Carey update

If 6 is the number.

4 HS Seniors
1 Grad Transfer PF/C (Immediately Eligibility)
1 Transfer Sit-Out PF/C (Must Sit Out)
Well come next year they have Gak, Mack, Lykes, DJ, Sam, Miller, The Transfer from Oklahoma, Wong, Walker. That’s 9 guys. 2-3 more gives us nice depth and different options off the bench.

Advertisement
Kids are front runners these days. Basketball is a big brand sport. They run to the brands and big names.

Sucks that Miami basketball is in its best place in history with a very good coach, who recruited him harder than any other coach, and we can’t even make his top 3.

I think coach L has a winning record vs. K and Roy.

Well come next year they have Gak, Mack, Lykes, DJ, Sam, Miller, The Transfer from Oklahoma, Wong, Walker. That’s 9 guys. 2-3 more gives us nice depth and different options off the bench.

A few things:

1. Miller isn't worth anything. If the staff wants to continue this charity, that is fine but you can't rely on him. In fact, Gak has already surpassed him on ability and he has played ONLY 3 games.

2. Since Coach L has been here, the following players have transferred out/left or been booted:

- Gilmore
- Palmer
- Lecomte
- Sherman
- Daniels
- Burnett
- J. Kelly
- Muhammad
- Wilson

That is more than ~1.3 ships gone per season. It should be expected, not just at Miami, that kids are going to leave before/during the season.

3. Knowing the above, our goal should be to really bring in 6 (in total). This doesn't mean 6 HS Seniors but bring in 6 players. Maybe redshirt a freshman, expect a transfer or an injury etc.

It's obviously easy to say now but I've found Carey to be a slightly weird kid bordering on being soft. He's obviously a legit baller on the high school level but it'll be interesting to see how he progresses to the next level and the much much bigger stage.

That said, today was still devastating. We can't take these type of misses (especially Walker).

Miami can't put a gun to these kids' heads and MAKE them sign. Things happen, all L can do is make the best case he can, and have some backup options. Frankly, it's time to start going back to the kind of kids that made this program. Get some high end transfers, and develop kids that may not be the pick of the litter. It's becoming more and more obvious that even though Miami wins and is competitive on the national scene, these kids will NEVER consistently consider Miami, even though the program has a ton to offer.

In fairness to Vernon Carey Jr, our ball screen offense does not really fit his game. Vernon needs the ball and he needs multiple touches in the post to be effective. Miami has done a terrible job of developing post players and playing through the post the past few seasons. No disrespect but I am sure Vernon does not want to come to Miami and set ball screens for Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic all game.
This was always my concern when I evaluated Vernon's playing style and Coach L's offense.
Not having Dewan hurt Miami even more because if Dewan was playing, I suspect he would be getting touches in the low post. That would have been used as a recruiting tool to show Vernon that Miami plays through the post when Miami has a legitimate post player.
I could be wrong but that is my observation.

Advertisement
In fairness to Vernon Carey Jr, our ball screen offense does not really fit his game. Vernon needs the ball and he needs multiple touches in the post to be effective. Miami has done a terrible job of developing post players and playing through the post the past few seasons. No disrespect but I am sure Vernon does not want to come to Miami and set ball screens for Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic all game.
This was always my concern when I evaluated Vernon's playing style and Coach L's offense.
Not having Dewan hurt Miami even more because if Dewan was playing, I suspect he would be getting touches in the low post. That would have been used as a recruiting tool to show Vernon that Miami plays through the post when Miami has a legitimate post player.
I could be wrong but that is my observation.
This is a good observation.

Really, our ball screen offense is prone to being boom or bust. That's our identity, and either it works or it doesn't. Against teams that are longer/more athletic that can switch every screen - we don't do well offensively unless someone wins a one-on-one battle. I'd love to see us start rolling in some different offensive sets in the halfcourt, but if it hasn't been instituted by Coach L by now...not sure it will happen.

I think it's an open question whether VCJ really sees himself as a post player. In AAU games, he's noted for hanging around the perimeter. I would guess in his HS games, he played wherever he felt like playing.

Advertisement
This kid is soft and a little weird.....so he'll fit right in at Dook. Jesu Christo, he'll probably even have a great career in today's pu$$ified NBA.

Vern knows this too. That's why he'll tell anybody that asks him that if this kid wasn't adverse to contact and physical violence and played football that he wouldn't have had a choice and would've been forced to be all Cane.

Advertisement
After the attraction of playing for Coach K, here's perhaps the main reason Carey chose Duke. "They see me as a positionless player, they said I can be anywhere on the court. That worked well with me."

Advertisement
Back