Canes showing interest in 4-star DB Ortiz

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With the Miami Hurricanes again set to take multiple defensive backs during this upcoming cycle, the staff is canvassing the country to find the perfect fits for the program. That search has expanded to the west coast, as cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph has recently taken an interest in 2021 Desert Edge (AZ) 4-star DB Steven Ortiz.

“[Rumph] called me and he was just talking to me about what he liked about me as a player and that he wanted to start to build a relationship with me,” Ortiz said. “He felt like I was versatile enough to play nickel or corner or safety.”

Rumph spent time talking with Ortiz’s father as well and ended the conversation promising to head out to Arizona in May to watch a spring practice at Desert Edge, which could potentially lead to an offer for the star DB. That news was huge for Ortiz, who comes from a large family of Hurricanes’ fans.

“Miami would be a big offer for me because I have a lot of family down there who are big Miami fans and they have a great history with DB’s,” Ortiz said.

The 5-10 170 pound prospect visited UM’s campus in fall of 2018 and said he would take another trip to Coral Gables if offered, but stopped short of saying he would commit.

“Not really, I wouldn’t commit right away,” Ortiz said. “I want to go to where the best fit is for myself as a player and person.”

With the Canes hovering just on the edges of this recruitment, Ortiz will continue to look for that best fit in the meantime, and he’s planning on taking his official visits in the spring and summer. In the past, Ortiz has unofficially visited Washington, Oregon, Penn State, Arizona, and Oregon State; he has offers from each of those programs.

“I am hoping to commit sometime before the season, but I’m not sure yet,” Ortiz said. “The most important thing for me is being somewhere that has a plan for me as an athlete once I get there. A place where I have a great relationship with the coaches and feels like home."

As a junior for the Scorpions this past season, Ortiz finished with 83 tackles, 6 PBU’s, and 1 interception; Desert Edge went 10-4, but fell in the state title game to Mesquite, 28-23.

“Junior year was great for me, and my team made it all the way to states, but we lost in the finals,” Ortiz said. “So we aren’t satisfied at all. Everyone has been working hard so that we don’t fall short again.

“I play with a lot of passion and with an edge. I have a nose for the ball and can play a lot of different spots depending on what the team needs. I’m a team first player.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
“Not really, I wouldn’t commit right away,” Ortiz said.
We have a much better chance of getting a commit from this kid than any of the South Fla kids we're after.

And Ortiz would stick. AZ produces some really good players & most of their HS programs are very well coached.

This kid is a take in this class all day. Building a pipeline into places like TX, AZ & Nevada will pay dividends for us in the future.

We have a much better chance of getting a commit from this kid than any of the South Fla kids we're after.

So you are saying we don't have a prayer at Knowles, Mcburrows, Edwards, or Marshall (most agree on Marshall)...But not at the other 3 either (and I know all of them may not be auto-takes at this time)? I didn't think it was that bad on those 3? Gogeta hinted Knowles likes UM

Advertisement

So you are saying we don't have a prayer at Knowles, Mcburrows, Edwards, or Marshall (most agree on Marshall)...But not at the other 3 either (and I know all of them may not be auto-takes at this time)? I didn't think it was that bad on those 3? Gogeta hinted Knowles likes UM
Given what you've seen from our DB recruiting over the last 4 years, what does your gut tell you?

Given what you've seen from our DB recruiting over the last 4 years, what does your gut tell you?

Ya I mean there's that...But I'm hoping with improvement, and that's not mission impossible on EVERY one of them. I'll admit that I think Rumph doesn't seem have much pull with locals. I just didn't think we were dead in the water with all of them

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back