Chat with Coach D.

dhead23

Recruit
Premium
1. Guy next to me(apparently a youth coach) called out Coach D as he was walking to the coach's box. Said, "when will your D become aggressive". Coach D responded "fix your TV, we are always aggressive on D". Lol It seemed that comment got under Coach D's skin and he came back down 5mins later to address common questions by most avid fans.

1. Why aren't we aggressive on D? Coach D says this a myth as 50% of the time we are sending 5 men to attack. This is among highest in CFB.

2. Why the CBs play passive then? They are taught to play aggressive and even in zone (cover 2) they should be jamming receivers at the line. CBs are not choosing to not stay aggressive within the scheme. Boundary corners are always taught to play press. He highlighted Artie as a good example of who's executing the scheme properly.

3. What's up with our boy Tracy? He's the top DB in the nation and 5 star recruit? Only 2 ints??? You can't put that type of pressure on him. ( I came away thinking Coach D thought he was overrated coming out of HS)

4. What's up with the Linebackers??? You have to put that dawg in them. Make them understand how to play coverage! I'm a former Linebacker and 34th pick in the NFL draft. ( that caught me off guard. I didn't know he was that good in college). He added that he knows linebackers and that led into development.

5. Player Development? I took an underrated linebacker to the best in the draft. Developed Gunther to a 3rd pick. Armbrister will get drafted. That's just our first class we recruited on D. We are improving on D and the coaching reflects that. You can't argue we are not improving. We were 16th in nation in total D and yds per play.

6. Recruiting?? We can't keep all the talent home. (He couldn't really argue we are losing players to SC, FSU, UF)

7. What about that GT game? We held them to the second fewest rushing yards last year. A team that runs it 60 times a game and relatively we didn't do as bad as other teams. No turnovers really hurt us. Remember we won the last three games against them.

Overall, I found the conversation shocking because coach D came away as a cool dude. I actually enjoyed his personality and he knows his issh. He's arrogant but after watching the spring game I see why. I think he knows this D is going to be special so he's pounding his chest and resume.

As we watched the scrimmage, there was a blitz by Kirby on the 1st play of the game for a lost. Blitzes continued and our D dominated. Apparently this is our base D and now the players are executing. I came away optimistic for our D but left puzzled by our offense and especially the development of Kaaya and the play calling. Smh

Advertisement
Lmao at "we are always aggressive on D."

Someone should tape this bountiful-****ed jackass's eyes open and make him watch the Nebraska game again. Or pretty much any game he's ever coached at Miami.

Disingenuous piece of shlt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
CBNSbTLUsAA3QO4.jpg

Our team is kind of our team

Words of wisdom

Advertisement
4. What's up with the Linebackers??? You have to put that dawg in them. Make them understand how to play coverage! I'm a former Linebacker and 34th pick in the NFL draft. ( that caught me off guard. I didn't know he was that good in college). He added that he knows linebackers and that led into development.

D'Onofrio played at the collegiate level with the Penn State Nittany Lions, where he was a team captain. In the 1992 NFL Draft, D'Onofrio was selected in the second round by the Green Bay Packers. He became a starter with the team that season, however a severe injury would cause him to retire soon after.

1. Why aren't we aggressive on D? Coach D says this a myth as 50% of the time we are sending 5 men to attack. This is among highest in CFB.

Sending 5 to attack? Even when we blitz we don't send 5. We usually have 3 guys standing still playing patty-cake. That's the opposite of attack, and unless we're sending 5 blitzers we aren't actually sending 5 men to attack most of the time.

Advertisement
It's purely philosophical at this point! He knows what to do to fix it but they won't. I worked for an ******* like that and quit after the season. They're trying to get paid at this point. They have no future here and they know it. Get fired = Get paid

Take it however you want but the 1st team defense looked good today. Now maybe the O was vanilla. But I will give credit where it's due. I'm excited by our LBs. Grace was all over the place.

Advertisement
Of course the corches know more about football than me(the average fan).

The problem is that literally every other coach knows more than them, and a couple snazzy comebacks isn't going to change that.

D'Onofrio played at the collegiate level with the Penn State Nittany Lions, where he was a team captain. In the 1992 NFL Draft, D'Onofrio was selected in the second round by the Green Bay Packers. He became a starter with the team that season, however a severe injury would cause him to retire soon after.

the lobotomy?

Sending 5 to attack? Even when we blitz we don't send 5. We usually have 3 guys standing still playing patty-cake. That's the opposite of attack, and unless we're sending 5 blitzers we aren't actually sending 5 men to attack most of the time.
I have no football background besides madden. His point was that we blitz a lot. Now how he defines blitzes or pressure could be different from you consider it to be; however, on paper we are tops in the nation in terms of blitzing by his definition.

Advertisement
Back