Chase Smith Interview with Footballville

Advertisement
210 is way too light. Even 225 is light for his height.

He should shoot for 240.
It depends. He has a similar height/weight build as Isaiah Simmons LB/S for Clemson and he was in the 225-230 range as a Sr. If his body develops and is comfortable as the weight is gained while keeping and/or adding speed and explosion I would leave him in that range. I wouldn’t just be adding weight for the sake of being heavier at the expense of Speed and Explosion. How his body develops will ultimately dictate where his weight ends up.

Lol I don’t think y’all understand how hard it is to put on good weight when you are a college athlete. You can’t just add 30 lbs like a video game. Every player isn’t able to add good weight easily.
I'm pretty sure I remember Jason Taylor saying he played a lot of his career at 240. Sometimes it's hard to add good weight.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Smith played linebacker last year when he was lighter than he is now. And he was very effective.
Chase played well in space, my concern is how he plays closed to the LOS trying to stop the run.

Last edited:
Smith played linebacker last year when he was lighter than he is now. And he was very effective.
Smith also barely played last year. At 210, with a substantively larger role, his body will wear down.

I dont really understand why my comment is being attacked so much. He knows himself he needs to gain weight.

6'4 210 is not an ideal LB. Point blank. No need to argue that point.

His frame is also enormous. Long *** arms. Maybe he won't gain it all this year, but his body will eventually be optimized at 235-240lbs.

Advertisement
Smith also barely played last year. At 210, with a substantively larger role, his body will wear down.

I dont really understand why my comment is being attacked so much. He knows himself he needs to gain weight.

His frame is also enormous. Long *** arms. Maybe he won't gain it all this year, but his body will eventually be optimized at 235-240lbs.
He also does not look out of place on the field. I think everyone agrees he needs to gain weight, just very few people think he should not get a legit shot because of weight. Like when Huff is on the field he looked smaller than Chase which is odd considering Chase is taller. If Chase really came in at 176 dude was light AF and gaining 35lbs in a year is plenty, he is on his way to being bigger.

I believe he’s out for spring, no? When will he be able to start working out again? Ideally he can get to 225 by start of the season.

If it was that easy to put on that much lean muscle, everyone would do it. It's not. There are different body types. He easily could be an ectomorph. Those types of guys are doing good to put on .25 pounds of muscle a week. Over the course of a year that's 14 pounds which puts him right at where you guys want him. These massive weight gains that guys are making in the span of 4-8 weeks are a combination of water retention from gear, overeating, and massive amounts of glycogen being stored from lots of carbs. You will see these guys shed plenty of weight during the summer and come out looking lean, but their overall weight won't be where you would want it to be. That kind of stuff takes multiple years.

Advertisement
He also does not look out of place on the field. I think everyone agrees he needs to gain weight, just very few people think he should not get a legit shot because of weight. Like when Huff is on the field he looked smaller than Chase which is odd considering Chase is taller. If Chase really came in at 176 dude was light AF and gaining 35lbs in a year is plenty, he is on his way to being bigger.
I never said he shouldn't be on the field regardless. He's a beast.

Confident this kid will be a difference maker, but I would have bet a sack of gold he was far more than 210lbs. He will gain weight, Strong and Steele will get the mental and physical side taught.

Great interview. Chase really did his best to hint what the problems were without actually throwing Manny under the bus!! Its a different team now.

Advertisement
Back