Chat with Coach D.

Advertisement
I'll say one thing for him. The stretch including duke, vt, and the first half of fsu was the first time we've seen really good defense here in quite some time. I think that's how he envisions things when they "work." The team fell apart mentally after fsu but I have a hard time putting that on a coordinator. That's more of a head coach issue and it was tough.

I don't know that he has any real idea of what to do with a true option and spread option offense and these probably illustrate some of his biggest flaws. But overall I get tired of donofrio rhetoric at this point. He showed the type of improvement that many said he couldn't, and it seems like frustration with Golden and the overall failure gets redirected toward him since he's golden's right hand and he's been here awhile. Golden is the bigger issue at this point. Donofrio isn't perfect but I don't get the sense that he is going to be the primary issue if the team fails this year. In fact I think most would be surprised if our O ranks above our D.

Advertisement
Should have asked them what happened in the Nebraska game.. Didn't make one single adjustment.

The point of blitzing isn't to pad stats and call yourself aggressive. Point is to disrupt plays in the backfield. The way we blitz has been a major problem. Too far from the LOS, too late and ineffective, leading to easy completions.

I'll say one thing for him. The stretch including duke, vt, and the first half of fsu was the first time we've seen really good defense here in quite some time. I think that's how he envisions things when they "work." The team fell apart mentally after fsu but I have a hard time putting that on a coordinator. That's more of a head coach issue and it was tough.

I don't know that he has any real idea of what to do with a true option and spread option offense and these probably illustrate some of his biggest flaws. But overall I get tired of donofrio rhetoric at this point. He showed the type of improvement that many said he couldn't, and it seems like frustration with Golden and the overall failure gets redirected toward him since he's golden's right hand and he's been here awhile. Golden is the bigger issue at this point. Donofrio isn't perfect but I don't get the sense that he is going to be the primary issue if the team fails this year. In fact I think most would be surprised if our O ranks above our D.

IF Dorito has truly changed his scheme, that alone would be an improvement. I'll believe it when he shows it against real competition.

The other problem is time of possession. We're going to have even more 3 and outs than last year. This D is going to be out there even longer. By the 4th quarter, they'll be gassed. So Grolden, trying to protect the D, will be dinking and dunking even more. But, without Warlord and Duke, we won't have the horses, for that type of game.

4-8

Like I said, I was shocked he even sat with us but he wanted to address us fans. I have respect for him because he didn't act like a punk and go hide in the coach's booth. He came out like a man and addresses every issue. It was a good dialogue and I learned something. But I honesty only think he came back down because he knows our D is going to be more aggressive this year. We saw much more effective safety blitzes and rush from the DE. Every play we watched the CBs, especially Elder and Burns played press. **** #24 who's probably a walk on was jamming waters and was step for step with him.

I think people should put Coley under the same fire and pull out the stats on 3rd down because the guys I was sitting were very critical of him. Especially the play calling and development of Kaaya.

One of guys coached with him and maybe it was jealously but he just said it's who you know and not what you know. Basically he wasn't any better coach than him. He called out the flaws in Kaaya game and said Gray isn't a running back because he's too stiff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I actually enjoyed his personality and he knows his issh. He's arrogant but after watching the spring game I see why. I think he knows this D is going to be special so he's pounding his chest and resume.

What in all the Galaxy would give you the opinion D'nofrio knows his "issh"!!! Secondly, no matter the sport 6-7 does not! I repeat, Does NOT! Give one reason to boast! Lastly! Resume! His resume more prominently features record breaking concession of yardage! Our defenses gave up yardage faster than the Poles to the Blitzkrieg.

He has a method for defense and he's able logically defend any question we raised. At the end of day I'm just a fan not a professional coach. I don't know the in and outs of a defense besides the stuff I read on here. The youth coach and him were debating I was just taking mental notes. He broke down to me what we are doing differently on D now. That defense yesterday wasn't passive. Anyone that attended the spring game, knows that we had excellent coverage and applied pressure all day. Even the touchdowns were tight throws.

They didn't discuss records bc he's the DC not head coach.

Defensively, UM couldn't stop the run.

Stats from 7 losses...301 carries...1386 yards...4.60 YPC...16 TDs...43.00 carries per game...198.00 YPG.

I wish somebody had these stats handy when He decided to "hold court" with the fans.

1. Why aren't we aggressive on D? Coach D says this a myth as 50% of the time we are sending 5 men to attack. This is among highest in CFB.

Sending 5 to attack? Even when we blitz we don't send 5. We usually have 3 guys standing still playing patty-cake. That's the opposite of attack, and unless we're sending 5 blitzers we aren't actually sending 5 men to attack most of the time.

It sounded like the new DL coach was trying to stop the "patty cake"

Advertisement
Advertisement
After four years of "progress" I still have no confidence in twinkie **** and his boy toy. We went 6-7 and Dino was part of the reason why. Fack him!!

You guys are reading way too much into this, enjoy it for what it is

There is nothing to enjoy with this BUM of HC. This Spring Game is a joke and the way Golden runs the Spring Game is a JOKE. To not use the Spring Game as a recruiting tool is moronic. What is Golden is trying hide this season, does he think by being so secretive this season that he is going to get a leg up on the other teams. Golden and D'No a blowing a major smoke up everyone rear when they start stating cherry picking stats. What has been said this spring so far was said last season even DP said there are no excuses last season, how the talent was there and how everyone knew the playbook like the back of their hand and what happened... the defense sucked (AGAIN).

To everyone buying into Golden load of crap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

It's purely philosophical at this point! He knows what to do to fix it but they won't. I worked for an ******* like that and quit after the season. They're trying to get paid at this point. They have no future here and they know it. Get fired = Get paid

THIS!

Advertisement
Back