Canes should not lose more than 2 regular season games

Advertisement
My man, that was pre-CFP. W/ this 4 team format, and us being ranked outside the top 5, that ain’t happening pimp juice. That LSU team was ranked #2 to start the season.

Let's play this (admittedly unlikely) scenario out:

Preseason polls say Miami opens the season ranked #16 (preseason polls have us between 16-18). Miami beats #1 Bama. If we beat Bama to win the opener, Miami is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top 10 or just outside to start week 2. In other NCAA football news, Michigan State dominates NWestern on the road in its opener and is ranked #25 by week 3 (not an insane prospect). Miami wins handily at MSU and the next three, then the bye. Decent chance at being in the top 6 in that scenario (that would be a 5-0 Miami team with a win over #1 Bama and #25 Michigan). Then we are on the road at UNC, which might be a matchup with two top 10 teams. For the sake of argument let's say they are #10. We lose in triple OT (following the 2007 LSU model). So Miami drops down #10 (now 6-1, win over #1, #25, and triple OT loss to #10- being ranked #10 isn't that wildly unrealistic).

Then a big bounce back against #22 ranked NC St, unranked Pitt, and #24 ranked GT (let's say they are the most surprising team of the season). A couple teams ahead of us have losses (UGA and Oklahoma are always leading candidates for that). So now at 8-1 (victories over #1, #22, 24, #25) and we've now worked our way back to #6ish. But some bad news, lets say King gets dinged up a bit against GT (he will probably miss a game or two, that's not that unusual for a QB) and is out for FSU. Garcia does well but Miami loses in triple OT on the road at Doak to an unranked FSU. Now, is losing a triple OT game on the road to our biggest rival while missing our QB an epic embarrassment on the level of the FIU loss? I say its not. So that drops us back down to #12. Then we finish the regular acc slate with a win over ranked #23 VT and unranked Duke.

So that's 10-2 with wins over 5 ranked teams and two triple OT losses, which gets us to #10 to finish the regular season. #10 isn't that crazy, UF had two losses and was #10 at the end of week 13 in 2019; in 2018 LSU was #7 with two losses and UF was #11 with 3 losses to end week 13. UNC ends up losing three ACC games- let's give them the same losses they had last year- VT, FSU, plus the surprising GT. #10 Miami goes into the ACC championship game against #1 Clemson and wins decisively.

Would you say its absurd for an 11-2 P5 conference champ with wins over 6 ranked teams (#1 Bama, #1 Clemson, #22 NC St, #23 VT, #24 GT, #25 MSU) and two triple OT losses (one of which was to a top 10 team and the other to an unranked rival while missing our starting QB) to have a chance at the playoffs? For any other team, the answer would be of course not. But since most Miami fans have gaping vaginas, the answer is typically, "well, that may be possible for any team but Miami."

And I want to reiterate this - I'm not saying this is a viable path for Miami or one we should count on. The point is that it is unlikely but it's not some completely outlandish 1 in a gazillion scenario. We saw the same thing happen only 13 years ago, and that was when only the #1 and #2 team had a shot at the NC- now 4 teams have a shot at the playoffs. Stranger things HAVE happened in CFB.

Last edited:
I could see us losing four game also could see us losing two. Hope our wins ain't nail biters and we body who we are supposed to body.

When it comes to the HC at Miami, the Board tells Blake (or any other AD) what to do.

It's not like a big state school where the AD has relative autonomy (accompanied by an enormous athletic budget).
Except the board is MiA most of the time. They only get involved if we have a catastrophic season, or to approve a 3 hour coaching search

Advertisement

Preseason polls say Miami opens the season ranked #16 (preseason polls have us between 16-18). Miami beats #1 Bama. If we beat Bama to win the opener, Miami is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top 10 or just outside to start week 2. In other NCAA football news, Michigan State dominate NWestern on the road in its opener and is ranked #25 by week 3 (not an insane prospect). Miami wins handily at MSU and the next three, then the bye. Decent chance at being in the top 6 in that scenario (that would be a 5-0 Miami team with a win over #1 Bama and #25 Michigan). Then we are on the road at UNC, which might be a matchup with two top 10 teams. For the sake of argument let's say they are #10. We lose in triple OT (following the 2007 LSU model). So Miami drops down #10 (now 6-1, win over #1, #25, and triple OT loss to #10- being ranked #10 isn't that wildly unrealistic) . Then a big bounce back against #22 ranked NC St, unranked Pitt, and #24 ranked GT (let's say they are the most surprising team of the season). A couple teams ahead of us have losses (UGA and Oklahoma are always leading candidates for that). So now at 8-1 (victories over #1, #22, 24, #25) and we've now worked our way back to #6. But some bad news, lets say King gets dinged up a bit against GT (he will probably miss a game or two, that's not that unusual for a QB) and is out for FSU. Garcia does well but Miami loses in triple OT on the road at Doak to an unranked FSU. Now, is losing a triple OT game on the road to our biggest rival while missing our QB an epic embarrassment on the level of the FIU loss? I say its not. So that drops us back down to #12. Then we finish the regular acc slate with a win over ranked #23 VT and unranked Duke. 10-2 with wins over 5 ranked teams and two triple OT losses gets to #10 to finish the season. #10 isn't that crazy, UF had two losses and was #10 at the end of week 13 in 2019; in 2018 LSU was #7 with two losses and UF was #11 with 3 losses to end week 13. UNC ends up losing three ACC games- let's give them the same losses they had last year- VT, FSU, plus the surprising GT. #10 Miami goes into the ACC championship game against #1 Clemson and wins decisively. Would you say its absurd for an 11-2 P5 conference champ with wins over 6 ranked teams (#1 Bama, #1 Clemson, #22 NC St, #23 VT, #24 GT, #25 MSU) and two triple OT losses (one of which was to a top 10 team and the other to an unranked rival while missing our starting QB) to have a chance at the playoffs? For any other team, the answer would be of course not. But since most Miami fans have gaping vaginas, the answer is typically, "well, that may be possible for any team but Miami."
Season 5 Lol GIF by Real Husbands of Hollywood

Preseason polls say Miami opens the season ranked #16 (preseason polls have us between 16-18). Miami beats #1 Bama. If we beat Bama to win the opener, Miami is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top 10 or just outside to start week 2. In other NCAA football news, Michigan State dominate NWestern on the road in its opener and is ranked #25 by week 3 (not an insane prospect). Miami wins handily at MSU and the next three, then the bye. Decent chance at being in the top 6 in that scenario (that would be a 5-0 Miami team with a win over #1 Bama and #25 Michigan). Then we are on the road at UNC, which might be a matchup with two top 10 teams. For the sake of argument let's say they are #10. We lose in triple OT (following the 2007 LSU model). So Miami drops down #10 (now 6-1, win over #1, #25, and triple OT loss to #10- being ranked #10 isn't that wildly unrealistic) . Then a big bounce back against #22 ranked NC St, unranked Pitt, and #24 ranked GT (let's say they are the most surprising team of the season). A couple teams ahead of us have losses (UGA and Oklahoma are always leading candidates for that). So now at 8-1 (victories over #1, #22, 24, #25) and we've now worked our way back to #6ish. But some bad news, lets say King gets dinged up a bit against GT (he will probably miss a game or two, that's not that unusual for a QB) and is out for FSU. Garcia does well but Miami loses in triple OT on the road at Doak to an unranked FSU. Now, is losing a triple OT game on the road to our biggest rival while missing our QB an epic embarrassment on the level of the FIU loss? I say its not. So that drops us back down to #12. Then we finish the regular acc slate with a win over ranked #23 VT and unranked Duke. So that's 10-2 with wins over 5 ranked teams and two triple OT losses, which gets us to #10 to finish the regular season. #10 isn't that crazy, UF had two losses and was #10 at the end of week 13 in 2019; in 2018 LSU was #7 with two losses and UF was #11 with 3 losses to end week 13. UNC ends up losing three ACC games- let's give them the same losses they had last year- VT, FSU, plus the surprising GT. #10 Miami goes into the ACC championship game against #1 Clemson and wins decisively. Would you say its absurd for an 11-2 P5 conference champ with wins over 6 ranked teams (#1 Bama, #1 Clemson, #22 NC St, #23 VT, #24 GT, #25 MSU) and two triple OT losses (one of which was to a top 10 team and the other to an unranked rival while missing our starting QB) to have a chance at the playoffs? For any other team, the answer would be of course not. But since most Miami fans have gaping vaginas, the answer is typically, "well, that may be possible for any team but Miami."
Did NOt read, no one cares. a 7-win team could make the playoffs too, if the whole country goes 6-6. Hey it’s possible, not likely though.

Advertisement

Ok Edgelord#44. I vouched for you a few weeks back when you called some posters and coaches "spics" and you got banned - I said that you didn't deserve it because at the time I didn't think you were being a troll and you were just making some offcolor jokes that fell flat. I am very strongly regretting that decision.

Did NOt read, no one cares. a 7-win team could make the playoffs too, if the whole country goes 6-6. Hey it’s possible, not likely though.

WTF are you babbling about? We're not talking about a 7 win team. The question is whether a Power 5 school that finishes 11-2 and wins its conference championship could make the playoffs.

Ok Edgelord#44. I vouched for you when you called some posters "spics" and you got banned - I said that you didn't deserve it because at the time I didn't think you were being a troll and you were just making some offcolor jokes that fell flat. I am very strongly regretting that decision.
First of all I never called a poster that, I made a joke about Diaz being the next "**ic-saban" and got BAND, so that is untrue.

Second of all, I actually like you as a poster but this "Guys if blah, blah, ***king blah happens guys we could get there" stuff is DUMB.

So let's be clear here there is ZERO CHANCE/NONE/NADA/NIL that this team is: (follow along here Bummer)

Going to lose to UNC and FSU and then beat Clemson and Bama in the same football season, it is not even a possibility. They are also not going to lose TWO 3 OT games, and if SOMEHOW that all happened (and it is not possible) they will not have near the schedule the 2007 LSU team had (you keep saying 08 but it was the 07 team). So all you are doing is making us all laugh, and I appreciate it, but don't get so mad, even if it all laughable.

Like I said earlier that all is LESS LIKLEY to happen then you having octuplets on the surface of Uranus and the delivery Dr will be Doogie Howser and the nurse will be Clara Barton

Now relaxxxxx buddy, I would like to see your game by game predictions for the 21 Canes for real, and I would do the same as well? Then we drop this and discuss that, in a civil way.....

Last edited:
10+ - I'm very happy with that
9 - OK/Solid. A little disappointing, but not a "failure"
8 - Disappointing, but not shocking
7 - Disaster

Advertisement

Preseason polls say Miami opens the season ranked #16 (preseason polls have us between 16-18). Miami beats #1 Bama. If we beat Bama to win the opener, Miami is pretty much guaranteed to be in the top 10 or just outside to start week 2. In other NCAA football news, Michigan State dominate NWestern on the road in its opener and is ranked #25 by week 3 (not an insane prospect). Miami wins handily at MSU and the next three, then the bye. Decent chance at being in the top 6 in that scenario (that would be a 5-0 Miami team with a win over #1 Bama and #25 Michigan). Then we are on the road at UNC, which might be a matchup with two top 10 teams. For the sake of argument let's say they are #10. We lose in triple OT (following the 2007 LSU model). So Miami drops down #10 (now 6-1, win over #1, #25, and triple OT loss to #10- being ranked #10 isn't that wildly unrealistic) . Then a big bounce back against #22 ranked NC St, unranked Pitt, and #24 ranked GT (let's say they are the most surprising team of the season). A couple teams ahead of us have losses (UGA and Oklahoma are always leading candidates for that). So now at 8-1 (victories over #1, #22, 24, #25) and we've now worked our way back to #6ish. But some bad news, lets say King gets dinged up a bit against GT (he will probably miss a game or two, that's not that unusual for a QB) and is out for FSU. Garcia does well but Miami loses in triple OT on the road at Doak to an unranked FSU. Now, is losing a triple OT game on the road to our biggest rival while missing our QB an epic embarrassment on the level of the FIU loss? I say its not. So that drops us back down to #12. Then we finish the regular acc slate with a win over ranked #23 VT and unranked Duke. So that's 10-2 with wins over 5 ranked teams and two triple OT losses, which gets us to #10 to finish the regular season. #10 isn't that crazy, UF had two losses and was #10 at the end of week 13 in 2019; in 2018 LSU was #7 with two losses and UF was #11 with 3 losses to end week 13. UNC ends up losing three ACC games- let's give them the same losses they had last year- VT, FSU, plus the surprising GT. #10 Miami goes into the ACC championship game against #1 Clemson and wins decisively. Would you say its absurd for an 11-2 P5 conference champ with wins over 6 ranked teams (#1 Bama, #1 Clemson, #22 NC St, #23 VT, #24 GT, #25 MSU) and two triple OT losses (one of which was to a top 10 team and the other to an unranked rival while missing our starting QB) to have a chance at the playoffs? For any other team, the answer would be of course not. But since most Miami fans have gaping vaginas, the answer is typically, "well, that may be possible for any team but Miami." And I want to reiterate this to people with reading comprehension like Edgelord#44- I'm not saying this is a viable path for Miami or one we should count on. The point is that it is unlikely but it's not some completely outlandish 1 in a gazillion scenario. We saw the same thing happen only 13 years ago, and that was when only the #1 and #2 team had a shot at the NC- now 4 teams have a shot at the playoffs. Stranger things HAVE happened in CFB.
I'm sorry, but I must give your fan fiction only 2 stars. You lose one for having us lose to FSU, one for having us lose to UNC, and one for not hitting the enter button at least once in that paragraph.

Kidding aside, I get your point and I would be overjoyed to have another championship.

It is possible though very very very unlikely. Same scenario where a two loss LSU team won the national championship in 2008. LSU lost to #17 Kentucky and unranked Arkansas in triple OT, then won the SEC championship game and got a spot in the natty. Certainly possible for UNC to be ranked around #17 and FSU to be unranked. Miami still wins the coastal, then beats #1 Clemson in the acc championship game. We would have a strong shot at getting a playoff berth there (dominant win over #1 to start season, two triple OT losses, then another win over #1 in acc championship game). Maybe a better shot than even LSU in 2007 at a playoff spot since there are 4 spots now instead of two.
fqLcYob89OyIg.gif

I will wager $1,000 to $10 that we don't lose two 3 OT games next season

If you don't like that I will give $5,000 to $50 that we do not beat Bama and convincingly beat Clemson

If you don't like that I will give you $500,000 dollars to $5 that we do not lose two 3 OT games, lose to FSU and UNC and beat Clemson (convincingly of course) and Bama

Who wants some action???

Advertisement
That would be a very, very UGLY #. But this is a NEW YEAR MANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you got for our record?
15-0 with the exception of two games that we will be underdogs in and one we are not supposed to lose. Honestly I am just hoping Bama doesn't run for more than UNC did, we put every UNC player in the hospital that's ever put the upside U out there, we beat the **** out of FSU and UF sucks donkey ****s.

Last edited:
Would we all be OK with 2 regular season losses, a possible ACCCG loss and a possible bowl loss?

So 4 total losses possibly, it that a failure?
If we lose to anyone but Bama, Clemson or NY6 team I am going to be disappointed.

Advertisement
Back