Canes showing interest in 4-star DB Ortiz

Advertisement
Our coaches care just as much about tackling as ball skills. Or anything else for that matter. If you can’t tackle in this system you’re a no go. Especially on the boundary.

I get he is a Miami fan but Rumph is big on ball skills and 1 pick and 6 PBUs aint going to get an offer from him.
So I guess he wouldn't have taken Kelee Ringo either if you're going off those stats? Ortiz had 5 Int's sophomore year with 3 break ups. Kid can cover, he's also very physical. He knows how to shed a block and tackles well against the run.

Ortiz is a Plan D option for us.

Rumph likes physical Tall and Long corners with Ball skills.

Advertisement
Not true at all

I agree...I love it when people say...Rumph likes tall, long corners...Rumph likes this, Rumph likes that.

Rumph has taken (and mostly missed) on all types of corners, and have the time with the way he switches gears, he doesn't even know what the **** he wants.

And I'm not defending or downgrading Ortiz at all. But some of these guys posting this nonsense, speaking in absolutes about Rumph and others posting Rumph has no say with who gets offered...None of this BS is true, the truth likes in the middle.

I like this kid. His Sophomore hudl looks better than his JR hudl. That doesn't mean he took a step back and it doesn't mean he's taken a step forward.

Last edited:
We haven’t contacted him since that call a week or even more ago. We never got back to the 7v7 team and now they will be as a team attending Oregon, Washington, and to make it worse UiF and FSPOO. How a 7v7 team with that much talent is even reaching out and we don’t care is unreal

Advertisement
Goodyear (Ariz.) Desert Edge High School DB Steven Ortiz has caught the eye of Miami Hurricanes coaches.

He says Mike Rumph plans to visit his school at some point this spring, and the two have been corresponding.

“His message was just that he wants to start building a relationship with me,” Ortiz said. “He talks to me a little bit about what he liked about my film and stuff like that.”

Ortiz says Miami likes him as a cornerback or safety, and that he’s well aware of the Canes’ history with talented safeties.

“I know they have a great staff on defense right now and I know they have a great tradition of defensive players,” Ortiz said.

While he’s not listing any favorites, Ortiz says if Miami winds up offering - which he anticipates - the program would factor high into his thinking.

“Miami would be a big offer for me because they are a great program with a lot of history and I have a lot of family in Florida who are big Miami fans,” Ortiz said.

Ortiz lists 19 offers, including the likes of Oregon, Penn State, Mississippi State, Washington and Duke.

We haven’t contacted him since that call a week or even more ago. We never got back to the 7v7 team and now they will be as a team attending Oregon, Washington, and to make it worse UiF and FSPOO. How a 7v7 team with that much talent is even reaching out and we don’t care is unreal

because we have like 2-3 ..7 on 7 teams locally with more talent than them that wehave a problem locking down

Advertisement
I like this kid. His Sophomore hudl looks better than his JR hudl. That doesn't mean he took a step back and it all doesn't mean he's taken a step forward.
For what it's worth, a college DB coach who is recruiting him looked at all of his film, not just his highlights, from his freshman year through junior year. He told Ortiz that it's noticeable that opposing OC's were avoiding him his junior year. He had fewer passes thrown his way and fewer opportunities. I won't divulge which DB coach said it in case the family doesn't want that info out here.

so what happened fill me in?.
The 7v7 team Ortiz is on reached out to the canes awhile back and it took us forever to even respond. On their own dime they wanted to come play a tournament and get on campus while here. We never set anything up with them so they booked other trips. Team consists of Sam Huard, J.T Tuimoloau, Jabez Tinae, Troy Franklin, Julien Simon, and a bunch of 3/4 stars. https://gofordsports.com/fsp-7-7-select/

Advertisement
I agree...I love it when people say...Rumph likes tall, long corners...Rumph likes this, Rumph likes that.

Rumph has taken (and mostly missed) on all types of corners, and have the time with the way he switches gears, he doesn't even know what the **** he wants.

And I'm not defending or downgrading Ortiz at all. But some of these guys posting this nonsense, speaking in absolutes about Rumph and others posting Rumph has no say with who gets offered...None of this BS is true, the truth likes in the middle.

people forget he was banging the table for Asante and Manny vetoed it. Rumph’s type are physical, hard nosed guys...that’s it.

people forget he was banging the table for Asante and Manny vetoed it. Rumph’s type are physical, hard nosed guys...that’s it.

I'm not sure about that either...DJ Ivey has never been physical at any point in his career...It was a concern I had with him out of high school...Al Blades really needs to become more physical as well.

Where's the pic of him and bandy? Looking at that again and knowing bandy is 5'7" and some change I think it's safe to say ortiz is probably around 5'9" or 5'10"

Advertisement
Back