Charted every play on offense 3rd qtr is on page 4

Great post. Would love to see a 3rd and 4th quarter analysis as well, but understand if doing 2 was enough for you.

In your opinion do you think Rosier will start to 'get' the system more and will start finding the right man quicker or do you think he is what he is for the most part?

Last year Kaaya's eyes and feet weren't on the same page most of the year and he didn't seem to go through his progressions well, but as the year went on he seemed to become more and more comfortable in the offense and we all know how we looked to end the year. I'd love for this coming game to be like our game against Pitt to start off November went, but realistically speaking I don't thin kit's just going to click that suddenly for Rosier. It'd be great if I were to be wrong.

I've already started the 3rd quarter, it should be up sometime tomorrow.

The thing about Rosier is for the most part he seems to be hitting his back foot and letting the ball go. Almost too quick in the trigger as some of the plays come open later. I don't think he trust his oline much (can't blame him) . I'll probably write up a full analysis/summary of the offense after I finish and go in more detail there

Advertisement
That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions, etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

actually motions would make it more simple for Rosier. Once you motion a player, it'll make it eaiser for him to read the defense pre snap. Somthing as simple as lining homer out in the slot, then motioning him to the backfield is all it honestly takes. It you want herndon lined up in the slot, start him up inline every once in a while then motion him out. Start with berrios lined up in the backfield with homer, then motion him out, etc. stuff like that doesn't make it more complicated on the QB, it makes it easier to try to tell what the Defense is doing presnap. Post snap that doesn't change anything

Youre wrong when you say it's not more complicated for the QB. It is. Now you want a guy who has trouble reading a defense in the first place, thinking even more about meaningless motions before the snap. The whole motion thing is being overplayed just because we don't run it. Believe me when i tell you seasoned QBs can tell when the blitz is coming more times than not. Every once in awhile you can fool a qb by looking man and bailing into zone, but most of the teams we have faced haven't done anything tricky. We just have a QB who was a run first guy in HS, who had probably some bad coaching until last year, and has a whole 9 starts under his belt in major college football.

what I bolded is exactly the problem. Rosier isn't a seasoned QB. Dude clearly struggles identifying who is open.
And i just completely disagree with you that adding some meaningless motion makes it more complicated. It would help Rosier id coverages/blitzes easier.

That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions, etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

actually motions would make it more simple for Rosier. Once you motion a player, it'll make it eaiser for him to read the defense pre snap. Somthing as simple as lining homer out in the slot, then motioning him to the backfield is all it honestly takes. It you want herndon lined up in the slot, start him up inline every once in a while then motion him out. Start with berrios lined up in the backfield with homer, then motion him out, etc. stuff like that doesn't make it more complicated on the QB, it makes it easier to try to tell what the Defense is doing presnap. Post snap that doesn't change anything

Youre wrong when you say it's not more complicated for the QB. It is. Now you want a guy who has trouble reading a defense in the first place, thinking even more about meaningless motions before the snap. The whole motion thing is being overplayed just because we don't run it. Believe me when i tell you seasoned QBs can tell when the blitz is coming more times than not. Every once in awhile you can fool a qb by looking man and bailing into zone, but most of the teams we have faced haven't done anything tricky. We just have a QB who was a run first guy in HS, who had probably some bad coaching until last year, and has a whole 9 starts under his belt in major college football.

what I bolded is exactly the problem. Rosier isn't a seasoned QB. Dude clearly struggles identifying who is open.
And i just completely disagree with you that adding some meaningless motion makes it more complicated. It would help Rosier id coverages/blitzes easier.

Motions are overplayed. It can tell you if they're in man, but the majority of times, once the formation changes with a motion, the coverage changes on the back end too. So you can see one thing, use motion and the coverage just totally changed. So now what he is looking at presnap, just changed.

The whole motion thing is being played out because we don't do it. Our fan base wants to run EVERYTHING they see on TV that en vogue. Keep it simple because it's obvious our boy has some limitations. Don't make the kid think about who to send in motion and what that is going to do to the coverage.

OP is really hitting the nail on the head that Malik is releasing the ball probably too quickly. That is a great hypothesis from all of his breakdowns. Malik does not seem to be letting the plays develop or he is predetermining his read and once that back foot hits, the ball is flying. My suspicion is it's a little bit of both.

3rd quarter

1 & 10 -22 SG- 11 personnel 23 lined up immediately to the right of the RT but 3 yards in the backfield.RB(24) offset to QB right 4 wide left, 8 left slot. 82 on the backside right play action pass, 4 runs a post, 8 runs a 15 yard dig, 23 leaks out into flats right, 82 runs an 13 yard hitch. 12 throws the post to 4 who is wide open for a TD. Defense is in nickel with a 4 man line. They dropped into cover 4 zone. The 2 LBs and the NB all came forward a total of 4 yards on the play action. perfect play call as they were sitting on a 1st down run. oline made a clean pocket. 4 runs a great route to set the CB up outside before breaking back inside.

1 & 10 -40 SG- 11 personnel 23 lined up immediately to the left of the LT but 3 yards in the backfield.RB(24) offset to QB right 82 is wide left, 8 is slot right, 4 is wide right. we call inside zone. Blocked decently well with 74 reaching the next level however 62 is beaten badly and 24 bounces it wide left nothing is there, 24 runs hard to get 1 yard

2 & 9 -41 SG- 11 personnel l TE(23) inline on the right, RB(24) offset to the left of the QB. 82 is wide left, 8 is slot right, 4 is wide right "LOL holy ****. So we run zone read. 52 is beat so clean on his OUTSIDE shoulder that the DE has time to bend back inside and threaten the RB enough that 12 pulls it even tho the read person (23 in blue) is sitting outside waiting for him to keep it. 12 actually makes a fairly athletic move to escape the tackle in the backfield and salvage the play by turning minus 5 yards into a 2 yard gain. It was blocked beautifully by everyone else, 74 was reaching the next level, it would have been a good run. 24 actually shrugs off the DE as he runs through the gap so if 12 handed it off we probably still get a decent run but that's hindsight.

actually re-watching it, the defense is in a nickel, 4 man line with 2 LBs. the WLB actually walks up outside of the DE showing blitz right as we are snapping the ball. probably causes 52 to hesitate for half a second on should he block the DE or not as the read person is the widest person on the line of scrimmage which was the DE a split second before its not."

3 &7 -43 SG- 11 personnel trips right (23, 8, 4) Rb off set to QB left (24) 82 wide left. 82 runs a 15 yard dig, 23 and 8 both run 4 yard hitches, 4 runs a 15 yard dig. Defense is in nickel with a 4 man line and both LBs showing blitz. Every comes for a 6 man rush with a T/E stunt as well. Line actually does a great job picking it up. Defense is in man coverage with a single high safety. 12 throws the dig to 82, incomplete. Db arrives at the same time as the ball. pass is accurate and 82 needs to make the tough catch if he is as special as we think he is. 4's dig looks like he creates more separation. can;t fault 12 for going to his most talented WR in man coverage if his 6 in blue is an NFL CB.

4 & 7 punt

1 &10 13 SG- 12 personnel 87 lined up inline to the right 23 lined up immediately to the right of 87 but 3 yards in the backfield. RB(24) offset to QB left. 81 is wide left, 82 is in the slot left. defense is in base (4-3). SLB is on the LOS, outside shoulder of 87, WLB is head up with 23, 3 yards off the ball. The 2 CB are across from the WR, FS is in the middle of field, SS is splitting the difference of the slot and the LT. We run a pass play, 81 runs a fade, 82 runs a speed out (5 yards). 87 runs an arrow to the right, 23 stays in to block. defense is in man coverage, 2 deep safeties. however the defender over 82, actually is the one who plays the 2 deep. the defender that was splitting the difference covers 82 in man. based on alignment he is already beat. 12 throws the speed out inaccurate low and away, incomplete. oline held up well. great play call vs the defense not executed well.

2 & 10 13 SG- 11 personnel 23 lined up immediately to the right of the RT but 3 yards in the backfield. RB(24) offset to QB left 4 is wide right, 8 is slot left, 82 is wide right. we run what looks like a zone read. 23 pulls around to the left to lead block. 8 runs a bubble. 12 keeps it and runs left for 2 yards. The LBs are held by the fake to the RB, 23 gets enough of the unblocked defender for 12 to turn the corner and is in position to block the flowing LB. the play is made by the nickleback who barely reacts to 8's bubble route and closes quickly.

*not sure its an option b/c 8 runs back inside to try and get a block but if he keeps it and tosses it out to 8 its a touchdown.*

3 & 8 11 SG- 11 personnel, tight trips right. 23 inline to the left. (82,8,4) are in the trips. RB (24) is offset to the QB right pass play, 23 runs a shallow drag right. 82 runs a shallow drag left, 8 runs a intermediate drag left. 4 releases inside, may run a post or a c corner. 24 swings into flats right. Almost looks like we were expecting man and had some rub route concepts going on. This is a bad play call for reasons I will detail in a minute. Defense is in nickel, 4 man line. Both LBs are in the middle of the field. LCB is across from 23, NB is in a press look in fron of 8, SS is LB depth, splitting the difference of 82 and the RT, RCB is outside align on 4. FS is shifted to the right about even with 82 alignment. Now why this is a bad call, trips is almost always going to be met with zone due to the natural rubs and picks available. The defense alignment (RCB outside alignment vs tight trips) screams zone as well. 12 throws the swing route immediately, the nickelback jams 8 and then gets to the flat. throw is behind 24 and makes him have to slowdown and spin to catch it. 24 actually breaks the first tackle and turns a minus 2 into a 7 yard gain.

4 & 1 Richt looks like he was going for it before settling for the field goal.

1 & 10 -8 SG- 11 personnel, 87 inline to the left. 82 is wide left, 8 is slot right, can’t see who is wide right. RB (24) is offset to the QB left. 82 runs 12 yard hitch, 87 runs a 5 yard hitch, 8 runs a quick out (5 yards) can't see the wide right WR route (probably something vertical). 12 throws the hitch to 82 for 11 yards and a first down. Defense is in nickel, 4 man line and plays man coverage, 2 deep safeties. good pocket by oline.

1 & 10 -19 SG- 11 personnel, 87 inline to the left but off the line of scrimmage 3 yards, 82 is wide left, 8 is slot right, can’t see who is wide right. RB (24) is offset to the QB left. We run inside zone. *This may be confused with zone read b/c 12 executes a fake after the handoff but its not a read* we bring 87 across the formation to block the DE. 24 is aiming for the B-gap between the LG and the Center, however 73 is beat so he shifts back to the backside C-gap (between RG and RT) for 6 yards. the LB gets off 74 block to make the tackle. We still generate almost no movement and the LB are way more physical than our OL but positive yards so I'll be nice

2 & 4 -25 SG- 11 personnel, 87 inline to the left, 82 is wide left, 8 is slot right, 84 is wide right. RB (24) is offset to the QB left. 82 runs a 7 yard hitch, 87 runs a hitch, 8 runs a quick out, 84 runs a go route. Defense is in nickel, man coverage, 2 deep safeties. 12 throws the go route to 84, incomplete. Pass is overthrown and 84 is blanketed. 8 on the out should have been the throw and he's open with room to run if the ball is accurate.

3 & 4 -25 SG- 11 personnel spread, 82 is wide left, 23 is slot left, 8 is slot right, 4 is wide right 82 and 4 run post, 23 and 8 run hitches. Defense is in nickel, 4 man line. Nickelback walks up for the blitz early and is pointed out by 52, FS walks down closer to 23. defense is in man coverage with a single high safety. 12 threw the post to 4 who is open but its too far inside, incomplete. Big play opportunity missed. Have to question the play call on 3rd and 4 when the offense is struggling. makes more sense to run a play shorter and designed to get the first to keep the drive alive. Richt chews 12 out, either about inaccurate throw or for not throwing the hitch to 8 for the first down. would have had to been thrown accurate and on time but it was available

4 & 4 -25 punt

1 & 10 -4 SG- 11 personnel 4 is wide left, 8 is slot left, 23 is inline to the left, 82 is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's right line blocks read, 78 doesn’t block the DE and gets upfield, DE crashes on RB, 12 gives it anyway. Bad read by 12. *he was banged up the previous drive* 24 carries for 2 yards.

2 & 8 -6 SG- 11 personnel 4 is wide left, 8 is slot left, 23 is inline to the left, 82 is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's right 4 runs a 5 yard dig, 8 runs a wheel, can’t see other WR routes. 12 throws to 8 who is wide open, pass is slightly overthrown but 8 makes an amazing diving catch for 42 yards. Defense looks like it is in man coverage, 2 deep safeties.

1 & 10 -48 SG- 11 personnel 81 is wide left, 8 is slot right, 23 is inline to the right, can't see who is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's left PA pass, 81 runs go route, 8 runs wheel, who ever is up top looks like they ran a hitch. 12 throws the go to 81, incomplete. Defense is in man coverage, 2 deep safeties. CB is in 81 hip, and he's unable to make the contested catch. The wheel to 8 looks like it was breaking open again.

2 & 10 -48 SG- 11 personnel, tight trips right. 81 is wide left. (23, 80, 84) are in the trips. RB (24) is offset to the QB right we run PA roll out pass. 81 runs a deep drag, 23 runs a drag and breaks back out, 80 runs a quick out, 84 runs a go route. Defense is in man coverage, 2 deep safeties. The CB checking 81 breaks on the PA. 12 rolls out and tucks it for 18 yards. 81 was wide open on the drag that probably picks up the same amount of yards. Good run by 12 but he needs to see 81

1 & 10 34 SG- 11 personnel 81 is wide left, 80 is slot left, 23 is inline to the right, 81 is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's left PA pass, we run what looks like four verticals. Defense is in man and blitzes the boundary CB. 24 picks up the blitz but 62 is jacked backward and causes 12 to shuffle and 78 is beat inside and gives up the sack. Window is too tight to see if any of the routes are open

2 & 15 39 SG- 11 personnel, full spread. 4,8,and 24 are to the left. 23 is slot right, 82 is wide right. 4 runs a go route, 8,24, and 23 run hitches. 82 is running something vertical. Defense is in nickle, 4 man line. They blitz 1 LB and run the T/E stunt. The stunt is not picked up but 73 is beat so quickly it doesn’t matter. 62 is also beat quickly. Don't worry, 52 is also beat a second later so if the 2 other people don't get there, the 3rd defender will. Sack

3 & 22 46 SG- 11 personnel, trips left. 81 is wide left. (4, 8, 23) are trips. RB (24) is offset to the QB right, 82 is wide right pass, 4 and 82 run post, 8 and 23 run hitches. Defense is in a soft cover 2. both post are pretty open for at least 13 or 14 yards but 12 throws the hitch to 23 for about 9. clean pocket by the oline.

4 & 13 37 SG- 11 personnel, trips left. 81 is wide left. (4, 8, 23) are trips. RB (24) is offset to the QB right, 82 is wide right We run the exact same play, defense is in nickel, 4 man line, man coverage, 2 deep safeties. 12 tries to throw the post to 82 but its batted down at the line. Defense runs a T/T stunt and DT comes free and bats the ball down. 82 was open and it’s a 1st down if the pass is accurate and 82 doesn't drop it

1 & 10 49 SG- 11 personnel 4 is wide left, 8 is slot left, 23 is inline to the right, 82 is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's left we run a HB screen, defense sniffs it out, 12 throws is away, incomplete

2 & 10 49 SG- 11 personnel 4 is wide left, 8 is slot left, 23 is inline to the right, 81 is wide right. RB(24) is offset to the QB's right. Can't see the routes that well, 23 runs a quick dig, 24 runs a go route (and is held, no call). Oline protects well early but 12 holds it and 78 gives up pressure inside. 12 tucks and runs and gets 1 yard. defense is in nickel with a 4 man line. Hard to see the coverage.

3 & 9 48 SG- 11 personnel, full spread. 4,8,and 24 are to the left. 23 is slot right, 82 is wide right. defense is in a nickel, 3 man line and brings 2 LBs, one on a delay who comes clean. Defense is in a man coverage. 12 gets the pass off before getting blasted b the free running LB but its batted down at the line of scrimmage by the other LB

The thing about Rosier is for the most part he seems to be hitting his back foot and letting the ball go. Almost too quick in the trigger as some of the plays come open later. I don't think he trust his oline much (can't blame him) .

This is where I disagree. I dont think it that he doesn’t trust OL...he just panics.

Pass protection was solid earlier in the year when we faced weaker opponents. Rosier still got rid of the ball too quick. I think I mentioned it after BC game.

This contributes to why I’m not sure the RPO fits. I’d like to see more quick-hitting underneath stuff, more like the west coast offense. I think that’d fit Rosier better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
The thing about Rosier is for the most part he seems to be hitting his back foot and letting the ball go. Almost too quick in the trigger as some of the plays come open later. I don't think he trust his oline much (can't blame him) .

This is where I disagree. I dont think it that he doesn’t trust OL...he just panics.

Pass protection was solid earlier in the year when we faced weaker opponents. Rosier still got rid of the ball too quick. I think I mentioned it after BC game.

This contributes to why I’m not sure the RPO fits. I’d like to see more quick-hitting underneath stuff, more like the west coast offense. I think that’d fit Rosier better.

That's a possible option. Impossible for us to know. I disagree with the west coast b/c I don't think Rosier has short and intermediate accuracy for it. Rosier probably works best with a strong run game and PA passing game with vertical shots

I agree with this, more than once Rosier has basically ran up the back of his Oline as he felt pressure that really wasn't there. Hard to let any plays develop when you do this...

Advertisement
Back