Charted every play on offense 3rd qtr is on page 4

Solid analysis.

First drive play 3 is the play that we scored the long TD on. I bet that was an adjustment during the half, but Malik almost made the wrong read again.

Also on the first play it was 73 that killed the play. 82 was driven back over 73 who was laying on the ground. On that play 73 managed to not block anyone, but take out 2 of our blockers.

As you see by your play charting that a lot of things are open, we just need some better decisions from our trigger man. Wait till you get to the second quarter and you'll really see some questionable decisions by our trigger man. However i think this is the worse he plays and he will be a gamer this week

Herndon screwed up both plays.

73 is Darling not Herndon

Advertisement
It's threads like this where I wonder is it more the playcalling or the play execution that's the problem. The plays seem to be there, but the players need to make them. All it takes is one guy not doing what he needs to do, and the play is screwed.

I got some more coming, I'll update the OP when I finish this next drive (holy **** we missed some potential big plays)

this shows we just need to go more tempo and allow rosier to get dialed in asap

the plays are clearly there, richt is taking heat on his playcalling for no reason

Advertisement
Do you have access to extra tape or are you just watching replay from TV?

recorded the tv broadcast. Would love to get my hands on some all 22 but...

On the 3rd play, IMO the post breaks open bc both S saw the ball was released. Their LBs got proper depth on their drops and we ran max protect.

Not a whole lot available to Rosier, a ball he probably needs to eat.

It was cover 4. Post Dig Combo is the JERK OFF call for a pure cover 4. Almost ensures the safety will come down on the dig if Malik uses his eyes to bring the safety to BB. Then just put a little air to the post on the throw, Thomas scores all day. You don't like what you see on that side of the field then throw the deep out to the top. It's there and he has all day with a clean pocket.

Post/dig is a MF'er.

recorded the tv broadcast. Would love to get my hands on some all 22 but...

On the 3rd play, IMO the post breaks open bc both S saw the ball was released. Their LBs got proper depth on their drops and we ran max protect.

It was cover 4. Post Dig Combo is the JERK OFF call for a pure cover 4. Almost ensures the safety will come down on the dig if Malik uses his eyes to bring the safety to BB. Then just put a little air to the post on the throw, Thomas scores all day. You don't like what you see on that side of the field then throw the deep out to the top. It's there and he has all day with a clean pocket.

These are NFL plays/throws you are asking Rosier to make. The out on that play has to be perfect or its getting pick 6'd

I don't disagree with what you say about the out route, but the throw to the post is an easy throw with a lot of field to work with

Just let it fly. There's nobody over the top of the throw to pick it. Worst case scenario it's an overthrow.

That's the type of savvy that good QB's have and Rosier lacks IMO.

These are NFL plays/throws you are asking Rosier to make. The out on that play has to be perfect or its getting pick 6'd

I don't disagree with what you say about the out route, but the throw to the post is an easy throw with a lot of field to work with

Just let it fly. There's nobody over the top of the throw to pick it. Worst case scenario it's an overthrow.

Yup, CB is in panic mode because that's not his area plus add in 4's speed and he's going to be terrified. You can just lob it in the middle of the field and let 4 run underneath it. Worse case scenario is an overthrow. Even an underthrow probably gets you DPI

Advertisement

Rosier hasn't overthrown a deep ball yet. He isn't underthrowning them by a ton but he isn't hitting the guys in stride either.

That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"

That 3rd play just lets me know that Rosier doesn't understand what he's looking at and where the throw should go.

Nobody calls a dig/post combo TO THROW THE DIG!!! The throw is the post. It's 1-on-1 coverage with no help over the top.

Later on in the game he hits Thomas for a long TD on the same concept, likely after Richt told his a$$ "throw the **** post!"
He almost threw to the slot the second time around, too. I wonder how much of it is he's being repped "no mistakes, no mistakes, be safe, be safe." Without being in the film room with them, impossible to really know.

He almost threw to the slot the second time around, too. I wonder how much of it is he's being repped "no mistakes, no mistakes, be safe, be safe." Without being in the film room with them, impossible to really know.

Absolutely this, hence the pump fake, cause Berrios hadn't broke his route off yet.

Advertisement
3rd play I would've sent Thomas on a post, Herndon on an out route, and Homer to the flats...all 3 routes exploit the weaknesses of Cover-4...simple.

Thomas was on a post and likely open. At worst, Thomas was 1 on 1 with the CB so I'd like his chances over Bax with two under and two over.

Herndon's not a very good in-line blocker. And Richards didn't miss that block, He just got His *** jacked up.

Just rewatched that play since I missed that drive and holy crap, Richards got his block knocked off. Demolished.

Advertisement

Yeah, noticed that as well - kind of pumped, then realized Thomas was wide open. Incidentally, I think Thomas was open on the first one as well.

1:07:31 running the 2 minute drill. The way the defense aligned alone. Smh. With the defensive end playin 4 tech hes almost already out of the play. We couldve gotten much more out of that drive and he could've opened up our run game much more with better decision making.

Hopefully he just gets better and better

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions (although I do agree with using at least some motion, even if just to help the running game), etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

Last edited:

I wish I could beat every Canes fan who says "hire a real OC" with this ****. It's exactly what I've been saying/suspecting for a few weeks now, as confirmed by [MENTION=8076]apfenny3[/MENTION], by the play charting above, by [MENTION=5124]Coach Macho[/MENTION] , by the weekly film breakdown guy, etc... This isn't to pick on Rosier, he is quite frankly exceeding most of our preseason/summer/spring expectations for him. But it is to point out that CMR's offense and play calling have the plays available for the players to make, the guy distributing the ball just needs to pull the trigger to the right option with the correct timing.

It also needs to be pointed out, as Pete also mentioned on his Monday call with Donno, people asking for more complicated plays, more motions, etc, are simply not understanding what Richt is trying to do. CMR is trying to make the offense play to Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Rosier needs it simple right now, not more complicated.

Sorry, I just feel like I want to scream this until every Canes fan understands that and appreciates a little better just how lucky we are to have this coaching staff, and stops calling for people's jobs. I know it's unrealistic. But keep pointing out, explaining, and repeating the truth guys. Truth is still very powerful, believe it or not.

Go Canes!

actually motions would make it more simple for Rosier. Once you motion a player, it'll make it eaiser for him to read the defense pre snap. Somthing as simple as lining homer out in the slot, then motioning him to the backfield is all it honestly takes. It you want herndon lined up in the slot, start him up inline every once in a while then motion him out. Start with berrios lined up in the backfield with homer, then motion him out, etc. stuff like that doesn't make it more complicated on the QB, it makes it easier to try to tell what the Defense is doing presnap. Post snap that doesn't change anything

Advertisement
Back