Canes we almost missed out on

TipDrill

5 Star Interneter
Premium
Not sure if this is better suited in The recruiting board but I was just wondering for a lot of recruiting veterans here which one of our legends here at Miami did we almost miss out on? Who did we steal away? Any interesting stories?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Not sure if this is better suited in The recruiting board but I was just wondering for a lot of recruiting veterans here which one of our legends here at Miami did we almost miss out on? Who did we steal away? Any interesting stories?
Kellen Winslow, Jr. is a pretty interesting one. He tried to commit to Washington on signing day, but Senior wouldn't sign the NLI. The public reason he gave was because Rick Neuheisel didn't have any black assistants, which Senior thought his son should think more critically of. Meanwhile the recently hired Coker had Randy, Vernon Hargreaves, and Curtis Johnson on staff. He picked us a few days later I believe. Another rumored reason for it was that Neuheisel was a scab player in the NFL when the players went on strike, and Senior supposedly held a grudge against him over it.

Russell Maryland was the last addition to his class whichever year that was.

Ray Lewis was one of the last ones (maybe the last) in his class, too.

Don't think Butch was too high on Frank Gore and he was committed to Ole Miss, I think until Coker took over.

He offered him and Roscoe Parrish and that got them to Miami.

These are a few that come to mind off the top of the head.

Plenty of others.

Kellen Winslow, Jr. is a pretty interesting one. He tried to commit to Washington on signing day, but Senior wouldn't sign the NLI. The public reason he gave was because Rick Neuheisel didn't have any black assistants, which Senior thought his son should think more critically of. Meanwhile the recently hired Coker had Randy, Vernon Hargreaves, and Curtis Johnson on staff. He picked us a few days later I believe. Another rumored reason for it was that Neuheisel was a scab player in the NFL when the players went on strike, and Senior supposedly held a grudge against him over it.
Here's an article about it. Forgot that Senior wanted him to go to Michigan St., and Miami was the compromise

Don't think Butch was too high on Frank Gore and he was committed to Ole Miss, I think until Coker took over.

Plenty of others.

IIRC, I thought the issue with Gore was that we didn't think we could get him in to school b/c of academics. Gore and Scoe were all set to go to Ole Miss when Miami figured out a way to make it work with Gore and of course, Roscoe came along. That's what I recall.

I recall DJWilliams on the boards. This was back when grassy was around (the guy himself). There was a hot rumor that DJW was a silent but grassy and the mods were trying to keep it super tight lipped - deleting threads, etc fearing that if word got out, we'd lose DJ (who, of course, was a HUGE recruit).

Advertisement
IIRC, I thought the issue with Gore was that we didn't think we could get him in to school b/c of academics. Gore and Scoe were all set to go to Ole Miss when Miami figured out a way to make it work with Gore and of course, Roscoe came along. That's what I recall.

I recall DJWilliams on the boards. This was back when grassy was around (the guy himself). There was a hot rumor that DJW was a silent but grassy and the mods were trying to keep it super tight lipped - deleting threads, etc fearing that if word got out, we'd lose DJ (who, of course, was a HUGE recruit).
The DJ buzz was my first introduction to recruiting. And that's how I remember the Gore/Roscoe situation going down. Coker got hired and offered Roscoe, then Gore flipped and got a qualifying test score.

Gore did have the academic issue.

But I'd heard that Coker was the one who brought both Gore and Parrish into the fold because they weren't top priorities when Butch was running the show.

Didn’t expect Stacy Coley, thought he was FSU. I remember some Boars Head dude kept calling Joe Rose and telling him Stacy was coming to Miami.

I asked Jimmy Johnson on twitter (he actually responded) what recruit surprised him the most even they signed with Miami and he said Jessie Armstead

I remember dumb *** Jon Colon who signed with both us and Florida on signing day. He was a OL and Butch eventually just let him out of our LOI just to end the drama

Leshawn McCoy signed with us but everyone knew he wouldn’t qualify

DJ Williams waited a few days before commiting and signing with us. Always thought he led but lots of Smoke from Cal. Actually remember having a member on Grassy call me at a department store I worked at to let me know who signed because I didn’t have a cell phone

Advertisement

Forgot his dad wanted him at Michigan St due to black head coach and Miami was the mutual agreement

Plenty of others.

Butch didn’t want Roscoe, he always wanted Frank

Advertisement
Back