Charlie Strong Top Candidate?

If Strong continues to flame out at Texas, he might very well be fired after the season. If that happens, I'd be interested in him as DC - not a HBC.

Guys who completely flame out as HCs and get fired very rarely get HC gigs right after. Look at guys like Chizik, Muschamp, Kiffin, (soon to be) Sark, et al - they all got canned and could only muster coordinator jobs right after.

Watch Bama take him at DC if Smart jumps to an HC gig.

Advertisement
Getting shut out by Iowa State is inexplicable. I dgaf how bare the cupboard is.

All of these "he's not a fit at Texas but he would be at Miami" guys have no explanation for Iowa State. You can't get destroyed by one of the worst teams in FBS in your second year as the HC of Texas. It's inexcusable and should be a Texas sized red flag to anyone still pimping *******.
It mostly the "recruiter" nerds.

Strong has this mystic ability to "recruit" (like Wario)

It's not his ability to recruit. It's his ability to evaluate. Closest I've seen to Butch. Louisville has put 14 players in the pros the last two years. And they aren't big recruits.

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

The fit issues are real at Texas. The majority of the fanbase and boosters were against him from the start, he had no experience recruiting those areas, and he inherited a Cokerized team with no talent. And for all of its hype as a "football power," Texas has been the most overrated, underachieving program in the country for the decades.

Strong would do great here and he is on my short list right under Butch and Herman.

This!!

Getting shut out by Iowa State is inexplicable. I dgaf how bare the cupboard is.

All of these "he's not a fit at Texas but he would be at Miami" guys have no explanation for Iowa State. You can't get destroyed by one of the worst teams in FBS in your second year as the HC of Texas. It's inexcusable and should be a Texas sized red flag to anyone still pimping *******.

It's not his ability to recruit. It's his ability to evaluate. Closest I've seen to Butch. Louisville has put 14 players in the pros the last two years. And they aren't big recruits.

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

The fit issues are real at Texas. The majority of the fanbase and boosters were against him from the start, he had no experience recruiting those areas, and he inherited a Cokerized team with no talent. And for all of its hype as a "football power," Texas has been the most overrated, underachieving program in the country for the decades.

Strong would do great here and he is on my short list right under Butch and Herman.

This!!

My wife went UT, and while I don't claim to be an insider by any means, we have a lot of close friends connected with the program. The Strong hire was a disaster, made by an awful AD who barely lasted two years there. Strong was one of the hottest names in coaching two years ago and Steve Peterson went for the splashy name versus hiring for fit.

Texas is a difficult job for an outsider. Briles has coached in the state EXCLUSIVELY since the late 70s. Patterson has been at TCU for over 15 years. Sumlin is more of the anomaly but his experience at OU and Houston prepared him for the A&M job. I would lump Herman in, but they returned an 8-5 team that won their bowl game. You can't compare an AAC job to the Big 12 or SEC anyways.

Charlie is an SEC guy. Louisville was an easy transition given that he could lock down Kentucky and cherry-pick out of Florida. You can't just "lock down" Texas at UT. He'd be able to walk in to this job and pick up right where he left off at Louisville.

Advertisement

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

This!!

My wife went UT, and while I don't claim to be an insider by any means, we have a lot of close friends connected with the program. The Strong hire was a disaster, made by an awful AD who barely lasted two years there. Strong was one of the hottest names in coaching two years ago and Steve Peterson went for the splashy name versus hiring for fit.

Texas is a difficult job for an outsider. Briles has coached in the state EXCLUSIVELY since the late 70s. Patterson has been at TCU for over 15 years. Sumlin is more of the anomaly but his experience at OU and Houston prepared him for the A&M job. I would lump Herman in, but they returned an 8-5 team that won their bowl game. You can't compare an AAC job to the Big 12 or SEC anyways.

Charlie is an SEC guy. Louisville was an easy transition given that he could lock down Kentucky and cherry-pick out of Florida. You can't just "lock down" Texas at UT. He'd be able to walk in to this job and pick up right where he left off at Louisville.

I have to admit, you and DMoney are doing a good sell job on me for Charlie Strong. Starting to actually get a little excited about the possibility. My only question would be who would he hire as OC and what type of offense would he run?

The uniqueness of Miami is that the players exist in the State of Miami to have an offense like Baylor and a defense like Bama, at the same time. The talent pool in SoFl will allow that to occur if recruited and coached correctly. Miami was built on innovations. I just hope that there is a coach out there that can see that and exploit it.

We know your answer to this GARY PATTERSON!!

I'm guessing that the UT people would love to get rid of ******* and not pay the buyout. Of course, the geniuses running UM would wind up paying to buyout a coach that UT would love to get rid of for nothing.

I can easily see that happen.

The shrewd people at Hecht will pay a $7M buyout for a guy that the Tejas brass is probably ready to buyout of his contract.

i wouldnt mind him as a head coach if he brought in some great cordinators.

Worst line of "logic" ever

i would prefer tom herman, then butch, then if it was to be strong i wouldnt mind. i think he would kill in recruiting and hes proved he can win before taking over that s-storm in texas. how about you pull you face off of butch nuts and stop being so narrow minded.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Name me a single coach who was hired by a major program, completely failed, and then won a national title at another major program.

I'll wait.........

DeVante Parker- 3*
Calvin Pryor- 3*
Preston Brown- 3*
Marcus Smith- 3*
Lorenzo Maudlin- 3*
John Miller- 3*
Jamon Brown- 3*
Charles Gaines - 3*
Bryant Dubose- 3*

This!!

I have to admit, you and DMoney are doing a good sell job on me for Charlie Strong. Starting to actually get a little excited about the possibility. My only question would be who would he hire as OC and what type of offense would he run?

He would hire someone and then demote them. Happened at UL and UT.
He would run a slow offense to protect his D
Most likely a ****** offense unless he has a 1st round QB on it. And then still nothing special
He would still lose games he should win because he doesn't take advantage of his talent advantage on offense.

Also, dead at no talent at Texas. Mack Brown, who was a complete failure at the end, was able to win 9 and 8 games his last 2 years.

Name me a single coach who was hired by a major program, completely failed, and then won a national title at another major program.

I'll wait.........

how many national titles do any of the coaches in contention have? ill wait.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Advertisement
I don't think people realize that we can't afford to take another risk....the consensus on Strong is that what's happening at Texas is a fluke and that he is a great coach.

Well what if that is not the case? What if he sucks here..then what? You pay him a 3 year 4 million dollar contract, and we are toast. We would be financially ruined, and one more bad hire could leave the U irrelevant forever.

We cannot afford the risk, make the safe and cheap hire in Butch Davis. Trust the man who has already done amazing things for this program and let him build a staff of hungry pitbulls that will do whatever it takes to win a championship...please just BBB.

i would prefer tom herman, then butch, then if it was to be strong i wouldnt mind. i think he would kill in recruiting and hes proved he can win before taking over that s-storm in texas. how about you pull you face off of butch nuts and stop being so narrow minded.

****-storm in Texas? What do you call Iowa State, then? Also, by your logic, why do we need to hire any new head coach at all? Everything is solved by hiring "some great coordinators" right? Just like Shannon only needed a better offensive coordinator. Just like Golden only needed a new defensive coordinator.

You are probably the same type of dope who made excuses for Shannon (everyone knows you slurped Golden til the very end). "But but Shannon walked into a **** storm!!! He inherited a team that had the punter playing WR!!!"

Last edited:

****-storm in Texas? What do you call Iowa State, then? Also, by your logic, why do we need to hire any new head coach at all? Everything is solved by hiring "some great coordinators" right? Just like Shannon only needed a better offensive coordinator. Just like Golden only needed a new defensive coordinator.

You are probably the same type of dope who made excuses for Shannon (everyone knows you slurped Golden til the very end). "But but Shannon walked into a **** storm!!! He inherited a team that had the punter playing WR!!!"

please show me when i directly supported golden. ive always said i support the program. I never liked golden i just didnt hate on him every single day starting 20 threads a day in negativity because it only hurts recruiting among other things. but even though i just typed that and you somewhat read that. you will still keep up with the golden ish cause you are narrow minded. Just like you got your tiny brain locked in on butch's nuts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back