Character

Instead of starting a thread:

Anyone see the Last Dance tonight? If so, you can’t f’ing tell me JT4 had more issues then Dennis Rodman. Phil Jackson personifies what coaching and development is, even how he had to deal w MJ’s diva personality of always wanting the ball.

That’s coaching.
LMFAO at anyone not watching. I’m rewatching. Great point

Advertisement
Dmoney with all due respect you forgot to mention skill set plays a major role. The players mentioned just are not any good.

Fvck that BS.....if you happy with high character not having a pick to the 4th round go root some other school......you have become happy with mediocrity. Tired of losing and hear people talk about high character BS.

Anyone see the Last Dance tonight? If so, you can’t f’ing tell me JT4 had more issues then Dennis Rodman. Phil Jackson personifies what coaching and development is, even how he had to deal w MJ’s diva personality of always wanting the ball.

That’s coaching.

Scorching hot take here: Manny will never be Phil Jackson (in terms of coaching and development...not even talking championships)

Advertisement
King quit on his team after 3 games last season. It literally ruined their season. You won’t say anything about that though right?

Didnt he also lead a HS QB camp days after his father died?

I understand your point but I wont hold it against him for making the best choice for him and his future. He salvaged his last season to give himself the best opportunity to accomplish his goal of making it to the NFL. Even if he choose not to attend UM, he made the right choice!

I agree with the overall sentiment and have been tooting the character horn for 25 years on these boards. Character in football is a HUGE factor. In fact, it's part of the reason Booch David has been the best evaluator in history. He always said that if he had to choose between a slightly better athlete with bad character or a slightly lesser athlete with great character, he's picking the latter.

I don't agree with 5 because any transfer is technically a "quitter." There are good transfers with good character. You just have to be a better evaluator.

Again, it all comes down to evaluation, and character is a huge component in the evaluation process. The rummies of CIS just see stars or 40 times, and that's all they care about.
I agree but it seems our old character guy use to run faster too. JJ dance the two step more with players than Butch having slightly different rules for certain players. I've never seen a team like Butch put together. Hall of Fame talent built on high character frames under the watchful eyes of probation and hateful NCAA. I have trouble remembering many if any trouble players on his teams and the players he left behind. It was truly unbelievable. The only thing more unbelievable is that the administration continues to refuse to re-hire him. Howard had NCAA violations, JJ had scandals. Denis a near death that Butch managed, and Coker, well everyone remembers that one. Golden and Mark had to dismiss several of most talented players. Butch was clean and produced greatest team ever.

Advertisement
Character matters. Our top three character guys were our first three picks this weekend. Jeff Thomas and Trevon Hill still haven’t found a team.

We were excited at the time, but in retrospect, the culture was poisoned when Manny did the following:

1) Convinced Jarren to stay;
2) Signed an OC with the idea that he would “fix” Jarren and the other QBs;
3) Begged Jeff to come back;
4) Signed Hill after he got kicked out of another program;
5) Signed Tate after he quit another program; and
5) Tweet bragged about all of the above.

We need to learn our lesson going forward. There are no short-cuts. The only way to build a culture is to be careful and consistent about who you let in the building. That is the secret at Clemson.

Just wanna say, this is a good dose of what everyone needed to hear. Great perspective OG

Anyone see the Last Dance tonight? If so, you can’t f’ing tell me JT4 had more issues than Dennis Rodman. Phil Jackson personifies what coaching and development is, even how he had to deal w MJ’s diva personality of always wanting the ball.

That’s coaching.
Problems yes but Rodman gave it his all on the court

Advertisement

Anyone see the Last Dance tonight? If so, you can’t f’ing tell me JT4 had more issues than Dennis Rodman. Phil Jackson personifies what coaching and development is, even how he had to deal w MJ’s diva personality of always wanting the ball.

That’s coaching.

I mean, did you really watch it?

Rodman was one of the hardest working players in the league, studied and knew the game as well as anyone not named Michael Jordan, had cardio for days.

I'm not going to trash Jeff Thomas...but his issues are not Rodman's issues. Rodman's issues are not basketball related...not even a little bit. Jeff Thomas', among all of his personal issues, has plenty of football issues, too.

Yeah, we never had a coach that got the best out of him, but 32 staffs weren't beating down his door to get a crack at all of this unfulfilled All-Pro potential that he has.

Maybe...just maybe, Jeff Thomas isn't as good as we thought he was at one point and what potential he does have isn't worth fulfilling considering the rest of the issues he's got. idk. Low key, kind of tired reading about Jeff Thomas and discussing him. I think the defense and prosecution need to rest on the case of Jeff Thomas at this point...I think his situation is sad more than anything else.

I mean, did you really watch it?

Rodman was one of the hardest working players in the league, studied and knew the game as well as anyone not named Michael Jordan, had cardio for days.

I'm not going to trash Jeff Thomas...but his issues are not Rodman's issues. Rodman's issues are not basketball related...not even a little bit. Jeff Thomas', among all of his personal issues, has plenty of football issues, too.

Yeah, we never had a coach that got the best out of him, but 32 staffs weren't beating down his door to get a crack at all of this unfulfilled All-Pro potential that he has.

Maybe...just maybe, Jeff Thomas isn't as good as we thought he was at one point and what potential he does have isn't worth fulfilling considering the rest of the issues he's got. idk. Low key, kind of tired reading about Jeff Thomas and discussing him. I think the defense and prosecution need to rest on the case of Jeff Thomas at this point...I think his situation is sad more than anything else.

The Worm is definitely one of the hardest working players, BUT he needed the right coach to get it out of him. Chuck was that right coach. Phil was that right coach.

Let’s take JT out of this discussion for a second; how many players have this fan base thrown under the bus while giving coaching staffs passes? Randy & his staff didn’t get a pass, yet Golden, Richt, and now Diaz have skated b/c they get in front of the media and excuse EVERY single **** poor performance by regurgitating the same chit: ‘Players are freelancing, players are not doing their jobs, players are not studying game film, players had to run an extra lap during practice b/c we didn’t see the intensity.....’

My ninja, at a certain point, u gotta own that, b/c maybe u’re helping contributing to the lackadaisical behaviors! When it comes to game day, u called the wrong play, u’re not upset that the refs are making bull chit calls, u’re not getting in player A’s face for freelancing, u’re handing out MVP awards after a loss, u’re inviting ice cream trucks to practice.....etc, etc.

It’s a moot point, b/c at the end of the day we don’t know what JT4 could’ve been here. Maybe he’s not that good, or maybe if he had real coaching his potential could’ve been unlocked like The Worm. We will never know.

Advertisement
Character matters. Our top three character guys were our first three picks this weekend. Jeff Thomas and Trevon Hill still haven’t found a team.

We were excited at the time, but in retrospect, the culture was poisoned when Manny did the following:

1) Convinced Jarren to stay;
2) Signed an OC with the idea that he would “fix” Jarren and the other QBs;
3) Begged Jeff to come back;
4) Signed Hill after he got kicked out of another program;
5) Signed Tate after he quit another program; and
6) Tweet bragged about all of the above.

We need to learn our lesson going forward. There are no short-cuts. The only way to build a culture is to be careful and consistent about who you let in the building. That is the secret at Clemson.
The culture was poisoned when we let an assistant takeover the program. It happened once and we did not learn. It has happened again, soak-rinse-repeat.

Except it wasn't. Unless you thought Miami was winning a national championship, and if that's the case, I gotta get your weed guy's # ASAP.
When was the season ruined then big shot? With the schedule Miami had, I expected a pretty good season before and even after the Florida game. But after Unc, I knew there was no chance for them to recover from that and obviously they never did.

Advertisement
Back