Canes we almost missed out on

Bernie is from my hometown is good enough. Kosar is the coolest I have even known. You could ice your beer on his arm. I was well connected during Howard's day and you knew Kosar was the man from the first moment. Howard redhirted him for year to mature physical -- mentally he was ready first day even with Kelly on the field. Kelly was better physical qb(Best ever at The U) than Bernie but Bernie had ice water in veins, liquid cooled super computer upstairs and he IT factor.
Known Bernie and his family since he was a kid. Played at Boardman High School and dreamed about playing at Ohio State from the time he was a kid. Earle Bruce never offered as Bernie didn’t look the part so a Ytown businessman and UM alum contacted Howard and that’s the story. Jimmy signed another Boardman kid in 88, Jason Marucci to play fullback. Bernie had a brilliant football mind.

Advertisement
I still say Testeverde was without question the Best QB we've had in terms of Athleticism (Arm...Scrambling abilities..etc...) His scramble against OU literally iced the Heisman for him...But in ref to Brains....Kosar and Dorsey are 1 & 2...
Agree on Vinny just couldn’t win a ring but so talented. Also Gino always had free reign at the LOS. Quite a run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gore did have the academic issue.

But I'd heard that Coker was the one who brought both Gore and Parrish into the fold because they weren't top priorities when Butch was running the show.
Frank Gore was one of the most legendary prospects in Dade County. The Canes were all over him in recruitment.

Roscoe was nowhere near the level of recruit of Gore or Andre Johnson. But, he was "The Specimen" Andre Johnson's QB at Miami High. Part of the reason the staff ultimately gave him a commitable offer was Dre's insistence (not that Dre was ever going anywhere but The U).

Advertisement
Roscoe was nowhere near the level of recruit of Gore or Andre Johnson. But, he was "The Specimen" Andre Johnson's QB at Miami High. Part of the reason the staff ultimately gave him a commitable offer was Dre's insistence (not that Dre was ever going anywhere but The U).
This is off.. Roscoe wasnt his qb, I forgot Dre qb name.. Roscoe was probably a soph when Dre was a senior. Roscoe did work his junior and senior year tho

Lamar Thomas came here from Gainesville and was a great get by Jimmy. Dude had some huge catches for the Canes, was as tough as any receiver we’ve had, and I know all about the strip.

This is off.. Roscoe wasnt his qb, I forgot Dre qb name.. Roscoe was probably a soph when Dre was a senior. Roscoe did work his junior and senior year tho

IIRC, Dre played QB one year at MHS.

Little known fact - back in 99 practices leading up to the VT team, Dre was the scout team QB charged with mimicking the speed of vick.

Advertisement
I remember that like it was yesterday...
your memory is better than mine but spent some time in Miami the years Dre was here, what a specimen. Saw a few practices with Gino as Chud was coaching TEs then. Mark Stoops then took over for Chuck in 01 so to watch those squads was a pleasure as you well know. Spent more time in Miami from 83-92 and the talent was similar. All conference players were all over the field as were AAs,First Rounders and NFL HOFers. Those two runs of talent and their subsequent NFL careers may never be matched. We might have missed on a guy or two but what we brought to Coral Gables in those two runs was insane. The practices were tougher than most games!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back