Charted every play on offense 3rd qtr is on page 4

Also posted this in another thread but prob fits here better:

I rewatched the game and I swear to god Hayden ******* Mahoney straight up singlehandedly blew at least like 5 run plays and 3 pass plays all by himself - and I think I'm being generous towards him!. I literally couldn't believe that he played like 75% of the game. Dude literally has to be one of the weakest OL on our team because the DL made him their bytch. Do not let him play vs VTechs Defense, they'll eat his soul. KC McDermott got beat a couple of times as well, but hes obviously our best LT. Gaynor got his *** beat a few times too. Like Idk whats up with our OL letting the DTs cross their face so **** easily. Like holy ****, in this run blocking scheme thats all you need to not let the DL do. **** man, Darling and Donaldson need to stay healthy. I have no idea why they were rarely in, but its not good.

Also Idk whats up with Ahmmon Richards but he needs to step the **** up. Last game he was terrible. And this game he was pretty bad, and it seemed like he wasn't giving a great effort. Richt needs to force some more plays to him, and Idk why when we get in the redzone he comes out for Langham. Langham and Richards should both be on the field in the Redzone, and Jeff Thomas should come out the game. But I'm really liking JT4 and Berrios on one side with Herndon inline or split out with Richards.

Second thing I saw was that Redwine did not have a good 1st half. He made a few solid plays in the 2nd half, but he was responsible for at least 4 big plays by UNC's offense. and he's terrible at keeping contain. Redwine has been a solid safety for us this season as a whole, and he's definitely MUCH better than that scrub Knowles, but man do we need Jobe and Hall to come in and be ready to play.

Perry and Owens played okay for like 75% of their snaps, But **** man, they miss so many ******* plays, I really don't get why they are always on the field so **** much. Owens had one of the worst missed tackles I've ever seen. Charles Perry got a pick but hes completely responsible for their 2nd TD. These backup LBs and Safeties are infuriating. McClouds been getting a lot of **** for ******* up a few plays a game, but I don't think he played all that terrible this game. He had 2 bs roughing passers on him that shouldn't have been fouls. McCloud is still way better than the backups.

I think one of my main takeaways is that very often it is just one guy ******** up the entire ******* play on offense. Its really not the scheme thats the problem all that often. A lot of Times its just Rosier making a stupid read or being inaccurate when he has guys open. In this game particularly, a single OLman would completely **** up the blocking. And sometimes a WR will drop the ball. Its honestly just one player messing the play up really badly most of the time. Defensively I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with all the DL stunts. Like straight up we dominate teams when we just let our 4 guys get to the QB. And a lot of time we lose contain on the qb, its due to the stunts or the LB blitzing in once he sees that the RB is staying in to block (instead of just spying qb or something). I'm not saying be less aggressive. I'm down for all the blitzing we do. **** im even okay with all the zone blitzing that makes Joe Jackson drop back. But the DL stunts are really starting to become a detriment.

Advertisement
That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions, etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

actually motions would make it more simple for Rosier. Once you motion a player, it'll make it eaiser for him to read the defense pre snap. Somthing as simple as lining homer out in the slot, then motioning him to the backfield is all it honestly takes. It you want herndon lined up in the slot, start him up inline every once in a while then motion him out. Start with berrios lined up in the backfield with homer, then motion him out, etc. stuff like that doesn't make it more complicated on the QB, it makes it easier to try to tell what the Defense is doing presnap. Post snap that doesn't change anything

I actually was just editing my post to clarify that I agree with using motion a bit more, but got a phone call which took some time.

I agree with you, to an extent. But, there is some more complication to using motion as there is just more going on, more chance of a false start or alignment penalty, etc. When you get into more intricate motions, like Clemson's motion deception game, there becomes a lot more choreography that takes thinking at first, until you do it so many times that it becomes automatic.

Just pointing out that there are a lot of different levels of complexity when you talk about the broad topic "motion". I think what Richt is trying to do is KISS concept, 'keep it simple stupid". Give Rosier AND many of these freshmen and inexperienced linemen and playmakers simple concepts and simple reads to give them the best chance of making the right choices and less mistakes on any given play.

Just explaining what I view as the prevailing logic. I personally would like to see a bit more motion, though. One other element of that, is it (motion) does give the defense a bit more time to get lined up properly and to evaluate what we're doing. See it both ways.

Almost done with 2nd quarter. I owe Richt an apology smh...oline is either poorly coaches or much worse than we thought

That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"

Ive been saying this since the FSU game. This guy is so premeditated. I hope its just a matter of inexperience because its really bad.

Advertisement
Almost done with 2nd quarter. I owe Richt an apology smh...oline is either poorly coaches or much worse than we thought

People negged me to death about it last year but I see it again this year. Searels is a questionable oline coach.

We need a Russ grimm type

Advertisement

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions, etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

actually motions would make it more simple for Rosier. Once you motion a player, it'll make it eaiser for him to read the defense pre snap. Somthing as simple as lining homer out in the slot, then motioning him to the backfield is all it honestly takes. It you want herndon lined up in the slot, start him up inline every once in a while then motion him out. Start with berrios lined up in the backfield with homer, then motion him out, etc. stuff like that doesn't make it more complicated on the QB, it makes it easier to try to tell what the Defense is doing presnap. Post snap that doesn't change anything

Youre wrong when you say it's not more complicated for the QB. It is. Now you want a guy who has trouble reading a defense in the first place, thinking even more about meaningless motions before the snap. The whole motion thing is being overplayed just because we don't run it. Believe me when i tell you seasoned QBs can tell when the blitz is coming more times than not. Every once in awhile you can fool a qb by looking man and bailing into zone, but most of the teams we have faced haven't done anything tricky. We just have a QB who was a run first guy in HS, who had probably some bad coaching until last year, and has a whole 9 starts under his belt in major college football.

I rewatched the game and I swear to god Hayden ****ing Mahoney straight up singlehandedly blew at least like 5 run plays and 3 pass plays all by himself - and I think I'm being generous towards him!. I literally couldn't believe that he played like 75% of the game. Dude literally has to be one of the weakest OL on our team because the DL made him their bytch. Do not let him play vs VTechs Defense, they'll eat his soul. KC McDermott got beat a couple of times as well, but hes obviously our best LT. Gaynor got his *** beat a few times too. Like Idk whats up with our OL letting the DTs cross their face so **** easily. Like holy ****, in this run blocking scheme thats all you need to not let the DL do. **** man, Darling and Donaldson need to stay healthy. I have no idea why they were rarely in, but its not good.

Also Idk whats up with Ahmmon Richards but he needs to step the **** up. Last game he was terrible. And this game he was pretty bad, and it seemed like he wasn't giving a great effort. Richt needs to force some more plays to him, and Idk why when we get in the redzone he comes out for Langham. Langham and Richards should both be on the field in the Redzone, and Jeff Thomas should come out the game. But I'm really liking JT4 and Berrios on one side with Herndon inline or split out with Richards.

Second thing I saw was that Redwine did not have a good 1st half. He made a few solid plays in the 2nd half, but he was responsible for at least 4 big plays by UNC's offense. and he's terrible at keeping contain. Redwine has been a solid safety for us this season as a whole, and he's definitely MUCH better than that scrub Knowles, but man do we need Jobe and Hall to come in and be ready to play.

Perry and Owens played okay for like 75% of their snaps, But **** man, they miss so many ****ing plays, I really don't get why they are always on the field so **** much. Owens had one of the worst missed tackles I've ever seen. Charles Perry got a pick but hes completely responsible for their 2nd TD. These backup LBs and Safeties are infuriating. McClouds been getting a lot of **** for ****ing up a few plays a game, but I don't think he played all that terrible this game. He had 2 bs roughing passers on him that shouldn't have been fouls. McCloud is still way better than the backups.

I think one of my main takeaways is that very often it is just one guy ******** up the entire ****ing play on offense. Its really not the scheme thats the problem all that often. A lot of Times its just Rosier making a stupid read or being inaccurate when he has guys open. In this game particularly, a single OLman would completely **** up the blocking. And sometimes a WR will drop the ball. Its honestly just one player messing the play up really badly most of the time. Defensively I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with all the DL stunts. Like straight up we dominate teams when we just let our 4 guys get to the QB. And a lot of time we lose contain on the qb, its due to the stunts or the LB blitzing in once he sees that the RB is staying in to block (instead of just spying qb or something). I'm not saying be less aggressive. I'm down for all the blitzing we do. **** im even okay with all the zone blitzing that makes Joe Jackson drop back. But the DL stunts are really starting to become a detriment.

Our whole interior online really blew that game. But if that's the worse we'll be fine.

2nd qtr is up in the OP.

The play where he had BB crossing the middle of the formation and he threw it to homer in the flats. BB gets 10-15 yards as he outruns the LB.

The slant Berrios caught from his back would've been 6 as no one was in front of him

The hitch to 82 when 12 threw to 23 on the out that the LB knocked down

Anyone one of these, pretty easy reads and throws, changes the complexion of those drives imo.

Thank you very much for the work.

Advertisement
Do you have access to extra tape or are you just watching replay from TV?

recorded the tv broadcast. Would love to get my hands on some all 22 but...

On the 3rd play, IMO the post breaks open bc both S saw the ball was released. Their LBs got proper depth on their drops and we ran max protect.

Not a whole lot available to Rosier, a ball he probably needs to eat.

It was cover 4. Post Dig Combo is the JERK OFF call for a pure cover 4. Almost ensures the safety will come down on the dig if Malik uses his eyes to bring the safety to BB. Then just put a little air to the post on the throw, Thomas scores all day. You don't like what you see on that side of the field then throw the deep out to the top. It's there and he has all day with a clean pocket.

Post/dig is a MF'er.

Sure is. A dig is the hardest route to defend when run and thrown properly. All you can do is hope to make the tackle.

Post/Dig is one of the best route combos, especially off play-action. Put the safety in a bind by bracketing him with routes and make him think with the PA influence.

All you can hope is the QB misses the throw really

I rewatched the game and I swear to god Hayden ****ing Mahoney straight up singlehandedly blew at least like 5 run plays and 3 pass plays all by himself - and I think I'm being generous towards him!. I literally couldn't believe that he played like 75% of the game. Dude literally has to be one of the weakest OL on our team because the DL made him their bytch. Do not let him play vs VTechs Defense, they'll eat his soul. KC McDermott got beat a couple of times as well, but hes obviously our best LT. Gaynor got his *** beat a few times too. Like Idk whats up with our OL letting the DTs cross their face so **** easily. Like holy ****, in this run blocking scheme thats all you need to not let the DL do. **** man, Darling and Donaldson need to stay healthy. I have no idea why they were rarely in, but its not good.

Perry and Owens played okay for like 75% of their snaps, But **** man, they miss so many ****ing plays, I really don't get why they are always on the field so **** much. Owens had one of the worst missed tackles I've ever seen. Charles Perry got a pick but hes completely responsible for their 2nd TD. These backup LBs and Safeties are infuriating. McClouds been getting a lot of **** for ****ing up a few plays a game, but I don't think he played all that terrible this game. He had 2 bs roughing passers on him that shouldn't have been fouls. McCloud is still way better than the backups.

I think one of my main takeaways is that very often it is just one guy ******** up the entire ****ing play on offense. Its really not the scheme thats the problem all that often. A lot of Times its just Rosier making a stupid read or being inaccurate when he has guys open. In this game particularly, a single OLman would completely **** up the blocking. And sometimes a WR will drop the ball. Its honestly just one player messing the play up really badly most of the time. Defensively I'm starting to get pretty annoyed with all the DL stunts. Like straight up we dominate teams when we just let our 4 guys get to the QB. And a lot of time we lose contain on the qb, its due to the stunts or the LB blitzing in once he sees that the RB is staying in to block (instead of just spying qb or something). I'm not saying be less aggressive. I'm down for all the blitzing we do. **** im even okay with all the zone blitzing that makes Joe Jackson drop back. But the DL stunts are really starting to become a detriment.

If you don't keep the offense honest by using stunts regularly, the oc will gameplan against it. You cannot keep rushing the same way.

Have you seen our defensive play count? If you want Pinckney and quarterman fresh at the end of games, you better dam well rest their asses throughout the game.

Donaldson obviously not 100 percent and darling probably isn't which is why they are getting rested.

Berrios, every game, is open a ton and never thrown to. As good as he's been, he's actually being underutilized by our QB

Advertisement

Go Canes!

I actually was just editing my post to clarify that I agree with using motion a bit more, but got a phone call which took some time.

I agree with you, to an extent. But, there is some more complication to using motion as there is just more going on, more chance of a false start or alignment penalty, etc. When you get into more intricate motions, like Clemson's motion deception game, there becomes a lot more choreography that takes thinking at first, until you do it so many times that it becomes automatic.

Just pointing out that there are a lot of different levels of complexity when you talk about the broad topic "motion". I think what Richt is trying to do is KISS concept, 'keep it simple stupid". Give Rosier AND many of these freshmen and inexperienced linemen and playmakers simple concepts and simple reads to give them the best chance of making the right choices and less mistakes on any given play.

Just explaining what I view as the prevailing logic. I personally would like to see a bit more motion, though. One other element of that, is it (motion) does give the defense a bit more time to get lined up properly and to evaluate what we're doing. See it both ways.

With the number of times guys just seem to be out of place or not doing their job, I might be hesitant to add any complexity no matter how small. Don't know if that's Richt's thinking, but I wouldn't blame him if he wants to see better execution before making anything more complex. Of course it's also possible he just believes in simplicity and winning with athleticism and execution.

Great post. Would love to see a 3rd and 4th quarter analysis as well, but understand if doing 2 was enough for you.

In your opinion do you think Rosier will start to 'get' the system more and will start finding the right man quicker or do you think he is what he is for the most part?

Last year Kaaya's eyes and feet weren't on the same page most of the year and he didn't seem to go through his progressions well, but as the year went on he seemed to become more and more comfortable in the offense and we all know how we looked to end the year. I'd love for this coming game to be like our game against Pitt to start off November went, but realistically speaking I don't thin kit's just going to click that suddenly for Rosier. It'd be great if I were to be wrong.

He almost threw to the slot the second time around, too. I wonder how much of it is he's being repped "no mistakes, no mistakes, be safe, be safe." Without being in the film room with them, impossible to really know.

I wonder that too. I did see Richt chewing Rosier out after one drive though. And in the GT game I remember him saying to Rosier "be smart, be smart" from the sideline.

I know the fans love Rosier right now, and I like him too, but he's probably way more limited than many of us realize.

I wonder that too. I did see Richt chewing Rosier out after one drive though. And in the GT game I remember him saying to Rosier "be smart, be smart" from the sideline.

I know the fans love Rosier right now, and I like him too, but he's probably way more limited than many of us realize.

IIRC, the "Be smart" from coach Richt happened at the end of the FSU game right before Rosier tossed up that beauty to Langham.

If these little execution errors get cleaned up we could witness something very enjoyable on Saturday night.

It would also help if some of these turnovers would just get returned for TDs by the defense. ;)

Advertisement
Back