Canes showing interest in 4-star DB Ortiz

Advertisement
We have a much better chance of getting a commit from this kid than any of the South Fla kids we're after.

And Ortiz would stick. AZ produces some really good players & most of their HS programs are very well coached.

This kid is a take in this class all day. Building a pipeline into places like TX, AZ & Nevada will pay dividends for us in the future.
Totally agree. Minus the great distance I always figured we'd have more of a presence in a state like Arizona and hopefully getting this kid turns into a pipeline similar to what we have with the Vegas Gorman trio.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not impressed? Good thing you're not in charge of recruiting.
If this kid is an automatic take for you, your a horrible judge of talent. I want DBs that can cover. His highlights show very little of his coverage ability and the competition looks suspect at best. The main positive I see is that he can tackle, which is a big plus, but doesnt matter much when u cant cover.

I get he is a Miami fan but Rumph is big on ball skills and 1 pick and 6 PBUs aint going to get an offer from him.

Ortiz is a baller. He needs to put on some good weight but has a special nose for the ball. I have been to a number of his games and met him and his family. Steven and his entire family are all HUGE Cane fans. He and his dad traveled across the country, on their own dime, to unofficially visit Miami for a game. The night he left, I watched Ortiz intercept 2 passes before he dashed off to catch a plane to Miami. I'm not sure where Rivals gets their numbers. Unfortunately, we may have missed our window by slow playing him. Other top programs (Penn State, Oregon, Washington, etc) were able to establish a beachhead. If we had offered last fall, I feel he would have committed. Not so sure now.

Advertisement
As much as y’all talk about this dude he better commit immediately after being offered.

Ortiz is a baller. He needs to put on some good weight but has a special nose for the ball. I have been to a number of his games and met him and his family. Steven and his entire family are all HUGE Cane fans. He and his dad traveled across the country, on their own dime, to unofficially visit Miami for a game. The night he left, I watched Ortiz intercept 2 passes before he dashed off to catch a plane to Miami. I'm not sure where Rivals gets their numbers. Unfortunately, we may have missed our window by slow playing him. Other top programs (Penn State, Oregon, Washington, etc) were able to establish a beachhead. If we had offered last fall, I feel he would have committed. Not so sure now.

Slow playing? We are a year from signing day. Since when are CB's out of Arizona supposed to be our first offers out? Kid should be ecstatic he got an offer this early considering he lives on the other side of the country.

Advertisement
I get he is a Miami fan but Rumph is big on ball skills and 1 pick and 6 PBUs aint going to get an offer from him.

We have seen Rumph take guys that don't have great ball skills...Also no one is putting a crazy emphasis on high school stats over tape and camp performance. That's reaching big time

We have seen Rumph take guys that don't have great ball skills...Also no one is putting a crazy emphasis on high school stats over tape and camp performance. That's reaching big time

Really? What Corner has Rumph taken that didnt have balk skills? None. Rumph values corners that play both ways.

Really? What Corner has Rumph taken that didnt have balk skills? None. Rumph values corners that play both ways.

Blades and Ivey ain't exactly Dixon and Minniefield out there...

Many corners do play both ways in high school, has nothing to do with Rumph. Also, I don't believe Blades or Ivey played both ways, did Couch? I know he returned kicks here and there. If so, very little WR?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back