Cavazos details recent trip to UM, connection to Diaz

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 IMG Academy 4-star CB Lejond Cavazos came down to the South Florida area to take part in the Opening Miami this past weekend and decided to get some recruiting in while he was at it. After making his first trip to the University of Miami’s campus the day before, Cavazos put on a standout performance at the camp that included winning Fastest Man with a 4.42 40 and the MVP for top overall SPARQ score, and he did it all while wearing green shorts emblazoned with "The U" logo. The story behind the gear?

“Bought ‘em. Just for this trip,” Cavazos said of the shorts. “They fit good.”

Of course, the real story of the weekend was Cavazos getting to experience Coral Gables for the first time, which he considered “perfect”.

“It was amazing. That was by far one of my favorite visits,” Cavazos said of Miami. “The campus was beautiful, beautiful women everywhere. I went to dinner at Prime 112, I saw like 3 famous people. So just knowing all the connections you can get in Miami is amazing, and it’s great weather all the time. People call it a Paradise and it’s definitely that. It was perfect really: a great vibe, a great family feeling.”

While it’s true the visit was made possible because Cavazos was already in the proximity for the camp, there is another connection that made the trip to UM happen: Cavazos’ father and UM head coach Manny Diaz apparently go way back.

“My dad has known Manny Diaz for 25 years so it’s just a great connection to have,” Cavazos said. “It definitely improves the trust, my dad is very connected.”

Does Cavazos’ personal connection to Diaz make a big impact on his thinking process?

“It does, but it doesn’t. At the end of the day, your dad knowing people can only get you so far,” Cavazos said. “It’s my decision and he’ll support me wherever I go. I know my family will be behind me whatever decision I make.”

Cavazos spent a lot of time during the trip talking to CB coach Mike Rumph, who made clear to the 4-star prospect that although they want him at corner, they simply want him on the roster no matter where he ultimately ends up.

“They like me at corner,” Cavazos said. “Coach Rumph told me it doesn’t matter what I play, that they want me regardless, but he definitely would want me for corner.”

As a result of the trip, it appears the Canes got Cavazos’ attention and the 6’1” 190 pound prospect doesn’t rule out returning to UM for an official visit when it comes time.

“They definitely made an impression,” Cavazos said. “I might have to take an official visit there, I’m not sure, but they’re definitely in the mix to be in my top 5.”

In terms of leaders, Cavazos is hesitant to list any, and would rather just give everyone a chance to recruit him after recently decommitting from Ohio State due to the head coaching change in Columbus. Still, he says there are a few programs beginning to stand out, and that he will start narrowing things down over the summer.

“I don’t consider it a top group but there’s some schools standing out to me like LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Miami, Florida,” Cavazos said. “I’ve been giving everybody an equal opportunity to recruit me again since I’ve opened my recruitment back up. I might release a top 5 or 6 come summer, and then whenever my decision is ready to be made, I’ll announce it.”

Cavazos also recently visited Gainesville to check out the Florida Gators, but found it hard to compare with Miami since it wasn’t as personal as his trip to Coral Gables. He plans on focusing on training for the rest of spring and has no other visits set for the foreseeable future.

“I went to Florida two weeks ago, but it was like a school trip, so I didn’t get the full experience like at Miami,” Cavazos said. “I may go back again, but after my Miami visit, I’m just training right now.”

After missing the majority of his junior season, Cavazos believes he is positioned to really break out as a senior at IMG and is using this off-season to make sure he is 100% prepared.

“I’m definitely ready for senior year because this past season I broke my hip in game 4, so it’s about to get hectic, I promise.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
“My dad has known Manny Diaz for 25 years so it’s just a great connection to have,” Cavazos said. “It definitely improves the trust, my dad is very connected.”

Pretty big quote. Is his dad a coach?

His dad used to coach at Dallas Carter in the 90s and now runs a recruiting service where he's basically a type of mentor to HS athletes looking to be recruited. He's known many coaches for a long time, not just Manny. When Lejond committed to OSU, one of the common stories was it was in part due to CJ's relationship with Urban.

Sounds like his dad knew manny from fsu? That is about 25 years back for manny.

Advertisement
“It was amazing. That was by far one of my favorite visits,” Cavazos said of Miami. “The campus was beautiful, beautiful women everywhere. I went to dinner at Prime 112, I saw like 3 famous people. So just knowing all the connections you can get in Miami is amazing, and it’s great weather all the time. People call it a Paradise and it’s definitely that. It was perfect really: a great vibe, a great family feeling.”
Kid fits UM perfectly. Plus family relationship. They need not to mess up this recruitment.

His dad has his own recruiting advising company since the 90’s. Maybe manny or some of the teams he’s been on recruited some of his kids.

Kid fits UM perfectly. Plus family relationship. They need not to mess up this recruitment.

They most certainly will not. His dad is a professional and knows the game as well as any HS recruit's family you'll ever find. There will be no pressure from the family on the kid to go anywhere. This will be completely Lejond's decision and he's going to truly try to find the best situation for him.

Advertisement
They most certainly will not. His dad is a professional and knows the game as well as any HS recruit's family you'll ever find. There will be no pressure from the family on the kid to go anywhere. This will be completely Lejond's decision and he's going to truly try to find the best situation for him.
My point is our staff has all it can want in its favor here. Family is a positive, mot a negative. Kid likes the scene, not a country boy preferring the sticks. So we need to sell and win here. None of our typical excuses exist here.

My point is our staff has all it can want in its favor here. Family is a positive, mot a negative. Kid likes the scene, not a country boy preferring the sticks. So we need to see and win here. None of our typical excuses exist here.

Exactly. This is a business decision for this kid, nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement
Back