Canes set to hire Arteaga as head coach

Advertisement
on the surface this looks to be a bad hire. But he will be hiring a new pitching coach...and hopefully it won't be the same as it's been. If not we'll be doing this all over in a couple years.
OK, Edit 6:30 p.m. After reading more into the hiring situation, I'm angry like everyone else. If what's being reported is true, the Wake Forrest coach wanted the job and Rad didn't hire him?

So, the Coach of Year who built the #1 team in the nation at a private institution like UM wasn't selected. OMG!!! Instead we promote internally.

I can only think that Tom Walter was commanding more money than UM was willing to pay which tells me they are not serious about investing in baseball. This upsets me.

Tom Walter is going to make it a point to embarrass UM. Every time we get smoked by WF, it will be a reminder of the guy we didn't hire and the guy we did hire. WOW!!!!

A lot of my post below still applies.

I'm interested in who he hires as assistants and also what his offensive philosophy will be.

I think people are just calling it a bad hire out of anger because they wanted someone outside of the program. However, It does seem like there was some internal forces at work. I won't call it a bad hire, but I don't think it was the best hire and he shouldn't have been the 1st choice as it has been reported. Pollard at Duke would have been my #1. Tom Walter from WF is my #2. My #2 would have been Troy Tulowitzki. I think he could recruit top players especially with a serious NIL budget to work with.

The major question I have is whether the UM supporters who wanted JD will invest in the program. Mario demanded the investment in football as part of his hire. I don't think JD has anywhere near the same clout and that may be to his demise.

If they want a serious national condenter, a serious investment in NIL for baseball must be a part of the strategy. LSU baseball has spent more money than any other program on NIL and have several future MLB stars on their roster. Being that UM is a private institution, it is imperative that a huge investment in baseball NIL take place to not only put money in player's pockets, but to offset the high cost of attendance that has handicapped private schools over public ones since baseball is limited to 11.7 scholarships.

Otherwise, there won't be much of a chance for success. The team will make the postseason and go quietly in their regionals.

You have to be a player in the NIL game to acquire the best talent. Mario said it best, "It's about talent acquisition."

There's a great opportunity since MLB cut back on the number of draft rounds. Kids can choose to go to college and get the same or more money than signing a professional contract. If Miami invests heavily in NIL, they could hoard a lot of top talent.

Last edited:
RIP to the legendary Canes Baseball program

March 3, 1940 - June 26, 2023

Roses Funeral GIF by Un si grand soleil

I liked the fact he referenced Coach Morris and rarely referred to Gino. He obviously said a lot of the right things, lets see if his actions match his words. Question? Has he been a good factor as a recruiter?

Advertisement
why is he a coward? he's the 1st person I've seen talk this way about Rad publicly

I think saying JD was the schools top choice is even worse than getting turned down lol. makes it sound like were even more poorly run.

football is a **** show but getting better maybe -- hired and fired his entire staff (most of the staff actually) after 1 year, recruiting is elite so thats good
rad - increased ST pricing even tho the team was trash and came off a poorly attended season
basketball is ELITE - thanks for rad not doing anything dumb there. L fell into rad 1.0s lap
baseball - rad extended Gino after a **** ending to another season and then resigned a year later only to hire the weakest part of the staff as the head man
at least we got new buildings being put up though

Advertisement
why is he a coward? he's the 1st person I've seen talk this way about Rad publicly

You’re interpreting this wrong. Claiming Pollard turned Miami down, which has been alluded to by multiple people, means JD wasn’t the top choice. He just bowed down to the money who pushed for JD.

He can have his own opinion on what he thinks of the hire, but they don’t want him saying JD was the backup plan.

Advertisement

He spoke his opinion, which was 100% on point.

Then he ****ed on it and lit it on fire, because someone told him to.

That’s a coward. Just don’t post your opinion in the first place.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back