Canes should not lose more than 2 regular season games

Advertisement
Would we all be OK with 2 regular season losses, a possible ACCCG loss and a possible bowl loss?

So 4 total losses possibly, it that a failure?

You can't speak in absolutes about this stuff. Yes, we should win ten games. But might we lose in a late season road game by one point at the end of the game after someone suffers a key injury? Would that be "acceptable?"

What if we beat the brakes off Alabama, we're their only loss en route to yet another title, but we drop three games we probably shouldn't?

What if we have one loss and it's getting annihilated by Florida State in the ACCCG after beating them close during the regular season?

I want to see us win the Coastal, I want to see us at least not get blown out in the conference championship, and I want to see us win a bowl game. Short of losing to FSU or getting blown out by someone not named Alabama or Clemson, achieve the above and the record isn't as relevant to me.

Advertisement
There's tons of variables and wins and losses aren't all the same. I would say that more than two regular season losses is a red flag. Unless there's some sort of rash of serious injuries.

Advertisement
You can't speak in absolutes about this stuff. Yes, we should win ten games. But might we lose in a late season road game by one point at the end of the game after someone suffers a key injury? Would that be "acceptable?"

What if we beat the brakes off Alabama, we're their only loss en route to yet another title, but we drop three games we probably shouldn't?

What if we have one loss and it's getting annihilated by Florida State in the ACCCG after beating them close during the regular season?

I want to see us win the Coastal, I want to see us at least not get blown out in the conference championship, and I want to see us win a bowl game. Short of losing to FSU or getting blown out by someone not named Alabama or Clemson, achieve the above and the record isn't as relevant to me.
Of course this was assuming everyone for the most part is healthy, neither of us are Dionne Warwick.......

/are you???

Advertisement
If everything is kosher from injuries etc, yes 10 wins. But that’s the objective ceiling for this roster imo.

I'd argue the ceiling is realistically 11 regular season wins. We're talented and experienced enough to beat everyone but Alabama on paper. We get UNC off a bye (which, yes, I understand hasn't been a good thing, but should be) and the home stretch of games is pretty easy. No late season trap at Pitt or BC, and VT is at home. Schedule sets up pretty nicely, and opening with Bama, for better or worse, is a great way to show the team where it stands and become a motivational ploy for the season.

If this team is as good as it should be, the only solid L is Bama and the only 50/50 game is UNC. We should be favored by a TD+ in every other game.

Advertisement
No it is not

It is possible though very very very unlikely. Same scenario where a two loss LSU team won the national championship in 2008. LSU lost to #17 Kentucky and unranked Arkansas in triple OT, then won the SEC championship game and got a spot in the natty. Certainly possible for UNC to be ranked around #17 and FSU to be unranked. Miami still wins the coastal, then beats #1 Clemson in the acc championship game. We would have a strong shot at getting a playoff berth there (dominant win over #1 to start season, two triple OT losses, then another win over #1 in acc championship game). Maybe a better shot than even LSU in 2007 at a playoff spot since there are 4 spots now instead of two.

I'd argue the ceiling is realistically 11 regular season wins. We're talented and experienced enough to beat everyone but Alabama on paper. We get UNC off a bye (which, yes, I understand hasn't been a good thing, but should be) and the home stretch of games is pretty easy. No late season trap at Pitt or BC, and VT is at home. Schedule sets up pretty nicely, and opening with Bama, for better or worse, is a great way to show the team where it stands and become a motivational ploy for the season.

If this team is as good as it should be, the only solid L is Bama and the only 50/50 game is UNC. We should be favored by a TD+ in every other game.
I just don’t think we’re quite there along the LOS yet. Unless the the oline is markedly more improved we are still gonna have multiple dog fights. And when u get in dog fight a bounce here or there U can go home with a L

It is possible though very very very unlikely. Same scenario where a two loss LSU team won the national championship in 2008. LSU lost to #17 Kentucky and unranked Arkansas in triple OT. Certainly possible for UNC to be ranked around #17 and FSU to be unranked. Miami still wins the coastal, then beats #1 Clemson in the acc championship game. We would be e a strong shot at getting a playoff berth there (dominant win over #1 to start season, two triple OT losses, then another win over #1 in acc championship game)
The only pathway for Miami to be a playoff team is a undefeated regular szn or a 1 loss regular szn with a ACC title game win

The only pathway for Miami to be a playoff team is a undefeated regular szn or a 1 loss regular szn with a ACC title game win

I guess I could just copy paste my earlier post again. It is possible for a two loss Miami team to make the playoffs. The key phrase is "possible but unlikely".

Advertisement
Back