7. Hard-nosed defenses, and loose, fun offenses - Butch Davis
8. Top recruit Evaluator - Butch Davis
9. Top talent Developer - Butch Davis
10. Someone we can actually afford - leaving good money for Coordinators - Butch Davis

Straight Flush.

Can we please recognize that our coach is small potatoes when you think about the real problems we have?

Advertisement
This will get some snowflakes hot but he must have white skin, preferably hailing from one of the fly-over states.

Schnellenberger - Indiana
Johnson - Oklahoma
Erickson - Washington
Davis - Oklahoma
Coker - Oklahoma

Advertisement
This will get some snowflakes hot but he must have white skin, preferably hailing from one of the fly-over states.

Schnellenberger - Indiana
Johnson - Oklahoma
Erickson - Washington
Davis - Oklahoma
Coker - Oklahoma
I had no idea Schnellenberger was a Hoosier. That's kind of surprise. Didn't come across as a Hoosier, but now that I think of the way he said a few words like "measure" there is a little Midwest in there.

Last edited:
Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

Here are a few. Add/subtract if you like.

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.
I'd add

4. Abolishing the rings/turnover chain until the team is top 5. Pretty simple, when these things come out down four scores, we look like a complete clown show.

5. Running off the #NFLU entitlement from players who haven't done a **** thing in the college game. I'm sick of our guys standing up and flexing after a 10+ yard gains from the opposing team. ST26, Ed Reed, Jon Vilma, Vince, Shockey, B. McKinnie, Andre Johnson, Portis, McGahee, etc. -- those guys made Miami #NFLU after they were great college players. Too many recruits are coming in with a sense of entitlement and aren't earning their stripes on Greeentree first; this needs to be wiped out of the program by the next guy.

Earn it.

Advertisement
Jason Garrett

Ivy League, Former Player
Son of a coach
Quarterback
Worked under Saban in Miami
Former NFL HC
Current NFL OC
garrett-clap.gif

Advertisement
Back