Checklist for our next head coach

Advertisement
Ive said this before, but if UM hires a real coach that runs hard practices...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty big exodus of players, who simply couldnt stomach such things

We could look at MSU as an example of a big exodus. With that comes opportunity to bring in new players. They lost a ton to the transfer portal after Tuckers first year and brought in 20 transfers. Bring in guys who are hungry and will buy in to the new culture that are older and want to compete.

Advertisement
I want an experienced HC or NFL coach. We must not take another attempt at a first time HC. Of course what they make and want comes into play. Also im not gonna base it off results alone, their style must fit and some coaches are hamstrung by where they are
1) Mario Cristobal, well known, not much needs to be said

2)Mark Stoops, coached here and FSU. Alot of experience in the SEC.

3) Hugh Freeze, someone was lying, he makes 3 million at Liberty. He would jump at a chance to come back to big boy football and raw dog the ACC coastal. He actually should be #2

4) Mike Leech, i know what im getting, still has the energy and Flamboyance we would love. And will stop the soft shoulder crap.

5) Tom Allen, Indiana HC, plays in the big Ten, has a winning record at Indiana. Like his style of play.

There are other candidates in college that have good resumes. Interview them all. I don't have enough information on NFL coaches who could do a great job as well. As long as they have serious experience. One inexperience coach I would give an interview is Joe Brady OC of the Carolina Panthers. Just 31 and he is from Miami. Also he was the architect of that LSU offense. Can't find how much he makes but doubt it's more than Diaz does.

Wild Card Art Briles, more like a pipe dream to be fair. But really we are a dump and we may have to do unconventional things to get out of this mess. My point is stop telling me Diaz and the likes is the best we can do. Everyone mentioned is a better coach with better accomplishments.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

Here are a few. Add/subtract if you like.

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.

There aren't any sure things out there and we don't have the war chest to outbid a lot of schools for whoever the hottest name is, so whoever we get will probably have some blemishes.

But no more fool's gold, please.

******** up the next hire could potentially be irreversible.

has to be able to battle and win o nthe trail vs OSU Clemson and Bama for sfla elite recruits

1) Has run a successful program before
2) Has the Supreme ability to evaluate and recruit
3) Has developed, or is apart of, a network of successful coaches.
4) Has developed players and gets them drafted

Fickell, Cristobal, Napier fit these requirements

Advertisement
Assume for a second we have a competent AD (I know, I know). What are the requirements for a coach?

Here are a few. Add/subtract if you like.

1. Has had some success running a P5 program — Too many G5 guys have flamed out recently when they moved up to the P5 level. We need someone who knows what the **** they're getting into. If we're going to gamble on a coordinator or G5 guy, he should at least be someone who was an assistant at a top-tier program, but I'm leery of that path at this tenuous moment for our program.

2. Has a track record of well coached and prepared teams — Watching Miami, it's striking how ill-prepared we always are. Drops, missed tackles, penalties, boneheaded plays. Ever week we wait for these fatal errors, and every week they happen. Dropped TD, penalty, missed chip shot FG, dropped INT, etc... And we ALWAYS lose focus after seizing momentum. This has been happening for years. We'll score a TD, then give up a 50-yard kickoff return, and the other team will score in three plays. We'll get a huge defensive stop, then fumble two plays letter. We need a coach with attention to detail who's willing to hold guys accountable. Because that's not showing up on gameday.

3. Has sound schemes on both sides of the ball — At this point, I don't even care what we run schematically so long as we have coordinators who know how to run it AND recruit to it. Manny's defense looked good with veteran LBs and safeties to clean up all the kamikaze blitzing and slanting. But LB recruiting behind Shaq and Pinckney (who were already committed by the time Manny got here) has been abysmal. Safety has recently gotten better, but the young guys don't play. Part of running a particular scheme is being able to identify guys who can run it. We've been horrendous at that.

There aren't any sure things out there and we don't have the war chest to outbid a lot of schools for whoever the hottest name is, so whoever we get will probably have some blemishes.

Unless it’s Mario then No.1 ain’t happening unless said coach is at the lowest of the low of P5.

All of these and more would be included in the checklist of a legitimate decision maker. A legitimate decision maker would be in place if the University's leadership would value athletics.
this is more important than firing Diaz, a competent AD & maybe a new president Frenk has not raised any substantial $$$ academic standing seems trending downward as well. also clean up the cash drain called U health Donna's vanity project that is still costing us a boatload of $$$

Advertisement

Someone should have said this after CMR left.......................

Advertisement
Back