Checklist for our next head coach

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

Here are a few. Add/subtract if you like.

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.

There aren't any sure things out there and we don't have the war chest to outbid a lot of schools for whoever the hottest name is, so whoever we get will probably have some blemishes.

But no more fool's gold, please.

******** up the next hire could potentially be irreversible.

Advertisement
Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.

There aren't any sure things out there and we don't have the war chest to outbid a lot of schools for whoever the hottest name is, so whoever we get will probably have some blemishes.

Check List

1.) experience working with the best coach ever
2.) Cuban with attractive wife
3.) ex OL with NC rings
4.) would kick most other coaches ***
5.) Name rhythms with Bario

How about one obvious trait - he doesn’t act like an absolute spaz on the sideline. Manny celebrates when opposing kickers miss field goals. He acts like a big kid on the sidelines. He’s just not professional and doesn’t demand any respect. It’s the coaching equivalent of that idiot defensive lineman we had dancing on the sideline

Check List

3.) ex OL with NC rings

u-http-1-bp-blogspot-com-Emi7rj3-Uec0-Uem-FPCZRfi-I-AAAAAAAAN3-Q-cx31w-Up-VXNE-w1200-h630-p-nu-tripl.gif

Advertisement
How about one obvious trait - he doesn’t act like an absolute spaz on the sideline. Manny celebrates when opposing kickers miss field goals. He acts like a big kid on the sidelines. He’s just not professional and doesn’t demand any respect. It’s the coaching equivalent of that idiot defensive lineman we had dancing on the sideline

WLDM9X.gif

1074-CC07-776-E-463-B-B13-D-2-E7-A54-BA1991-jpeg.jpg

Advertisement
Ive said this before, but if UM hires a real coach that runs hard practices...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty big exodus of players, who simply couldnt stomach such things

Sometimes that’s what it takes.

A lot of players quit when Urban Meyer took over at Florida. Didn’t he make some guy who sat out practice dig ditches or something?

The Pirate had guys quit at Wazzu.

Maybe we need a hardass to set things right. I just want a coach who knows what the **** he’s doing.

All of these and more would be included in the checklist of a legitimate decision maker. A legitimate decision maker would be in place if the University's leadership would value athletics.

Mario at coming home to this **** show, when he has it rolling in Eugene. We had our chance to hire Mario, and we went with Manny.

Time to get on the Lane train.

Advertisement
Ive said this before, but if UM hires a real coach that runs hard practices...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty big exodus of players, who simply couldnt stomach such things
Not if the coach has an established record with credibility.

If we bring in Coach Corporal Punishment from the University of East Anchorage and he imposes SEAL level toughness...yes, I imagine a bunch of players will quit.

Actually, now that I think of it isn’t this what Taggart did at Oregon?

Advertisement
Luke Fickell would be my number one. I don’t believe he’s going to USC as some have assumed. I’d love to get Mario and believe he’s an option. We’ll all just have to hope if it’s going to happen, it’s quick and the damage to the program is minimized relative to the action.

Last edited:
Check List

3.) ex OL with NC rings
We need to do a coaching search with multiple candidates, and actual interviews like all the quality college football programs do. No more nepotism.

Advertisement
Back