Championship Drive Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah Spain is the WORST too. She shouldn't be in the same sentence as Kolber and Cohn. And it's not an aversion to female opinion givers either as I personally find Mina Kimes to be more intelligent and consistent and she's certainly no right winger.

Mina Kimes is also somebody who generally doesn't comment on sports. She came from CNBC and was a business reporter.

But what is this thing about the political leanings of sports journalists? Who cares?

Sports is basically made up of African-American former players, some women and journalists (obviously).

All are liberal-leaning cohorts.

So basically what you're saying is that you'll never be happy with ESPN because their employees don't agree with you politically.

That's silly.

Advertisement
Sarah Spain is the WORST too. She shouldn't be in the same sentence as Kolber and Cohn. And it's not an aversion to female opinion givers either as I personally find Mina Kimes to be more intelligent and consistent and she's certainly no right winger.

Mina Kimes is also somebody who generally doesn't comment on sports. She came from CNBC and was a business reporter.

But what is this thing about the political leanings of sports journalists? Who cares?

Sports is basically made up of African-American former players, some women and journalists (obviously).

So basically what you're saying is that you'll never be happy with ESPN because their employees don't agree with you politically.

That's silly.

I can only speak for myself but I don't watch sports because I want to hear about the sportscasters political views...I watch to get away from that ****. I don't care at all about their race, gender, or sexual orientation...I just want to watch sports.

Regarding ESPN, I try to stay away from it because they bring politics into it by the hypocritical way they handle their employees political comments. Curt Schilling gets fired because he voiced his opinion on Twitter about the transgender bathroom law in NC. Linda Cohn was suspended for 3 or 4 months for suggesting that ESPN viewership may be declining due the company's left leaning policies. Jemele Hill gets nothing for claiming that the president is a racist who only surrounds himself with white supremacists but then gets hit with a two week suspension because she suggested that people boycott the Cowboys advertisers who happen to be some of the same advertisers of ESPN. Way too much hypocrisy and not enough consistency depending on which way you lean politically for my liking.

That's silly.

Specific to this:

Kimes is now 100% sports and a regular on Lebatard's show and offers many opinions as his show is almost more about social issues than sports at times.

Spain also appears across multiple platforms and will jump on any soapbox she can while cultivating some faux "Chicago cool chick/one of the guys" persona. This is all for not though when she'll die on the mountain of ranting against Floyd Mayweather in relation to women but then when called out for giving Aroldis Chapman a pass when he won a World Series for her Cubs her response is - "That's different. I support the team not individual players".

I can only speak for myself but I don't watch sports because I want to hear about the sportscasters political views...I watch to get away from that ****. I don't care at all about their race, gender, or sexual orientation...I just want to watch sports.

But that's my question.

When does this happen?

Jamele Hill was suspended for something she posted on Twitter. Not for anything she said on ESPN.

The only flaw in this argument that eSECpn apologists (not saying you're one) and company men like Lebatard make is that there was a time when any redblooded American man would've NEVER even considered giving up a cable package if it meant losing eSECpn. Now people will.

But even if that's true it still doesn't support the politics narrative.

I think all it proves is that middle-aged (mostly) white men are obsessed with their own version of political correctness to the point that they will sabotage their own entertainment for silly reasons.

They're just stubborn old men basically.

It still speaks to the overall quality of the product having been diminished. For some people it might be politics based. For others it might be the "Embrace Debate" philosophy. I'm just saying that it's a copout to blame technology and cord cutting for having a product this is so diminished that people won't hesitate to sacrifice it. You don't hear HBO or even Showtime blaming technology.

Advertisement
Curt Schilling gets fired because he voiced his opinion on Twitter about the transgender bathroom law in NC.

No he didn't.

He got fired for a disgusting caricature of people that ESPN might consider as part of their audience (and certainly a group of people that Disney doesn't want to alienate).

When it agrees with you it's just an "opinion" but when it doesn't agree with you it's ****.

Way too much hypocrisy and not enough consistency depending on which way you lean politically for my liking.

But you're a hypocrite too.

You just don't like that ESPN personalities don't agree with you. If they did then you wouldn't care.

Specific to this:

Kimes is now 100% sports and a regular on Lebatard's show and offers many opinions as his show is almost more about social issues than sports at times.

La Batard has her on his show precisely because she's not a sports person. That's his schtick.

You just seconded that.

Advertisement
Schilling was fired because he violated company policy and continued to do so after he was told to stop. Same reason why Hill was just suspended.

You don't hear HBO or even Showtime blaming technology.

Those are pay channels. They aren't affected by regular cord-cutting like standard carriage channels are.

And you better believe that HBO is pushing their standalone streaming service a ton. It's their lifeline in this new era.

Advertisement
I'm just saying that it's a copout to blame technology and cord cutting for having a product this is so diminished that people won't hesitate to sacrifice it.

It's not a copout. It's just the truth.

There's a huge difference in which generations you talk about in regards to cord cutting. Baby boomers and Gen X'ers are way less likely to cord cut than Millennials. The bigger issue with ESPN besides cord-cutting comes from their position of having to be journalists/advertisers. For example, nobody on ESPN talks about hockey because ESPN doesn't have TV deals with ESPN which ultimately takes away from their journalistic integrity.

Also social issues and sports are incredibly intertwined and will be for a long time, that's not ESPN's fault. That's just the nature of athletes being able to have voices on what they believe in, **** this goes all the way back to Jesse Owens and Muhammad Ali.

There's a huge difference in which generations you talk about in regards to cord cutting. Baby boomers and Gen X'ers are way less likely to cord cut than Millennials.

This is a good point.

Old conservative man: "People are cord-cutting because of ESPN's politics!"

Yet Millennials are the largest cord-cutting cohort and they're largely liberal.

It's all about their agenda.

Specific to this:

La Batard has her on his show precisely because she's not a sports person. That's his schtick.

You just seconded that.

What are you even talking about? She's an ESPN employee now. She just did a long piece on Aaron Rodgers too. You get such minor details wrong about things in such a rush to take these big stances or just be argumentative that you come off as a pompous ill-informed tool. Kinda like your previous incarnation as CaneInHeelCountry.

Advertisement
You don't hear HBO or even Showtime blaming technology.

Those are pay channels. They aren't affected by regular cord-cutting like standard carriage channels are.

And you better believe that HBO is pushing their standalone streaming service a ton. It's their lifeline in this new era.

Again, what are you talking about? As many or more people buy the pay channels in bundles than don't. You're either cutting the cord or you aren't and tell me that most dudes 10 years ago or more would be willing to do so if it meant losing ESPN. Bottomline is that the network has become expendable for a lot of people (disirregardless of reason) where it was sacred in the past.

You get such minor details wrong about things in such a rush to take these big stances or just be argumentative that you come off as a pompous ill-informed tool.

What details have I gotten wrong?

In this very thread you've claimed that technology and cord-cutting is a cop-out (when it's the primary reason for falling subscribers) and that since HBO and Showtime are not making excuses then ESPN shouldn't (when the former are pay channels).

I'm actually waiting for you to get a single detail right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back