CFP Committee Adopts 5 + 7 format

Advertisement
No - 5 highest ranked conf champs...
includes all confs...like aac, mw, cusa, etc..
so say Pitt wins the acc title at 8-4 but is ranked 13th....they dont get in.
8-4 Pitt would get in over the 12-1 team... Yes
Assuming ACC is a top 5 conference.. If Liberty goes 13-0 and wins conference and is ranked 10th, then no Pitt.

That 12-1 team would probably get in as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No - 5 highest ranked conf champs...
includes all confs...like aac, mw, cusa, etc..
so say Pitt wins the acc title at 8-4 but is ranked 13th....they dont get in assuming there are 4 other higher ranked conf champs.
Right, but this is also why a lot of conferences are ditching the division format and going with the top 2 teams by winning percentage. ACC and Big12 hav done it, SEC is doing it. I would expect B1G to follow suit. Those scenarios ‘likely’ shouldn’t exist anymore. The conferences got wind of and probably had input on it, prior to this decision so they adjust their qualifying criteria for conference titles.

Advertisement
I feel like it might be time to get rid of the conference championship games
How? With the size of conferences nowadays, there is a pretty strong likelihood that the teams which make the conference championship games haven't played each other during the regular season. Then, you have to hope they play a similar conference schedule.

Imagine Miami having to play Clemson and FSU in a season and finish 7-1 in conference and 11-1 overall, but due to the luck of the schedule, Duke wins the ACC because they doesn't play Miami, Clemson, or FSU in the regular season and finish 12-0 with 4 Group of 5 OOC wins?

What I cannot seem to wrap my head around is how they think 3 games in a row at a neutral site is a good idea. For the teams playing conference championship games and finishing in the top 4, they're ending the season with 4 consecutive neutral site games. Who on Earth is following their team around like that? Who is going to fill these stadiums? It's going to kill the vibe of these games.

And bowl games will be dead in 5 years. Nobody is going to play in them. Teams will start opting out and that will be the end.

Advertisement
At least the NY's games will mean something (provided the players don't sit out like pussies) again.

One thing for sure. The month of November is going to be epic. With 7 spots up for grabs for teams that didn’t win their conference, you’ll have double digit teams with a realistic shot of getting in the playoff.

Advertisement
Back