Canes we almost missed out on

You could easily be right. Old memories suffer from being old to have them.
Checked to make sure, came in third career start as a red shirt freshman against SDS. Next week Craig came back and beat ND leading to our third NC. We had a pretty good run of QBs!

Advertisement
I remember reading an interview with Hester after signing where he talked about Bobby Bowden ****ed up his pitch and it played in our favor. Bobby kept telling him Miami's depth chart was too loaded and he should come to FSU where he'll get playing time earlier. Hester took it as a slap in the face and said, "If you don't think I'm good enough to play early there, why are you recruiting me?"
It is kind of crazy how few Miami/FSU recruiting battles there have been in recent years. With Norvell pushing his staff away from South Florida there will be less and less. When I first started following recruiting it was a foregone conclusion that if it was a top kid from the area, those would be the only two schools involved for 95% of them.

Surprised no one has mentioned Antone Smith..

Antone was one of the best RB's in the history of the state.. Told the staff he was coming and flipped to FSU on Signing Day.. I think his mother broke down crying at the ceremony..

Another one was LeSean McCoy signing a LOI for Miami out of nowhere..

He didn't qualify, ended up at Prep School with our other RB signee, Graig Cooper... Cooper beat him out at Prep School, McCoy eventually ended up signing with Pitt..

I believe that brother held the singe game passing yards record at Miami until Gino broke it.
Two of the guys we almost missed out on had pretty good careers and happen to be in this photo celebrating the 1989 NC. I was a guest, even though I’m allegedly a Buckeye!
1596037957267.jpeg

Advertisement
Losing Collins sealed Golden's fate. Had he gone here, Alex would have been in Tally the night Duke went down as we were driving. Collins was a beast and at that point nole D was sucking for air. Those fresh legs, speed, and power might have won the game for us, took us to 8-0 and ruined noles' NC. That was THAT recruit who use to come in and make you forget the great he replace(nothing against Duke who is my favorite Cane after The Stork). Golden still suck but beating gator and noles in same year might have started a fire even he could not have put out. Win title that year and Al jumps to NFL immediately and we have change to revive again. Alex Collins, to me, was the single biggest lost recruit we ever had.

Dalvin Cook was another but don’t think we really had a chance

Advertisement
Miami admissions kept a lot of guys out of here. Coker didn't have the guts to have that bs Changed. Ricky Jean Francois would have been here had it not been for Miami's sorry *** admissions dept.
That means HESTER would have been returning that punt v OSU instead of Roscoe. I think HESTER houses that one. **** what could have been.

Hubbard Alexander locked up Mike, no questions asked. Coach Ax was a great Hurricane and a better guy.
Michael Irvin told that story of looking at LSU and Michigan St but Coach Smith kept bring up the Canes. He said he was close to picking Michigan St but Coach Smith knew he was the type of kid that needed to be close to home

Advertisement
Dalvin Cook was another but don’t think we really had a chance
Dalvin might have been better and would have helped a lot but he was still in High School. The timing made Alex most missed. His impact that night could have changed the course of the program. We beat fsu at night in tally with everyone watching us go 8-0 and we would have been BACK. We would not have another chance like that until the ND game in 2017 and our kids cashed in but staff could not hold it together to finish the job over the coming months. That was Mark's MOMENT and he blew it by not having a backup qb for our overachieving baseball player who got us to the ring but could not reach it. Which brings me back to BBB. That sucker always recruited the kid we were going to need.(he blew him moment on the sideline in Washington.)

Michael Irvin told that story of looking at LSU and Michigan St but Coach Smith kept bring up the Canes. He said he was close to picking Michigan St but Coach Smith knew he was the type of kid that needed to be close to home
The family trusted Coach Ax and he and Mike became inseparable Even thru the Dallas years. People who knew Hubbard Alexander call him One of the great teachers and best people ever to come through UM

Advertisement
Have a relative in football ops in Columbus. Does this look like a UM Guy of a Buckeye? Bernie is from my hometown, G is family.
View attachment 124295
Bernie is from my hometown is good enough. Kosar is the coolest I have even known. You could ice your beer on his arm. I was well connected during Howard's day and you knew Kosar was the man from the first moment. Howard redhirted him for year to mature physical -- mentally he was ready first day even with Kelly on the field. Kelly was better physical qb(Best ever at The U) than Bernie but Bernie had ice water in veins, liquid cooled super computer upstairs and he IT factor.

The family trusted Coach Ax and he and Mike became inseparable Even thru the Dallas years. People who knew Hubbard Alexander call him One of the great teachers and best people ever to come through UM
I understand that and I agree but the topic is Canes we almost missed on. Irvin was considering Michigan St and LSU. He even said he wasn't looking into the Canes but Coach Smith kept bring the Canes up

Bernie is from my hometown is good enough. Kosar is the coolest I have even known. You could ice your beer on his arm. I was well connected during Howard's day and you knew Kosar was the man from the first moment. Howard redhirted him for year to mature physical -- mentally he was ready first day even with Kelly on the field. Kelly was better physical qb(Best ever at The U) than Bernie but Bernie had ice water in veins, liquid cooled super computer upstairs and he IT factor.
I still say Testeverde was without question the Best QB we've had in terms of Athleticism (Arm...Scrambling abilities..etc...) His scramble against OU literally iced the Heisman for him...But in ref to Brains....Kosar and Dorsey are 1 & 2...

Advertisement
Back