CB on the Market

Advertisement
Blake Ayles gave us more as a transfer than Mike Williams or Jack Heaps.

Bring this dude Echols in if he can play at all because we got nothing to lose. There are open spots.

Maybe Echols turns out to be JAG and never even shines as bright as Mike Williams ever did (which wasn't bright). At the very least it gives the coaches an experienced (and intelligent) extra body in the defensive backfield. They're only an injury or two away from having to shuffle people to different positions. With the amount of teams using 4 and 5 receivers on almost every play, you've got to have corner depth. Worst case scenario, he bombs and never sees the field. He's already graduated so it's not like you'd be losing a scholarship position after his one season here anyway.

Well said. I'd rather have some depth with a 1 year rental player that may be average but knows Diaz's system than have to resort to shuffling kids from position to position. It's obviously exacerbated by the previous era but I'm extremely adverse to ANY confusion on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe Echols turns out to be JAG and never even shines as bright as Mike Williams ever did (which wasn't bright). At the very least it gives the coaches an experienced (and intelligent) extra body in the defensive backfield. They're only an injury or two away from having to shuffle people to different positions. With the amount of teams using 4 and 5 receivers on almost every play, you've got to have corner depth. Worst case scenario, he bombs and never sees the field. He's already graduated so it's not like you'd be losing a scholarship position after his one season here anyway.

Exactly. There's no downside to this as his scholarship comes off the books after this season anyway.

Advertisement
Didn't we get randy shannon's son in the same way? He even started.

And the punter from Cincinnati.

4 star from DeSoto, TX

Bryson Echols, Texas, Cornerback

"A fourth-year cornerback who has played in 26 career games with one start ... member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2013) ... an All-American and two time all-state selection in high school ... also a member of ESPNU’s top 150 national prospects as a senior."

Texas Longhorns Athletics - Bryson Echols - 2015 Football

Meh...

LOL, do you have a better idea for a rent-a-DB?

If you read my second post in this thread, you would see that I'm in agreement with bringing him on and letting him compete with our current CBs.

I said "meh" because he's had an underwhelming career for being a 4 star CB from Texas.

Tyrek Cole is still not at any school. He's still going through some issues but if they were willing to get him focused and give him a chance. Idk much about his high school career but he was heavily recruited at one point. He could add some depth and hunger bc at this point I'm sure he feels he has ruined any chances.

Advertisement
Tyrek Cole is still not at any school. He's still going through some issues but if they were willing to get him focused and give him a chance. Idk much about his high school career but he was heavily recruited at one point. He could add some depth and hunger bc at this point I'm sure he feels he has ruined any chances.

He was arrested for domestic battery in Tallahassee back in Oct 2015 for a 2nd charge. He is done at this point considering he was waiting on trial for his first offense from back in WV.

Link to article
Ex-Miramar CB Tyrek Cole due in court in domestic abuse case - Sun Sentinel

If there are cornerbacks out there who can contribute to this team next year, we should be after them. It sounds like we are going after JC Jackson so it would stand to reason that if we can have a guy who can possibly provide some depth for a year until we can re-stock the shelves that we would be in contact.

Bring him in, there's nothing to lose. If he plays, he plays, if he doesn't have what it takes oh well, he doesn't hamper our scholarship #'s for next year's class. If nothing else he's there if something catastrophic happens.

Advertisement
Back