Championship Drive Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're either cutting the cord or you aren't and tell me that most dudes 10 years ago or more would be willing to do so if it meant losing ESPN.

And cord-cutting causes every traditional carriage network to lose subscribers.

So why is this much hay being made about ESPN?

Ironically, because of the political agenda of old white men and networks like Fox Sports who want ESPN to fail.

Advertisement
Curt Schilling gets fired because he voiced his opinion on Twitter about the transgender bathroom law in NC.

No he didn't.

He got fired for a disgusting caricature of people that ESPN might consider as part of their audience (and certainly a group of people that Disney doesn't want to alienate).

When it agrees with you it's just an "opinion" but when it doesn't agree with you it's ****.

Yes...he did. I didn't voice an opinion one way or the other about whether or not Schilling should have been fired for what he put on his twitter account so what makes you think I agree with it. I was stating that if your opinion leans right the consequences are obviously more severe than if you are left leaning in your political views. That in my mind is hypocritical. You made the assumption that Schilling's was an opinion that I agreed with. You don't know me so don't pretend that you know my political views and don't preach to me about hypocrisy.

How is it that you are not hypocritical to say that Jemele Hill said something on Twitter and not on air so it shouldn't affect my viewing habits. Schilling puts something on Twitter that he didn't discuss on air and your stance is that it was a "disgusting caricature" and that it could potentially alienate some of ESPN or Disney's audience so his firing was justified. Are you somehow insinuating that both Disney and ESPN should be ok with alienating people with conservative viewpoints? It seems as though you are ok with Schilling getting fired because you don't agree with his "opinion".

Bottomline is that the network has become expendable for a lot of people (disirregardless of reason) where it was sacred in the past.

And the largest cohort of cord-cutters are millennials who aren't a part of that "10 year ago dude" group.

You're just flailing to come up with a narrative even though this has the simplest explanation.

Yes...he did.

No he didn't.

He didn't say: "My opinion is that transgender people shouldn't be able to use the bathroom of their gender identity."

He posted a picture of a disgusting fat man in drag and said something like "This shouldn't be allowed!"

I wonder why Disney didn't want to employ this man.

Crazy, right?

I was stating that if your opinion leans right the consequences are obviously more severe than if you are left leaning in your political views.

You have no evidence for this except your misreading of the Schilling situation.

I would venture to say that if it is indeed true (again, no evidence) it's because liberal opinions tend to be inclusive and conservative ones tend to be vile caricatures that are exclusive.

This is also not very difficult to understand.

Advertisement
How is it that you are not hypocritical to say that Jemele Hill said something on Twitter and not on air so it shouldn't affect my viewing habits. Schilling puts something on Twitter that he didn't discuss on air and your stance is that it was a "disgusting caricature" and that it could potentially alienate some of ESPN or Disney's audience so his firing was justified.

Because they didn't commit the same act.

You now don't seem to even know what hypocrisy means.

Advertisement
What are you even talking about? She's an ESPN employee now.

She was hired because of her writing.

Her background is in economics. She doesn't do opinion stuff.

You really are an insufferable douche. Next you'll claim that Around The Horn is a show devoid of opinion-giving and that she was on there talking about Keynesian Economics in relation to the NFL. See ya later. Probably the next time you get all riled up about Shalala.

1490955102984.jpg

Are you somehow insinuating that both Disney and ESPN should be ok with alienating people with conservative viewpoints?

No, again. You don't even have a surface understanding of this issue.

It isn't a conservative vs. liberal thing.

It's an opinion vs. a vile opinion thing.

Curt Schilling didn't get fired for posting a conservative opinion.

Once you finally come to grips with that then you'll understand the issue. Until then you'll keep getting it wrong.

I guarantee that Tad Footeball won't be banned for that either (and I don't want him to be).

He's no threat to anybody and is probably boys with a moderator or two.

Advertisement
You get such minor details wrong about things in such a rush to take these big stances or just be argumentative that you come off as a pompous ill-informed tool.

What details have I gotten wrong?

In this very thread you've claimed that technology and cord-cutting is a cop-out (when it's the primary reason for falling subscribers) and that since HBO and Showtime are not making excuses then ESPN shouldn't (when the former are pay channels).

I'm actually waiting for you to get a single detail right.

Again, you can't even acknowledge that you're wrong about Kimes. I definitely can't hold your limited cognitive dissonance abilities liable for failing to understand that the ONLY point I'm making is that ESPN has lost enough luster to make people even PAUSE about the ramifications of losing it in the rampant cord cutting that you claim. But you're off pn some tirade saying we're in the golden age of sports tv. Shouldn't you be off watching Ol' Skip Bayless argue about Tim Tebow?

Again, you can't even acknowledge that you're wrong about Kimes.

What was I wrong about?

Mina Kimes is an investigative journalist who has a background in economics.

She's not a sports opinion person.

But because she has appeared on Around the Horn before all of that gets tossed out?

I guarantee that Tad Footeball won't be banned for that either (and I don't want him to be).

He's no threat to anybody and is probably boys with a moderator or two.

Passive aggressive much? I welcome any punitive action for not insulting you but accurately assessing your existence and assigning an appropriate moniker. Respond how you wish. I'm done participating in worthless banter that serves no purpose in this thread.

Advertisement
I definitely can't hold your limited cognitive dissonance abilities liable for failing to understand that the ONLY point I'm making is that ESPN has lost enough luster to make people even PAUSE about the ramifications of losing it in the rampant cord cutting that you claim.

But millennials and Gen Y'ers are cutting the cord.

Not old 60-yard-old white men that might fit your narrative.

Again, this is an agenda being pushed by people with skin in the game. They want to destroy ESPN. Period.

Of course cord cutting has had an impact on ESPN cable viewership, but to deny the possibility that ESPN’s strongly perceived increased political slant has something to do with lost viewership, especially when it comes to its non-sports programming shows, is just not realistic.

Are you somehow insinuating that both Disney and ESPN should be ok with alienating people with conservative viewpoints?

No, again. You don't even have a surface understanding of this issue.

It isn't a conservative vs. liberal thing.

It's an opinion vs. a vile opinion thing.

Curt Schilling didn't get fired for posting a conservative opinion.

Once you finally come to grips with that then you'll understand the issue. Until then you'll keep getting it wrong.

So, do you consider calling the sitting President of the United States a white supremacist to be an opinion or vile opinion? Just curious to hear the logic behind how you characterize a view.

Yes...he did.

No he didn't.

He didn't say: "My opinion is that transgender people shouldn't be able to use the bathroom of their gender identity."

He posted a picture of a disgusting fat man in drag and said something like "This shouldn't be allowed!"

I wonder why Disney didn't want to employ this man.

Crazy, right?

So are you objecting to the fact that the person on the picture was a "disgusting fat man" or that it said "this shouldn't be allowed"? If the guy had six-pack abs would you have been ok with it? Does Disney have a body shaming issue?

What are your thoughts on Disney employing the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson? Should they be concerned that on "Ballers" he is constantly sleeping around with random woman, popping pain pills, and dropping the f-bomb in every other scene? How do you think that the people that you claim Disney doesn't want to alienate feel about that? They are probably ok with it I suppose because Dwayne Johnson is in really good shape.

Crazy right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back