CB on the Market

Advertisement
Advertisement
Career backup but is a very good, smart kid. Has good speed. But lost PT to some younger guys last year. I think you give him a look. His last go.

Is he any good?

Does it matter? Bring him in for a year. We need bodies, and he won't take up a spot next year.

I wouldn't mind bringing him on to let him compete...I just don't want another Michael Williams situation

Worst case scenario is he plays on special teams and we can redshirt one of the incoming freshman DB's. Best case is he clicks with a new coaching staff and starts. This is really a no-brainer going after this kid.

Advertisement
My heart says "no mo Jake Heaps Mike Williams types" but my head says take the kid.

Didn't Kaaya credit Heaps with helping prepare week in week out?

Like others have said, he will only be on the team 1 season and if he could play for Charlie Strong for 2 years then I'm sure he could be an asset to us.

Diaz/Banda were the DC and Grad Asst when he signed with UT.

Is he any good?

Does it matter? Bring him in for a year. We need bodies, and he won't take up a spot next year.

I wouldn't mind bringing him on to let him compete...I just don't want another Michael Williams situation

it absolutely is a "Michael Williams situation." but beggars can't be choosers. If there's any chance the kid can contribute then you sign him before someone else does.

Advertisement
My heart says "no mo Jake Heaps Mike Williams types" but my head says take the kid.

Jake Heaps played a role in getting Kaaya ready for games and relaying in the plays. Mike Williams if I recall started every game (yes out of necessity but in this case CB depth is also necessity). MW wasn't a super star but he was a solid contributor in a position of dire need.

Advertisement

What was the problem with Heaps?

I won't tell you who to root for. Here's the career summary on ole Jakey Bones from UM.

"Made Miami debut against FAMU, finishing 5-for-8 with 41 passing yards...Long pass was 17 yards...Went 0-for-2 in limited snaps against Arkansas State...Completed one pass for 10 yards in limited action against North Carolina."

Jake Heaps played a role in getting Kaaya ready for games and relaying in the plays. Mike Williams if I recall started every game (yes out of necessity but in this case CB depth is also necessity). MW wasn't a super star but he was a solid contributor in a position of dire need.

UM neglects to mention Heaps' critical help in developing Kaaya. But yeah, Williams is somewhat different. Less than 30 tackles as a starter, with 21 over his final 11 games. No picks. His summary is essentially "Existed on the field during regulation". But again, I won't tell you who to cheer for or defend. I'm sure there are dozens of latent Heaps and Williams supporters just waiting for this moment to come to the surface.

And I still want Echols.

Maybe Echols turns out to be JAG and never even shines as bright as Mike Williams ever did (which wasn't bright). At the very least it gives the coaches an experienced (and intelligent) extra body in the defensive backfield. They're only an injury or two away from having to shuffle people to different positions. With the amount of teams using 4 and 5 receivers on almost every play, you've got to have corner depth. Worst case scenario, he bombs and never sees the field. He's already graduated so it's not like you'd be losing a scholarship position after his one season here anyway.

Advertisement
Back