Canes we almost missed out on

Advertisement
I asked Jimmy Johnson on twitter (he actually responded) what recruit surprised him the most even they signed with Miami and he said Jessie Armstead

1jarmstead.jpg

Advertisement
Okay.

Was misinformed on that one.

Don't recall him being recruited at all until very late after Coker had taken over.

Wrong...Butch was well aware of Gores capabilities...No question Gore would've been a Cane if Butch stayed...

He never sat out a yr...His Sr yr at Riviera was 2002....He played at UM from 2003-05
He was in the '02 class and failed to qualify. He didn't enroll until '03.

He still did not sit out a yr...his final HS game was the Fl vs Cali game....he played at UM the following yr...he was eventually cleared by Clearinghouse...

Advertisement
He still did not sit out a yr...his final HS game was the Fl vs Cali game....he played at UM the following yr...he was eventually cleared by Clearinghouse...
He signed a letter of intent in February of 2002.

He played in the 2002 CaliFlorida Bowl, on Jan 2, 2002.

Gino. Only offers were Washington and Wazzou. Happened to have a brother on the 85&86 squad and Jimmy gave him an offer in 88. The rest is history. Ironically the Wazzou coach at that time was Dennis Erickson.
I believe that brother held the singe game passing yards record at Miami until Gino broke it.

That’s what I thought

Advertisement
Alex Collins mom stole his LOI and wouldn’t let him sign with Arkansas she wanted him at Miami

Osa Nosa was a huge DT and canes commit but grades were terrible and had to sign with WVU and cried on signing day
Losing Collins sealed Golden's fate. Had he gone here, Alex would have been in Tally the night Duke went down as we were driving. Collins was a beast and at that point nole D was sucking for air. Those fresh legs, speed, and power might have won the game for us, took us to 8-0 and ruined noles' NC. That was THAT recruit who use to come in and make you forget the great he replace(nothing against Duke who is my favorite Cane after The Stork). Golden still suck but beating gator and noles in same year might have started a fire even he could not have put out. Win title that year and Al jumps to NFL immediately and we have change to revive again. Alex Collins, to me, was the single biggest lost recruit we ever had.

I remember reading an interview with Hester after signing where he talked about Bobby Bowden ****ed up his pitch and it played in our favor. Bobby kept telling him Miami's depth chart was too loaded and he should come to FSU where he'll get playing time earlier. Hester took it as a slap in the face and said, "If you don't think I'm good enough to play early there, why are you recruiting me?"

Advertisement
I remember reading an interview with Hester after signing where he talked about Bobby Bowden ****ed up his pitch and it played in our favor. Bobby kept telling him Miami's depth chart was too loaded and he should come to FSU where he'll get playing time earlier. Hester took it as a slap in the face and said, "If you don't think I'm good enough to play early there, why are you recruiting me?"

i always loved the story about Graig Cooper going on an OV to Tennessee and Fulmer kept calling him Craig and calling his dad Mr Cooper even though that wasn’t his last name.

I miss Fat Phil

Advertisement
Back